Increase font size
Topic Title: Processor with physics
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2006 09:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2006 09:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ReneW

Hi, anybody of you ever thought of adding a physic coprocessor for gaming?
Since you aquired ATI it shouldn't take long to add such a feature.
Just put the graphic chip in (and dont use it as a grafic card as you had in mind with the new portable CPUs)

Br.
 10/31/2006 09:15 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Not exactly a coprocessor, but both AMD and nVidia(?) have 3 pcie slot configurations coming out in which you can use SLI or Crossfire, then add a third card just for physics processing. Should be interesting. Also there are the Ageia things...

-------------------------
My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 11/01/2006 05:40 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

i think ageia is better..

11/01/2006 06:54 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

When its on a video card, probably ageia but right now it cant compair just due to being on pci bus. Integrated will be so much faster. Specially when teamed up with wicked fast gpu and mem. They can def get them working together faster all on one board. But you loose the physics everytime you upgrade video that way. Guess you cant really win.
 11/01/2006 07:07 AM

Author Icon
ganstafm

at the moment i wouldnt get a physics card as very few games utilzes the performance. on untill more games use it will it start to populated and become popular

AMD 3700+ | A8N-SLI SE | Mid R600 | PC4000 Ballistix
 11/01/2006 09:18 AM

Author Icon
konfuzd

With AMD's upcomming "fusion" chip, I you could use the onboard video for physics processing and leave your descrete chip to do the graphics. In a stream computing situation, there would be far more bandwidth allowing it to function as an x87 coprocessor.

For the physx card, I'm not sure if it will ever catch on. Ageia has created a fantastically powerfull physics engine that runs entirely in software (aka not specific to their physx chip). Their PPU only comes into play when the processing of certain features is offloaded from the CPU. Given the skyrocketing power of the CPU, the advent of stream computing, and the physx engine's amazing abillities, I think it's only a matter of time before ageia drops the physx card for the overabundant and increasingly general purpose power of the GPU.

If all else fails, hit it harder.
 11/01/2006 09:56 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: konfuzd
With AMD's upcomming "fusion" chip, I you could use the onboard video for physics processing and leave your descrete chip to do the graphics. In a stream computing situation, there would be far more bandwidth allowing it to function as an x87 coprocessor.

For the physx card, I'm not sure if it will ever catch on. Ageia has created a fantastically powerfull physics engine that runs entirely in software (aka not specific to their physx chip). Their PPU only comes into play when the processing of certain features is offloaded from the CPU. Given the skyrocketing power of the CPU, the advent of stream computing, and the physx engine's amazing abillities, I think it's only a matter of time before ageia drops the physx card for the overabundant and increasingly general purpose power of the GPU.

How many games will use and need a physics card to improve play. When will the physics chip be on a video card.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 11/01/2006 10:15 AM

Author Icon
ganstafm

that would be much better if it was on a video card

AMD 3700+ | A8N-SLI SE | Mid R600 | PC4000 Ballistix
 11/01/2006 10:29 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: ganstfm
that would be much better if it was on a video card

It would add a few hundred to the adapter.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information