AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Water Hydrolysis
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/15/2006 10:33 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2006 01:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Posts: 1492
Joined: 10/07/2003

ok about electrolysis,

Multiple cells's and or plates don't really help, neither does high voltage. Its all about current and the surface area of the plates maximising electron flow.

For a back yard expermeint or lab you would use a drop of acid in reasonably pure water, the drop of acid is to ionise some of the water and allow current to flow in the normally almost non conuctive water.

Your choice of plates is quite important as the electron/ion flow usualy eat your plates.

Industrial grade electrolysis is done on steam with some funky additions like catalyising chemcial and plate setup.

If you can't find waht you are looking for on the interweb(you should be able to tho), try a library, or even uni library.

The electrolysis of water and recombining of h2 and o2 to make water always cost a fair bit of energy , as electrolysyis is not particulaly efficient.

I hope you don't think you will actually make surplus power using your setup, if so read some books on thermodynamic..cause it just does not work that way.

Tho you make some fun hydrogen gas bombs.

Burning just the hydrogen by itself makes a nice fireball.

Mixing the hydrogen and oxygen well before igniting makes quite an explosive combination...for best results place in a plastic conatainer(coke bottle) and ignite from remote location. A long stick is probably not further enough away
 02/16/2006 02:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Carlz0r
Senior Member

Posts: 5326
Joined: 02/07/2004

quote:

Originally posted by: Bitey
ok about electrolysis,

Multiple cells's and or plates don't really help, neither does high voltage. Its all about current and the surface area of the plates maximising electron flow.

For a back yard expermeint or lab you would use a drop of acid in reasonably pure water, the drop of acid is to ionise some of the water and allow current to flow in the normally almost non conuctive water.

Your choice of plates is quite important as the electron/ion flow usualy eat your plates.

Industrial grade electrolysis is done on steam with some funky additions like catalyising chemcial and plate setup.

If you can't find waht you are looking for on the interweb(you should be able to tho), try a library, or even uni library.

The electrolysis of water and recombining of h2 and o2 to make water always cost a fair bit of energy , as electrolysyis is not particulaly efficient.

I hope you don't think you will actually make surplus power using your setup, if so read some books on thermodynamic..cause it just does not work that way.

Tho you make some fun hydrogen gas bombs.

Burning just the hydrogen by itself makes a nice fireball.

Mixing the hydrogen and oxygen well before igniting makes quite an explosive combination...for best results place in a plastic conatainer(coke bottle) and ignite from remote location. A long stick is probably not further enough away


Nope, I don't plan on making surplus power with this setup. For plates I am unsure as to what to use at this point in time. Looking at different materials, seeing what the costs are.

-------------------------
The fanboyism issue got worse. I'm gone (for now) got better again, I'm occasionally back.<br><br>Don't be stupid. Conroe > K8L SAYS WHO? K8L > Conroe SAYS WHO? No Benches = No Comparision<br>PortalForums Admin
 02/16/2006 11:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
anonxxx
Senior Member

Posts: 446
Joined: 01/17/2005

Try the following website:

http://print.google.com

http://www.archive.org

In Israel there is a company that make car that produce hydrogen:

http://www.engineuity.co.il

I heard research about creating hydrogen using Bio-Technology (Bactery) or Nano Technology.

There is also a research on hydrogen production using Nuclear reactors.
 02/16/2006 11:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Carlz0r
Senior Member

Posts: 5326
Joined: 02/07/2004

quote:

Originally posted by: Bitey
Well I just assumed its not hydrogen fusion device, cause you don't stand a chance of getting anywhere doing that.

But hydrogen is a vary cool way of storing energy for thing like cars, mainly using fual cells, but you can use for combustion as well...hence my post.

I had a s5h1t load of fun making hydrogen gas explosions at high school as well as some other silly things.

If he's got some funky idea for using normal hydrogen...the none heavy stuff, then good on him, we may well be heading to "hydrogen" economy in the future anyways(fuel cells mainly)

One of the intersting ways of getting hydrogen from water is using certain kinds of algy that do this naturally.


Nope, not a fusion device. It is going to be used in a very constructive manner, dont worry. If I can't get the money to do this, I may release the design to anyone willing to help on this project.

-------------------------
The fanboyism issue got worse. I'm gone (for now) got better again, I'm occasionally back.<br><br>Don't be stupid. Conroe > K8L SAYS WHO? K8L > Conroe SAYS WHO? No Benches = No Comparision<br>PortalForums Admin
 02/16/2006 11:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ
Senior Member

Posts: 13327
Joined: 06/10/2005

If I can't get the money to do this,

thats where my financing comes in! keep it secret and patented, i give you $XXX, you give me a percentage of earnings

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 02/16/2006 12:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Posts: 11102
Joined: 11/05/2003

Fastest way to produce hydrogen large scale is to crack crude oil at various temperatures and pressures, the lighest materials can be cracked at lowest tempaertures and pressures...

Deuterium is used in the CANDU reactor as a moderator, it is produced at Bruce facility near Tiverton, Ontario Canada...


Simple way to make hydrogen at home...Solar powered.

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

Now storing it can be a problem...

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!


MODERATOR
 02/16/2006 12:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bp1019
Senior Member

Posts: 2434
Joined: 08/24/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: TheReturnOfAZ
If I can't get the money to do this,

thats where my financing comes in! keep it secret and patented, i give you $XXX, you give me a percentage of earnings




A percentage minus my percentage! If you want to patent it and market it Carl I'll jump onboard too. Lets all make a killing!

-------------------------

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 02/16/2006 06:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
someone124
Senior Member

Posts: 2213
Joined: 10/09/2004

methinks searching through google is the only good way to find answers.

i know that adding sodium carbonate (if i remembert correctly) and then running about 12-15 volts through the water will make hydrogen and oxygen, that's about it though, if you don't add sodium carbonate then you have to run a lot of electricity through it and it takes a long time, so it's not efficient.

-------------------------
Got F@H?|This is why we use AMD | Proud Owner of a DFI board| HUG ME!|
<img src="http://di
 02/16/2006 07:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Posts: 11102
Joined: 11/05/2003

Put H2SO4 (Sulphuric acid) or NH4NO3 (Ammonium Nitrate)in the water.. that's how we did it in Chem...

Regular water does take forever..

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!


MODERATOR
 02/21/2006 05:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jack_The_Ripper
Senior Member

Posts: 730
Joined: 03/21/2004

Currently doing a Bachelor of Science at University of Queensland, so i may be able to get my hands on some stuff, and get some help from fellow students and my professors.
*shrugs*

-------------------------



 02/21/2006 08:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Le_Petit_Lapin
Senior Member

Posts: 4504
Joined: 06/07/2004


I know the missing part of Carlzor's Diagram. Its quite obviously this:

 02/21/2006 10:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ace_spyder
Senior Member

Posts: 1052
Joined: 08/29/2005

quote:

Originally posted by: Le_Petit_Lapin
I know the missing part of Carlzor's Diagram. Its quite obviously this:


OH WOW! That caught me off guard lpl XD. I have a feeling I know what you are building as well.
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » General Technology Chat » Water Hydrolysis

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.



Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information