Topic Title: $10K Dell
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/22/2006 05:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/23/2006 10:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dillwyn

quote:

Originally posted by: MrWicked1968
does having 10 or 15 servers in a rack make the air that much hotter? I've never been in a server room that didn't have it's own climate control system. I'm no IT pro, but it doesn't matter if you're using Intel, AMD or SunSparc servers, if they're not kept cool, you have problems.

If the server room is not cooled properly, sure, it'll get hot very quick.
Imagine your HVAC system for the room is good for what you have, but you start to upgrade/add servers... next thing you know, your HVAC can't handle the heat during that hotspell in August, and your servers start shutting down... What if one of those servers is for MRP, and your manufacturing stops for a few hours while some IT guy tries to find a fan to cool off the server room... who knows how much money was lost?

OK, HVAC is good - what if the whole rack shuts down because of an overloaded PDU? Sure that kind of thing should be noticed when you first setup the server on the rack, but what if servers speed up to meet demand, fans kick in to cool?

I only mention heat because I was once that IT schmuck running around looking for a fan once!

Dan
 03/23/2006 10:55 AM

Author Icon
MrWicked1968
Drunk Mouse Syndrome

what you've just described has nothing to do with the processors in the servers. rather it deals more with either a poorly designed server farm or an ineffective IT manager.

-------------------------
Rig 1: AM2 X2 4850e--MSI K9N Neo V3--2x1gb Mushkin DDR2 800--Sapphire HD4830--Corsair VX450--Acer H213H-Win XP
Rig 2:Athlon X2 7850 Kuma--Biostar 780L--2x1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800--Asus Formula HD4770--Corsair VX450--LG Flatron W2252TQ-Win 7 32-bit Premium
Capitalism rocks!
 03/23/2006 11:11 AM

Author Icon
Dillwyn

quote:

Originally posted by: MrWicked1968
what you've just described has nothing to do with the processors in the servers. rather it deals more with either a poorly designed server farm or an ineffective IT manager.

You're right, it's not just the processors, it's keeping in mind the whole system. That's the point.
Any high end system makes me think, how many of those can I fit in a rack? How much power would that need?
With technologies like Powernow, and Speedstep anyone can setup a server room without thinking too much about the cooling or power needs. But that's like standing on a ledge, just waiting to be pushed off...
 03/23/2006 11:33 AM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

The P4 architecture, no matter how they tweak it, is quite tired and needs to step down. The latest TR review of the 965EE proves this wherein a stock FX-60 certainly does whup an overclocked 965EE.

And a properly-designed "farm" of servers with the correct processors need a significantly less expensive cooling system. I have a rack of Nocona and who knows what else Xeons that I would gladly trade for 2 4P consolidation Opteron boxes. Better performance, performance and value-per-watt and lower cooling requirements by far... even for "stock" Opterons and not the reduced-voltage varieties.
 03/23/2006 12:28 PM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

actually my computer heats my room QUITE well. it has been cold this week, and normally when i open the window when its really cold outside, ever since my computer has been off its been FREEZING in my room

good thing more heat outside means more efficient cooling

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 03/23/2006 03:53 PM

Author Icon
proudmoore2

quote:

Originally posted by: Rico
And the FX can't OC to beat the OC'd Opteron?

well perhaps but seriously though, doesn't the 800 dollar price difference mean anything?

AMD OPTERON 165 at 2.475 GHZ, 2 gigs Corsair XMS, As Rock Sata 2 board. Connect 3D 256mb x1900GT at 591/716, Western digital 160gig SATA, 80 gig ATA 100, Creative Labs X-fi extreme music, Ultra Xconnect 500watt modular, Acer 1916W, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, , Ultra UV wizard Mid T case, Logitech MX 1000 , Logitech z5500 5.1 THX speakers(amp fried so im currently using a set of panosonics 160watt shelf system, 2 speakers, soon to be replaced by z5450s) , Leather Executive chair.
 03/23/2006 04:09 PM

Author Icon
Prelude76

quote:

Originally posted by: striderxdj
Can you even get a board that will run quad sli yet? or is it just the preliminary board that dell came up with?

i'm pretty sure it just uses 2x SLIx16. There are technically only 2 cards, and each one has 2 PCB layers, and and SLI bridge is connected from card 1 to 3, and 2 to 4.

notice how each of the of the double-cards has offset SLI bridge connectors?
 03/23/2006 07:45 PM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by: Silk_the_Absent1
Well, then what would the average X2 be good for heating? The average doublewide? Most X2s are 110-watt parts, so really, I think it's about time for people to get off the "Intel chips run sooo hot..." "How hot are they?" kick. Properly cooled, neither will run too hot. Improperly cooled, both will.

-Adam

110 Watts is the TDP, they consume less than that in Full Load, while the TDP for Intel isn't the maximum amount of Watts than the Processor consumes but just what the cooling solution must be able to dissipate (If anything, the rest is compensated by Thermal Throttling). A P4 EE 3.73 GHz (The old Prescott 2M) is around 150 Watts Full Load, and our good friend Smithfield at 3.2 GHz should be over 170 Watts on Full Load of both Cores. In order for them to not become hot, you need much more cooling than what a K8 needs. I know than Cedar Mill and Preslers consumes less, yet still they are higher than 90nm K8s.
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » General Technology Chat » $10K Dell

<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information