Increase font size
Topic Title: BIOS Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/26/2006 09:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/26/2006 09:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

i have seen many instances where motherboards dont come with the latest bios and if you were to install a CPU that the bios does not recognize, it wont boot. when this happens, you are forced to put in an older cpu which most likely you might not have or RMA it to the mfg to get it flashed. this is sometimes a pain to do. will there one day be a way to boot a computer without the recognition of cpu just enought to get into bios and its flash utility in order to flash the bios without the cpu?

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/26/2006 11:23 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

In my experiences, the board will boot fine, it's just that the CPU will say something like "unrecognized revision" or "unrecognized CPU". In the case of the X2's, one core would be disabled. This is newer stuff though...maybe awhile ago this was true. Hasn't been an issue for me lately though.

Come to think of it, I remember when I first threw my Venice 3000+ into a DFI Lanparty with an older BIOS. This particular BIOS didn't support any RevE cores, but it worked fine until I did flash the BIOS.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 09/27/2006 01:56 AM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

but ive heard that some skt AM2 mobos doesnt boot at all with unsupported cpus (opteron)

09/27/2006 03:42 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

How they will not support Opterons? Socket M2 Opterons are the same Windsors with 1 MB Cache L2 per Core that some A64X2 uses. Besides, as Socket M2 got A64X2 from day one, ALL Motherboards should support it.
I agree than its a pain in the rear that you buy a Motherboard that can't boot with a determinated Processor (That is exactly what you got) until you upgrade its BIOS, something that you can't because you don't have any other at hand. But this doesn't apply to your Opteron example.
 09/27/2006 03:57 AM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

quote:

Originally posted by: dot_pixel651
i have seen many instances where motherboards dont come with the latest bios and if you were to install a CPU that the bios does not recognize, it wont boot. when this happens, you are forced to put in an older cpu which most likely you might not have or RMA it to the mfg to get it flashed. this is sometimes a pain to do. will there one day be a way to boot a computer without the recognition of cpu just enought to get into bios and its flash utility in order to flash the bios without the cpu?

dot.

i think asus boards already do this (mine does anyways) since i had to do this to get it to boot with my fx-60 but the bois was much older then the processor (minus the 'without' part since you can leave the new one in there the whole time)

i know on mine atleast it'll turn on get a picture on the screen and all that it'll just say some message i don't remember and not go any farther, and then you'd just tap alt+F2 right as you press the power button and what's called 'EZ flash' would appear with read what's in your drive and do all the flashing from there before comp even is able to start doing the normal start up

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 11/13/2006 12:27 AM

Author Icon
AaronMan

Well, I'm pretty sure that the AM2 motherboards won't support new Opterons. You have to have a special Opteron board for them. Tyan I think are the only ones who make them. But, I heard someone got a new Opty to work on a DFI Lanparty.

But hopefully modded BIOSes will start to come out with Opteron support.
 11/13/2006 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Best thing to do is check with the boards tech support regarding compatibility before you buy, thats what I did with this epox and my opty. a little planning is a good thing

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information