Increase font size
Topic Title: Soon a GPU Traffic Chip
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/02/2007 12:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/02/2007 12:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Aggressor Prime

By the end of 2007, we might see another improvement to the multi-GPU arena. Intel will be introducing a chip that manages multi-GPU setups (up to 4 GPUs) vs putting all that work on the CPU. The chip sounds like it will be placed on a card that will probably connect to either external or internal GPUs. Considering the specialization chip count is now on a rise, I would think putting as much chips on the outside is the best idea considering motherboards can only get so big. Here is the link.

-------------------------
ComputerBB Moderator
Dell Inspiron 1720 (Core 2 Duo T7300 : GeForce 8600M GT)
BF2142 Brigadier General (All Unlocks)
 01/02/2007 01:07 PM

Author Icon
FrozenSteel
Ninja Zombie Killer

More chips eh? I rather not have any more internal or external. This seems more like a chipset add-on rather than another chip. Something like this would probebly be added to the northbridge of a motherboard.

Hmmmm... after reading it, it looks like they are making a chip. But I bet you later on, it will be built onto the northbridge or another chipset. It just seems too expensive to just add another chip.

Alienware m17x R4
17.3" 1920x1080 -- Intel Core i7-3820QM -- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Intel 520 180GB SSD -- 750GB 7200RPM Data HDD -- Slot BD-ROM -- 2GB AMD 7970m -- Intel Centrino 6250+WiMax -- Mediacom 20 Mbps Internet Connection
 01/02/2007 01:13 PM

Author Icon
Aggressor Prime

It could be, but didn't Leadtek get out of the motherboard industry a long time ago. The three companies mentioned do still make cards though. Then again, the chip may be placed both on motherboards (for value editions) and cards (for enthusiast editions).

ComputerBB Moderator
Dell Inspiron 1720 (Core 2 Duo T7300 : GeForce 8600M GT)
BF2142 Brigadier General (All Unlocks)
 01/02/2007 01:21 PM

Author Icon
FrozenSteel
Ninja Zombie Killer

quote:

Originally posted by: Aggressor Prime
It could be, but didn't Leadtek get out of the motherboard industry a long time ago. The three companies mention do still make cards though. Then again, the chip may be placed both on motherboards (for value editions) and cards (for enthusiast editions).

What is the point of the chip anyway? I mean the CPU can't be that stressed or be stressed at all with Multi GPU's. It's basically 2 or more cards working together to make it seem like theres one card running 2 or more faster. I really don't see how the CPU is involved.

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown The chip acts like a hub connecting the main processor to the multiple graphics processors, serving as a traffic cop.

Why would the CPU be a traffic cop? That would bottleneck the whole computer having signals travel to the cpu and back. This whole theory doesn't make sense. You would think Nvidia or ATI already implemented a Traffic chip within the GPU.

Alienware m17x R4
17.3" 1920x1080 -- Intel Core i7-3820QM -- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Intel 520 180GB SSD -- 750GB 7200RPM Data HDD -- Slot BD-ROM -- 2GB AMD 7970m -- Intel Centrino 6250+WiMax -- Mediacom 20 Mbps Internet Connection
 01/02/2007 02:23 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Here's the original article for anyone interested... The VR zone blurb has a lot of details wrong.

http://www.eetimes.eu/semi/192500635

Also... It's not made by Intel. This is just another startup that has a nifty idea that they're trying to make happen. Maybe it'll work out... maybe not. What this is reminding me of more is the deal with physics processors which I was skeptical about nearly right from the start thinking the functionality would be borged into the CPU in some way before it ever had a chance to really take off.

quote:

Originally posted by: FrozenSteel
Hmmmm... after reading it, it looks like they are making a chip. But I bet you later on, it will be built onto the northbridge or another chipset. It just seems too expensive to just add another chip.

You get a gold star.

The system already has a "traffic cop". In fact, it has two of them. The northbridge, and the southbridge. Starting from there rather than reinventing the wheel sounds like a much better idea to me also. However, if they went that route, then this little startup would become one more company in the chipset market where nearly everyone is a whole lot bigger than they are.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 01/02/2007 03:46 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

quote:

Originally posted by: Mime
The system already has a "traffic cop". In fact, it has two of them. The northbridge, and the southbridge. Starting from there rather than reinventing the wheel sounds like a much better idea to me also. However, if they went that route, then this little startup would become one more company in the chipset market where nearly everyone is a whole lot bigger than they are.

Yay, someone else for nVidia to buy out!!!

Seems like an interesting idea though...

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/02/2007 07:10 PM

Author Icon
me=kon
Case Modder

quote:

Originally posted by: Aggressor Prime
Considering the specialization chip count is now on a rise, I would think putting as much chips on the outside is the best idea considering motherboards can only get so big.

thats why they shrink the process and it becomes smaller and more efficient thus more transisitors for new things such as this.

<br>Technic86 "Now I'm gonna agree and wish it was old times again. You know...before the forums were down every other week, before the spambots and hackers came, before the fanboys began to show face(sorry), before the forums went from a Support Place to a battlefield, before short tempers flared and...ahhh so on and so forth. The forums just
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information