Increase font size
Topic Title: Got a new problem...Help!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/04/2007 06:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/04/2007 06:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Ok, so i went to install my TV card for Media Center, when i rebooted it, my PC decides it hates me, beep codes galore, and error C1 on the display, thats supposed to be a ram error, I think, not sure. dos anybody know, or a long beep that repeats? help

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/04/2007 06:38 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

nobody?

I pulled everything but the CPU, same error

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 02/04/2007 06:47 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster
nobody?

I pulled everything but the CPU, same error

Reseat everything and leave TV card out. Does the error still happen?

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 02/04/2007 06:52 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

yeah, Ive been taken everything out one at a time.

02/04/2007 07:10 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Sounds to me like a memory detection error. Try reseating the memory.

EDIT: I should have asked, this is the Epox mobo right?
 02/04/2007 07:30 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

yeah, Ive been taken everything out one at a time.

The only thing to change was the adding of the TV Card? Did you reset anything else?

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 02/04/2007 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Ive got it on a cardboard box, i pulled the CPU, and I got the FF code (normal run), put the CPU back in I got the old C1 code, there is nothing else on the board at all.

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
The only thing to change was the adding of the TV Card? Did you reset anything else?

no, but that was the first thing I pulled back out,m no joy, and yes its an epox 9npa+ultra

02/04/2007 07:42 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

try clear cmos and discharge power from the psu?

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 02/04/2007 07:45 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

tried

odd thing is, when the jumper is in the clear position, I hit the power button, the thing still boots...I found that odd, but of course Ive never tried that before

02/04/2007 07:47 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

tried

odd thing is, when the jumper is in the clear position, I hit the power button, the thing still boots...I found that odd, but of course Ive never tried that before

Once again I am fairly certain this is memory if this is the Epox.

If you go to the Epox Mainboard Manual, you will note that on the third page (of the PDF) that error code C1 is a memory issue. So either module was killed via an static discharge, or bumped out of place.
 02/04/2007 07:48 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

At this point, i have to ask, or at least know, motherboard or CPU? Im very close to buying a new 165, or even a 170, heck whatever I can fid for around 160bucks, all the X2s are still more expensive then my opty.

and to that effect, whats the best stepping on an Opteron 165, cuz my CCBWE 0546SPMW wasnt the best lol, never did get that primary core to stay stable

02/04/2007 07:59 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

quote:

Originally posted by: bvchurch
If you go to the Epox Mainboard Manual, you will note that on the third page (of the PDF) that error code C1 is a memory issue. So either module was killed via an static discharge, or bumped out of place.

Ive tried all 4 of my dimms, no work, even with all 4 out its C1, with the CPU out an any combination of parts, its FF, normal run

02/04/2007 08:38 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

quote:

At this point, i have to ask, or at least know, motherboard or CPU? Im very close to buying a new 165, or even a 170, heck whatever I can fid for around 160bucks, all the X2s are still more expensive then my opty.

My guess would be on the motherboard only because it's pretty rare for a CPU to up and die like that without it getting chipped or fried or something.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 02/04/2007 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

ive gone ahead and emailed epox, board is still under warranty, and Ill concede myu warranty on the opty becuase I did everything wrong to it, oced it, new hsf, as5, etc lol, dont think I cn escape voiding that one.

however, if it turns out to be the CPU, I wish I had another 939 to test /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />, but if it is the CPU, this is my chance to get a better stepped opty. whats the better stepping atm?

02/04/2007 09:09 PM

Author Icon
alexfort93
Elite

I want to say CCBBE?

MSI 790GX-G65| Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz | Asetek 550LC | 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 | Asus 4870 | Seagate 640GB | WD 500GB | VX450 | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
 02/05/2007 12:41 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Another question....if its the motherboard

where in the bloody heck can I buy a new epox??!!!? I don't see em anywhere, in fact theres a whole shortage on 939 boards out there.

If anybody knows where I can find an Epox 9npa+Ultra or 9npa+SLI, please let me know!

02/05/2007 12:58 AM

Author Icon
axy1985
Ninja Zombie Killer

why would you buy it? isn't your mobo under warranty?
you're right... couldn't find Epox socket 939 mobos anymore... /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />

AMD Athlon II X2 440 @ 2.7 GHz (Sempron unlocked)
2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 AMD Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX
MSI nVidia GTX460 1GB Hawk
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Antec TruePower New 650W
 02/05/2007 01:24 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

yeah, but the turn around may not be prompt enough lol.

and yeah, epox fall off the face of the earth??

I think I may get an RMA through, but epox has some boards for sale directly, open box, may not include the power pack =(
meah, they had the 9npa+sli, sooo very tempting, that and that refurbed evga at newegg....ooooh so tempting

02/05/2007 10:37 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Most likely you are correct that the motherboard is blameworthy for the error code. I guess I still see that it is possible that your memory sticks were killed via ESD, but I now notice you have 4 sticks of memory, so I am less likely in asserting that static discharges killed the memory. It is also possible that the processor's memory controller went out.

Epox RMA may take a couple days to get ahold of, or get an RMA number, but apparently once they receive your package they have about a week of turn around time and then another week getting the new motherboard out.

Good luck. As far as to why you don't see many epox boards, my guess is that Epox does not keep a huge warehouse full of motherboards, therefore deals in small quantities only.
 02/05/2007 11:17 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

It used to be you couldnt throw a stick into the web without hitting an epox board, now theyre gone =(

and yeah, after speaking with many people last night, same conclusions, either the board, or the better likelyhood of the memory controller if not even the lower l2 cache on the CPU, my roomate has been battleing a socket A system with an epox board since last summer, his rma turnaround he said has been a week to a week and a half from the dy he sends it, so i may just rma the board, and order a new CPU all at the same time, this way I dont drop a dead CPU back into a good board and fry the good board, not to sure on that yet.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information