Increase font size
Topic Title: Ultra 400W
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/15/2007 08:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2007 08:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zozio

Ultra is definitely black listed for me now in terms of powersupplies. The Stupid thing went in a billow of smoke taking out the system with it: 1.3ghz duron, its motherboard, 512mb ddr, and a fx 5200 (only thing still alive is his 30gb hdd). Worst thing about this is that this was my friends main system (I gave him the power supply as I didn't have a use for it at the time) so now he's forced to use an 800mhz machine.

Here's the power supply: http://www.ultraproducts.com/p...etai...p;productID=370
As you can see it should have been much more than enough to handle this system.

Undoubtedly Ultra will be hearing from me in a very short time. My question is will they do anything besides RMA the PSU or the like? Trust I won't be able to get anything for the system it took with it?

-------------------------
 01/15/2007 08:29 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Geez...that thing should have been able to power something more than that system....

If they won't take your RMA or something, look to Hipro. Great PSU's for dirt cheap.

And hope your friend isn't mad at you

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/15/2007 08:41 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: technic58
And hope your friend isn't mad at you

He's not, but I still feel bad for giving him a power supply which blew up his system. I'm hoping that I can get some money from Ultra to give to him towards building a new system, but I doubt I'll get that .

01/15/2007 08:43 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

is there anything in the warranty terms clearing them of any damage cause d by the PSU failing? if not, ask them to reimburse the damages, if they don't, call up the local BBB

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/15/2007 08:45 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster
is there anything in the warranty terms clearing them of any damage cause d by the PSU failing? if not, ask them to reimburse the damages, if they don't, call up the local BBB

Thanks, I'll check the warranty after I come back from karate. See y'all in 2.5hours.

01/15/2007 09:30 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

coulda been a power surge

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/15/2007 09:32 PM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

quote:

Originally posted by: technic58
Geez...that thing should have been able to power something more than that system....

The issue with generic or very low quality Power Supplies isn't the power capacity, but the fact that they MAY come with defective components that won't think twice before imploding and take out no or a few system components with it. That is a risk that you're taking with these type of Power Supplies, that is why is recommended to get a good brand one (Even if it is just 300W... That still is more than a "600W" brandless Power Supply can actually give) if you're spending quite a bit on Hardware.
 01/15/2007 11:21 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
coulda been a power surge

Nope, nothing else died besides the computer.

quote:

Originally posted by: zir_blazer
The issue with generic or very low quality Power Supplies isn't the power capacity, but the fact that they MAY come with defective components that won't think twice before imploding and take out no or a few system components with it. That is a risk that you're taking with these type of Power Supplies, that is why is recommended to get a good brand one (Even if it is just 300W... That still is more than a "600W" brandless Power Supply can actually give) if you're spending quite a bit on Hardware.

It worked fine for quite a few months. I gave it to him at the beginning of the school year. And I though Ultra was a halfway decent brand.

01/15/2007 11:55 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

quote:

Originally posted by: Zozio And I though Ultra was a halfway decent brand.

They are, but every company has products that fail. Some people swear by MSI, I've had a motherboard from them go sour on me, I had an 80GB Seagate go, as well as my Epox motherboard, which is currently out on RMA. What is more important is the amount of failing products. If enough die, then yes, it is a problem, but on average, if the failure rate is low, the company doesn't need to do much, aside from honor their warranty terms.

I know that's cold comfort when it happens to you, a fact for which I am sorry. But it is reality, any product, from any brand can fail.

-Adam
 01/16/2007 01:09 AM

Author Icon
Zozio

Yep, its all probability. I guess the deciding factor of whether I'll recommend or go with Ultra's products again will depend on how their customer service is.

01/16/2007 01:22 AM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown ULTRA PRODUCTS WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PARTY FOR ANY
LOSS OF USE, INTERRUPTION OF BUSINESS OR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL,
INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND

(INCLUDING LOST PROFITS) REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION WHETHER IN
CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STRICT PRODUCT LIABILITY OR
OTHERWISE, EVEN IF ULTRA PRODUCTS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
OF SUCH DAMAGES. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF ULTRA
PRODUCTS HEREUNDER EXCEED THE GREATER OF ($50.00) OR THE AMOUNT YOU
ACTUALLY PAID FOR THE PRODUCT GIVING RISE TO SUCH LIABILITY,
REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION, IN CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY
OR OTHERWISE. NOT ALL JURISDICTIONS ALLOW SUCH LIMITATIONS OF
DAMAGES SO THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Hmm, I guess that means that we won't be getting any compensation for lost parts /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" />. Ahh well, I'll still complain - its amazing what some people can get away with just by complaining.

01/16/2007 01:53 AM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

Sadly, that's a pretty standard warranty statement. I don't know of any manufacturers, off the top of my head, that will compensate you for components lost when the PSU dies. Which is why I've been saying for a long time now that the warranty on PSUs is generally a bit pointless. Yeah, they'll give you a new PSU, but what good is it if you still have to replace the rest of the system?

-Adam
 01/16/2007 09:11 AM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

I got one of these powering my athlon xp 2400+ system, seems to be running fine for about 8 months now.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
 01/16/2007 10:27 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

Just keep inspecting it every once in a while sepheroth003...

Like anything mechanical or electrical, eventually it is bound to fail.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/16/2007 05:34 PM

Author Icon
sepheroth003

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
Just keep inspecting it every once in a while sepheroth003...

Like anything mechanical or electrical, eventually it is bound to fail.

meh, I gave that PC to my mom. Im sure it will fail sometime relatively soon, if not the mobo/cpu that Ive had for like 8 years or whatever.

New Site!! Team Effex WoW, US Auchindoun Alliance IGN: Fearaga
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information