Increase font size
Topic Title: raid 0
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2007 12:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2007 12:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
me=kon
Case Modder

title says it, for raid 0 or raid 1, im curious to know if you need two of the exact same hdds, or the relative amount of gb. thanks, ide raid and sata raid.

-------------------------
<br>Technic86 "Now I'm gonna agree and wish it was old times again. You know...before the forums were down every other week, before the spambots and hackers came, before the fanboys began to show face(sorry), before the forums went from a Support Place to a battlefield, before short tempers flared and...ahhh so on and so forth. The forums just
 01/16/2007 01:02 PM

Author Icon
kniwor

same HDD's not needed......

http://kniwor.wordpress.com
 01/16/2007 01:04 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: me=kon
title says it, for raid 0 or raid 1, im curious to know if you need two of the exact same hdds, or the relative amount of gb. thanks, ide raid and sata raid.

You want matching drives for best performance and reliability. Mismatched drive can cause data write conflicts due to drive specs. On RAID 1, you definitely want identical. The smallest drive sets the RAID array size. This is with any RAID.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 01/16/2007 04:13 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

quote:

Originally posted by: me=kon

It depends on how you are doing the RAID. If it's using the traditional hardware RAID controller cards or most motherboard-based fake-RAIDs, then you need two HDDs of the same capacity and probably the same interface kind. Intel's ICH7/8 "Matrix RAID" allows for partition-level RAIDing, so you can mix drive sizes because the extra size on one drive won't be part of the RAID but will be accessible to the OS. Linux md RAID goes one step beyond that as any hard drive partition anywhere can be added into a RAID, so you can easily have a 400 GB RAID 5 array between a 200 GB SATA drive, a 250 GB SATA drive, and a 200 GB IDE drive. The extra 50 GB on the 250 GB drive will just show up as a normal non-RAID partition to the OS.

01/16/2007 05:06 PM

Author Icon
me=kon
Case Modder

quote:

Originally posted by: MU_Engineer
It depends on how you are doing the RAID. If it's using the traditional hardware RAID controller cards or most motherboard-based fake-RAIDs, then you need two HDDs of the same capacity and probably the same interface kind. Intel's ICH7/8 "Matrix RAID" allows for partition-level RAIDing, so you can mix drive sizes because the extra size on one drive won't be part of the RAID but will be accessible to the OS. Linux md RAID goes one step beyond that as any hard drive partition anywhere can be added into a RAID, so you can easily have a 400 GB RAID 5 array between a 200 GB SATA drive, a 250 GB SATA drive, and a 200 GB IDE drive. The extra 50 GB on the 250 GB drive will just show up as a normal non-RAID partition to the OS.

interesting...

<br>Technic86 "Now I'm gonna agree and wish it was old times again. You know...before the forums were down every other week, before the spambots and hackers came, before the fanboys began to show face(sorry), before the forums went from a Support Place to a battlefield, before short tempers flared and...ahhh so on and so forth. The forums just
 01/16/2007 05:07 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I may try this out next upgrade for the heck of it...does it hinder overclocking?

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/16/2007 05:36 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

quote:

Originally posted by: technic58
I may try this out next upgrade for the heck of it...does it hinder overclocking?

I'd think if your board has bus locks and your SATA controller is off-board like mine, you can't have any problems with overclocking affecting your array. However, if you use onboard motherboard SATA ports, those might not be locked and pushing the bus out of spec has been known to corrupt data on disks. I suppose if you have an FX CPU and kept the bus at 200 MHz and just multiplier-overclocked, you'd be fine too.

However, if you took the time to install any redundant RAID setup (read: any RAID != 0) then you're concerned with your data's integrity and likely wouldn't be the overclocking type.

01/16/2007 06:37 PM

Author Icon
kniwor

quote:

Originally posted by: technic58

Well currently I'm running raid 0 on MSI Neo4, and the procy's well overcloked, it's a 3000+ OC'd from 1.8 to 2.6Ghz

http://kniwor.wordpress.com
 01/16/2007 07:08 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

quote:

Originally posted by: kniwor
Well currently I'm running raid 0 on MSI Neo4, and the procy's well overcloked, it's a 3000+ OC'd from 1.8 to 2.6Ghz

Your board must have bus locks then. I had heard cases of people who had boards that didn't having problems with corruption, but apparently most new boards have locks on the entire southbridge functions, not just PCIe busses and such. If anybody can confirm this, let me know.

01/16/2007 07:13 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: MU_Engineer

The best practice is same drives. You don't want old drives. Do it the proper way. Don't take short cuts. Make sure you have regular backups.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 01/16/2007 07:23 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma
The best practice is same drives. You don't want old drives. Do it the proper way. Don't take short cuts. Make sure you have regular backups.

Of course, of course. I was just saying that it was possible. I follow those guidelines. One of the 3 drives in my RAID 5 is a little older than the other two, but they're all the same model and the oldest one's only 11 months old (about 7300 hours of runtime) whereas the other two are <1 month old. And of course I do back up about daily.

01/17/2007 07:48 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

The drives can be different, but it is strongly recommended that the drives are same models/series.
Using combos of different models and even manufacturers could result in significant performance penalty.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information