Topic Title: Power supply failure rates
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/21/2007 01:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/22/2007 10:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
trickson

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma

How was the sample done? How many of each were sampled? Where they similar quality? Seems strange that Antec was 9.5%. It should have been on 2000 units of similar quality supplies. Are the two best manufacturered in France by chance?

This is why I think this is all BS !
No way a tagan PSU could be @ 2.8% IMHO not to mention Antec @ 9.5% just seems fishy to me is all .
I have 2 sony vios and they are p3's not one PSU is bad in them and they are still going strong after what 4 or 5 years now ?

This gets a big BS Award from me ..

-------------------------
EVGA 680i mobo , Q6600 @3.4GHz , Ultra Chill Tech CPU Cooler , BFG8800GT/OC , ASUS 8800GT 720/1000 video cards SLI with Tt DuOrb VGA cooler , Corsair XMS2 800MHz 4-4-4-10 2T 2GB RAM , rocketfish 700W PSU , LG Flatron L222WT monitor , Cmstacker Case , SMOKIN FAST!! .
 01/22/2007 10:16 AM

Author Icon
mckennma

They all get the Walmart award for cheap price and no quality. The race to the bottom is a tie. They all win. That is why I like PC Power and Cooling. I always get a decent power supply from them.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 01/22/2007 11:10 AM

Author Icon
srg86

quote:

Originally posted by: JonJon
Well, from what i've seen HP, compaq, sony, and dell outsource their PSU's now.

My old compaq had a compaq psu, however my friend bill's had this 300w hipro in it. My friend pat's old dell has a fortron PSU in it, etc.

And for the record, after 3 years (right after i finished putting this compy together), my compaq psu died and i tossed in my friend's hipro and it has worked ever since in my old comp . lol

Out of interest, what are modern Hipros like? I have a old AT one that was from my First PC, it's got to be the best AT PSU I've had so far. I've put it in my old 386 PC now as the old one can't supply enough power any more (well it is 16 years old) and so I've put the Hirpro in. (My 386DX-40 from 1991 needs a good quality PSU or I have troubles powering both a hard disk and a CD-ROM).

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Manchester) 2.2GHz, DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D, 1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 Dual Channel, 80GB WD Caviar SE SATA, 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA, NEC 4550A, Radeon X800GTO 128MB DDR, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Tagan TG480-U01.

Commodore Amiga 1200, MC68060 50MHz CPU (FPU Built in), 2MB Chip RAM, 16MB Fast RAM, AGA Graphics Chipset, 20GB IBM Travelstar 40GN, Kickstart 3.1 ROM, Workbench 3.1
 01/22/2007 11:30 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

The problem with the smart power line is the fan controller and the caps they use.

The caps are fine as long as you have higher airflow, Antec slows down their fans so the whole unit runs hotter, hotter power supplies cook capacitors, that is a known proven fact.

The higher end Antecs use different components.

Look at the Fortron unit, huge fan and a lot of holes for air flow.. no wonder they last..

I'm tempted to just remove my PSU enclosure altogether, the fan will still draw air across the components and out the back of the machine...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/22/2007 12:49 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington
The problem with the smart power line is the fan controller and the caps they use.

The caps are fine as long as you have higher airflow, Antec slows down their fans so the whole unit runs hotter, hotter power supplies cook capacitors, that is a known proven fact.

Look at the Fortron unit, huge fan and a lot of holes for air flow.. no wonder they last..

I'm tempted to just remove my PSU enclosure altogether, the fan will still draw air across the components and out the back of the machine...

Why not just put a 50cfm fan in? I did it on many power supplies to help with power regulation in server room closets. You want the enclosure because of the high voltages components.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 01/22/2007 12:50 PM

Author Icon
np6s4x
Case Modder

nice to see Fortron doing so good

quote:

Originally posted by: Zozio
Antec's figure really surprised me - I know that I'm not going to be recommending antec anytime soon .

doesn't surprise me, i've seen them kill motherboards when they go out (ruin the power connector, and take other things on the board with it)

PC Power & Cooling 750w
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD FX-60
OCZ Platinum 2x1GB DDR 400
ATI All-in-Wonder x800
 01/22/2007 02:07 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
nice to see Fortron doing so good
doesn't surprise me, i've seen them kill moatherboards when they go out (ruin the power connector, and take other things on the board with it)

I wonder how many fail from poor power, spikes, and other power problems. I use Tripp Lite Line Conditioners to handle power regulation to the PS. I don't have many of the issues most run in to with failing components.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 01/22/2007 02:10 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

I give that article ZERO credibility and you should too so topic CLOSED.

Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 01/22/2007 02:58 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

To be honest there are a few other forums that have constant posts about Antec supplies, badcaps.net even has pictures of these things...

I have one sitting in my cubicle that is toast...

quote:

Originally posted by: mckennma

Why not just put a 50cfm fan in? I did it on many power supplies to help with power regulation in server room closets. You want the enclosure because of the high voltages components.

Actually people simply disconnect the fan controller board and let it run full speed.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

01/22/2007 03:01 PM

Author Icon
CouGaR

quote:

Originally posted by: JonJon i've never run itno a problem with an antec smartpower and i've used them in plenty of machines... o.O;;

The one in my dad's PC just recently died... (see here).

01/22/2007 05:44 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: trickson This is why I think this is all BS !
No way a tagan PSU could be @ 2.8% IMHO not to mention Antec @ 9.5% just seems fishy to me is all .
I have 2 sony vios and they are p3's not one PSU is bad in them and they are still going strong after what 4 or 5 years now ?

This gets a big BS Award from me ..
quote:

Originally posted by: JesterOnYEr6 I give that article ZERO credibility and you should too so topic CLOSED.

Actually if you read some of the posts (novel idea eh?) you two will see that there is evidence suggesting that this this is legit. Unless you have any evidence which opposes these results (and the fact that you're not pleased with the results doesn't count) please stop flaming the article.

01/22/2007 05:48 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

quote:

Originally posted by: Zozio
Actually if you read some of the posts (novel idea eh?) you two will see that there is evidence suggesting that this this is legit. Unless you have any evidence which opposes these results (and the fact that you're not pleased with the results doesn't count) please stop flaming the article.

Read them all and I have a right to my opinion so like it or not live with it.

Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 01/22/2007 05:49 PM

Author Icon
Smogsy

my hiper 580watt in this rig running strong
 01/22/2007 06:00 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

Originally posted by: JesterOnYEr6
Read them all and I have a right to my opinion so like it or not live with it.

I think these quotes speak for themselves, and yes - you are right: everybody is entitled to their opinion (I certainly have one about you right now) but that doesn't mean that you can claim it as fact when you have absolutely no proof and there is actually contradictory evidence.
quote:

Originally posted by: technic58 I can see the Antec numbers as opposed to the Tagan and other ones....I've had two of those go on me. One of those I can understand, the other is just the powersupply full out dying. The one I can understand was a 20pin Antec 380 hooked up to my 24pin Lanparty...held for about 8 months. The one I am blaming purely on Antec was my Antec 350w that had been working completely fine and all of a sudden I just started getting tons of BSOD's and what not....

Haven't had any of those problems with Epower.
quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington The problem with the smart power line is the fan controller and the caps they use.

quote:

Originally posted by: np6s4x
quote:

Originally posted by: Zozio Antec's figure really surprised me - I know that I'm not going to be recommending antec anytime soon .
doesn't surprise me, i've seen them kill moatherboards when they go out (ruin the power connector, and take other things on the board with it)

quote:

Originally posted by: MD Willington To be honest there are a few other forums that have constant posts about Antec supplies, badcaps.net even has pictures of these things...
I have one sitting in my cubicle that is toast...

Actually people simply disconnect the fan controller board and let it run full speed.
quote:

Originally posted by: CouGaR
quote:

Originally posted by: JonJon i've never run itno a problem with an antec smartpower and i've used them in plenty of machines... o.O;;

01/22/2007 06:16 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

wow.. PSU fanatics..

geeks!

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/22/2007 06:18 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

But yeah I dunno...I would definitely believe the Antec one. They have gotten so dang cheap lately it's rediculous. Their cases have gone from all metal to like 75% plastic, everything they sell is overpriced...ahhh annoying.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/22/2007 06:19 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

lol... I work in an industry where a simple component failure can kill people... so yes I am a bit disheartened when I see how crappy consumer grade electronics are...

01/22/2007 06:25 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

lol... I work in an industry where a simple component failure can kill people... so yes I am a bit disheartened when I see how crappy consumer grade electronics are...

Mission critical servers and workstations should be build for fault redundancy and fail over at all levels. I choose SCSI RAID for this purpose.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
PCI-X SCSI RAID
 01/22/2007 06:44 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

I work in the electrical utility protection business, we build devices that keep the power on, we build industrial computers, and we build entire drop in systems... We also do a lot of other things that I cannot elaborate on. Just keep in mind we work our butts off to keep a lot of people safe.

01/22/2007 06:46 PM

Author Icon
Zozio

quote:

I work in the electrical utility protection business, we build devices that keep the power on, we build industrial computers, and we build entire drop in systems... We also do a lot of other things that I cannot elaborate on. Just keep in mind we work our butts off to keep a lot of people safe.

You seem to know a lot about power supplies. Do you sort of specialize in that area? Are you an engineer there?

AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » General Technology Chat » Power supply failure rates

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information