Increase font size
Topic Title: How do I make an "f disk"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2007 12:34 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2007 12:34 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HavocVII

Hey guys i made a thread earlier on why my new sata hdd wasnt working and yall told me that i need an "f disk" so the BIOS can read the HDD to format windows xp on it. So basically im asking how do i make this disk (floppy i think). I am very sata hdd illiterate so please be broad on your directions thanks!
 02/16/2007 12:38 AM

Author Icon
Camthrax

well... back again i am...

you will need to download the ME emergancy boot disk.
http://www.bootdisk.com/

follow the instructions.

then, boot from the floppy.

run fdisk at command prompt.

keep pressing "yes" until you get to the menu...

ima go try this on an older computer now, just so i can remember

edit: back.

right, hit the 4 button when you get ot the menu. then escape. then press 1, and ofllow from there. will run thorugh a verification twice if all goes well. you will the need to format the hdd.

but i think that if it was the prob i remember, you need to have the right drivers for the sata, if its an old pre sp2 disk... and hit f6 at the right time to install "third party raid drivers".

-------------------------

Work requires research. thus, the Camthraxinator has returned.
AYB Proof that all your base are belong to Queen.

Proud Owner of a bass that's pickups are worth more than the bass itself.
 02/16/2007 12:43 AM

Author Icon
HavocVII

i have to pay 4 dollars to use this? lol
 02/16/2007 12:58 AM

Author Icon
Camthrax

did ja get my pm?

02/16/2007 10:47 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

But wait...what does he need a bootdisk for? If this is for his HDD, he can't just download the tool on his hard drive manufacturer's site? What's his problem exactly?

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 02/16/2007 11:01 AM

Author Icon
HavocVII

quote:

Originally posted by: Camthrax
did ja get my pm?

Yep just got it, and will add you when i get home around 4pm(PST)

And technic, my excact problem is that i plugged my sata hdd into the black sata port, turned on comp, went into bios and it didnt even see the hdd (not even as a sata master.) Then i was a bit confused so i put the winxp boot cd in and hit any key, then right after i got an error with hex coding and saying error.
 02/16/2007 11:18 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

Your chasing your tail. Like I said in other thread NO FDISK is needed for bios to read. Your prob running a sata II drive on a sata I controler. The drive needs to be put in COMPAT mode. There are pins on back. DW the manual find the ones that need the jumper. Ive been through this exact scenario 20x already where folks had just this problem.

When the BIOS cant see the hard drive how in the world can fdisk do anything! It cant the bios has to see it first, you can not partition and format a drive that isnt there.......fdisk is also not needed if you have XP, it does the work for you. Fdisk is from DOS-WinME days. XP has its own version. Its run when you boot off the cd and start the install (ya know where it asks where to install xp to etc etc).
 02/16/2007 11:33 AM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Hmm...that could be also. However I know Hitachi SATA2 drives come preset in SATA1 mode...don't know if other companies do that.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 02/16/2007 12:18 PM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

WD does too. But some dont. Really we need to know what drive this is. One even requires running a software utility to flip modes. Forget which one off hand but I had to run the drives software to do it. (too many builds LOL).
 02/16/2007 12:34 PM

Author Icon
mckennma

quote:

Originally posted by: Tech_Ascent
Hey guys i made a thread earlier on why my new sata hdd wasnt working and yall told me that i need an "f disk" so the BIOS can read the HDD to format windows xp on it. So basically im asking how do i make this disk (floppy i think). I am very sata hdd illiterate so please be broad on your directions thanks!

Is the controller the proper one for the hard drive? It is probably a older controller that does not fully support the new, faster, and larger drive. I would probably replace the controller or motherboard to get the right contoller. Otherwise, you will have decreased performance. This seems like a short cut.

You don't want to use FDisk. Windows format will cause less issues.

Tyan Thunder K8WE
Dual AMD 280 Opterons
8GB NUMA enabled DDR333 2.5-3-3-7 RAM
PCI-X SCSI RAID
http://69.14.190.80
 02/16/2007 01:25 PM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

sata I onboard vs sata II addin card is really gonna make a minimal diff if any at all. Just look at the onboard sata benches youd be surprised they do better then some hardware controler do! Specially in raid 0. BUt anyways all sata II drives support sata I in one form or another (either jumpers or through the setup cd). Ive never seen a sata II drive that wont work on a sata I controler-ever.
 02/17/2007 12:18 PM

Author Icon
HavocVII

Hey guys I got it figured out. It wasnt any of the solutions you guys listed. There are 4 sata ports on my mobo and i plugged it into port #2, and it didnt work so i plugged it into port #1 and the bios saw it perfectly. For the erroer with hex coding, it was when i was trying to install winxp. There is a tiny scratch on the cd and that corrupted a major installation file. Thanks anyways for all the suggestions.
 02/18/2007 10:05 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

OMG! Well we assumed you plugged it into port one of course! But you know what assume'ing makes out of you and me haha.

glad to hear ya got it fixed.
 02/18/2007 02:12 PM

Author Icon
Camthrax

so i went through all that trouble of remembering how to fdisik, and making you an emergancy boot disk for nothing?

also glad to hear it works...

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information