Increase font size
Topic Title: Notebooks and SATA
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/17/2007 05:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/17/2007 05:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

How can I install WinXP on Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Pro notebook that had stupid seagate SATA HDD (that WinXP does not detect) ?
The notebook has no FDD (and no sata drivers except the ones that can be installed after Win installation) and WinXP does not support SATA.
I don't have the time to make a SATA driver infusion into WinXP.

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 01/17/2007 02:38 PM

Author Icon
O'Neil

Thats a very good question for which i would also need a answer. I have a similar problem on my desktop i have a 80 GB Hard drive that is IDE and a 250 GB HD that is SATA. Id want to install windows on the SATA but i can't because windows doesn't find it so im forced to install it on my slow IDE HD. This seems to be a very annoying problem for alot of people. What i find odd is for some people it seems to work and they dont do anything extra. Maybe its because their system is more recent or something.

AMD 6000 X2 @3.2GHZ | 4GB OCZ Platinum | 4870 XFX RADEON 1GB | Corsair 750 Watt PSU |
 01/17/2007 02:53 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yeah, a more recent system will usually be able to detect sata drives during install without any trouble. Most recent boards have the sata controller integrated directly into the southbridge, while some older boards didn't. That's usually the difference that caused this sort of problem. Get a cheap USB floppy drive from somewhere and do the floppy + F6 deal using that. That will probably do the trick.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 01/17/2007 05:24 PM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Thats a very good question for which i would also need a answer. I have a similar problem on my desktop i have a 80 GB Hard drive that is IDE and a 250 GB HD that is SATA. Id want to install windows on the SATA but i can't because windows doesn't find it so im forced to install it on my slow IDE HD. This seems to be a very annoying problem for alot of people. What i find odd is for some people it seems to work and they dont do anything extra. Maybe its because their system is more recent or something.

install the OS on the ide and install the sata drivers, then image the drive on the sata.. or save the headache and buy a cheap floppy drive..

01/18/2007 04:22 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown Yeah, a more recent system will usually be able to detect sata drives during install without any trouble.

Not true.
In order to detect SATA, one must cheat and activate SATA drive in IDE mode from BIOS.
Works for desktops on some MBs, and on very few notebook ones.

Finally, I managed to install it: I got the December 2006 WinXP unofficial release witch supported the intel/S SATA drivers.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 01/18/2007 08:25 AM

Author Icon
O'Neil

quote:

Originally posted by: Overmind
Not true.
In order to detect SATA, one must cheat and activate SATA drive in IDE mode from BIOS.

Finally, I managed to install it: I got the December 2006 WinXP unofficial release witch supported the intel/S SATA drivers.

How exactly do u manage to install the SATA drives while in IDE mode from the bios?

AMD 6000 X2 @3.2GHZ | 4GB OCZ Platinum | 4870 XFX RADEON 1GB | Corsair 750 Watt PSU |
 01/18/2007 10:58 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

quote:

Originally posted by: Overmind
Not true.

Well yeah... obviously the controller needs to be turned on in the bios, but the board is an oddball if has an integrated sata controller and it's not on by default. On every board I've seen that has been the default, so there really isn't much to do other than hook the drive up and let it go.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 01/24/2007 09:35 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

You don't need SATA drivers if drive is in IDE mode.

01/24/2007 12:54 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

I don't know what you're talking about with "IDE mode", but you won't need drivers if the sata controller is integrated into the southbrige.

Containment Breach

01/24/2007 05:25 PM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

quote:

Originally posted by: Unknown I don't know what you're talking about with "IDE mode", but you won't need drivers if the sata controller is integrated into the southbrige.

i think ide mode is only offered when theyre integrated in chipset..

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information