Increase font size
Topic Title: some ram issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/26/2007 08:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/26/2007 08:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

i have two 1 gig sticks of gskill ddr500 ram pc 4000 that is timed at 2T 3-4-8-4 is this a good timing? and what do i set different if it isn't? thanx for the advice in advance /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

-------------------------
No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 01/26/2007 08:28 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Those are probably the timings it is rated for for DDR500. If your just running DDR400 though, you could probably tighten them up a bit. 3-4-4-8...bleh...maybe try 3-3-3-10 or something. It's going to depend on what kit you have though. If it's just valueRAM, that may very well be as low as you can go, though they still seem pretty slack.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 01/26/2007 08:31 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

it's ddr500 not 400 and it's not value ram it's really good ram just don't know anything about timing.....need some teaching so i thought hey those boys at that forum probably know something about that!!

No advertising. Do not use this site as a redirector or gateway to another site for the purpose of collecting click income or advertising.
 01/26/2007 08:32 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Yes...I know it's DDR500 RAM. But is is running at DDR400, DDR500, or somewhere inbetween? Just because you have DDR500 doesn't mean your RUNNING it at DDR500. If your not overclocked, chances are your running at stock DDR400, with slack DDR500 timings. In that case, they should be able to be tightened a bit.

Do you have the G. Skill "black" 2GB DDR500?

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 01/26/2007 08:37 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

can you do some explaining on "tightened a bit" for the not so technical among you? and it's oc'd quite a bit but it's set to run auto as far as ddr400 vs ddr500 is that my problem?

my oc is 265X11 on an fx55 and it runs good but i know i can get it higher if my memory timings were set better but i don't know much about memory settings. that's my real problem

EDIT---http://www.newegg.com/Product/...p?Item=N82E16820231021

that's the ram i have in there

01/26/2007 08:44 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Are you running 1:1? If you are running 1:1, your RAM is running in sync with your FSB, also making it run at DDR530, which is a pretty good overclock for 1GB sticks, and you probably won't get much farther no matter how loose the timings are.

About the memory settings...well what don't you know? From say you had the settings 2-2-2-6. The first 2 is the CAS latency, and doesn't have much affect on performance, however it will affect stabability. The second 2 is either TRP or TRCD. Same for the second 2. These middle numbers play a big part with bandwith. The 6, or the last timing, is called TRAS, and like CAS, doesn't have an overly huge impact on performance. Affects stabability though. The voltage you should be pumping through depends on the type of RAM, and if that's the kit I'm thinking of, you shouldn't be pumping much at all through it.

Another way to get your FX55 farther would be to set a RAM divider....running the RAM slower than the FSB...your current speed is pretty nice, though.

EDIT: Ah, ok. Can't tell if that's the G. Skill Black or not...

01/26/2007 08:50 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

im running at 2:2 i think i will check though you think i'm pushing it too much at 1.7 dimm volts? if i set the timing different is 4448 a good timing? or do i want the lowest possible for the middle?

01/26/2007 08:53 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

True, you want the lowest possible for the middle, but I think what you have right now might be the lowest. The higher the timings, the less strain on the RAM, the higher the OC. If you tried to tighten(lower) any of those right now, you would probably get some unstable RAM. And I think 2.7v is a sweet spot for that RAM, and I wouldn't take it much, if at all, higher.

Also, for setting CAS to 4...nah I wouldn't. There is also a point when RAM starts to OC worse from excessively high timings. You probably found your sweet spot. If your going to try to push that RAM any further, the only thing I would change would be change the TRAS to 10 instead of 8, giving you 3-4-4-10.

01/26/2007 08:56 PM

Author Icon
blizard

quote:

Originally posted by: TheGuyThatKnowsNothing
it's ddr500 not 400 and it's not value ram it's really good ram just don't know anything about timing.....need some teaching so i thought hey those boys at that forum probably know something about that!!

You might find some help by downloading CPU-Z and look up SPD timing for your memory modules. It should let you know DDR400 and DDR500 timing.

Abit AT8-32X (Xpress3200)/Athlon64 X2 4200+@stock/Corsair VS 2GB/Samsung SATA II 2x 250 GB/Club3D X1950XT GDDR3 256MB+ PowerColor Theatre 550 pro (PCIe x1)
 01/26/2007 08:58 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

yeah i think i found the sweet spot on all of it at once. i tried to move my fsb up 1 and it crashed moved my timing it wouldn't boot and moved my voltage same thing a 2.91 on a fx55 isn't all that bad.

01/26/2007 08:59 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Nah way, that's a nice speed. Is this FX55 the Clawhammer or the San Diego? What voltage are you running the CPU at?

01/26/2007 09:11 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

it's the san diego 1.556V like i said it's at 265X11 so it's 2.91 i think tom's got their fx55 to about the same. let's just hope it runs my bf2 hahaha

i ran those cpuz tests i can't tell anything from that im not technical enough this is just my first oc. that latency test says L1 is 3 L2 is 12....is this good or bad?

01/26/2007 09:49 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

hey nice to see you got a good overclock
post screen shots of cpu-z on here so we can see... you can upload the shots to http://imageshack.us/ and post the link here
show the first tab and the memory tab

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/26/2007 11:21 PM

Author Icon
CharlieIsComing

k i will do that sometime tomorrow

got any ideas on why my paint won't work? not to change my entire thread or anything i am trying to print screen those two things for you

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information