Topic Title: SB600 AHCI mode
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/21/2007 04:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/22/2008 12:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

Originally posted by: Ephebus
(haven't testes yet).

Heh heh...

-------------------------
ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
Phenom II X4 925c2 @ 2.80GHz (95W)
OCZ Platinum PC3-1333 2x2GB 7-7-7-21
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.
 04/22/2008 01:13 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

(haven't testes yet)

I hear they have surgery for that now.

I'm also still looking for a way to find out if NCQ is actually active on the SB600 with the AHCI drivers installed.

Draw your own conclusions, but I'd have to say it is.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/22/2008 01:43 PM

Author Icon
Ephebus

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster
Draw your own conclusions, but I'd have to say it is.

Confirmed here on the GIGABYTE board. Had forgotten about Sandra. First time fiddling with ATI chipsets and in nForce chipsets there's an explicit setting in the driver config for NCQ. Actually, just sold an nForce 570 SLI board (by Foxconn) because it was just incompatible with Western Digital's WD5000AAKS HD with NCQ enabled (system lockups, data corruption, you name it).
 12/25/2008 11:49 PM

Author Icon
fuehrer

how do i enable AHCI on an ECS A770M-A, my motherboard can boot in either IDE or RAID but not in AHCI... i used the drivers found in game.amd.com

XP Pro x86
 01/05/2009 02:06 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Originally posted by: thisisgil

My motherboard is an ECS A770M-A with the SB600 chipset on it, and I'm trying to follow through Overmind's step by step guide that was posted above. I've added my own commentary: If anyone can confirm that I am interpreting the instructions correctly, it would be much appreciated!

I'm assuming this means that I download the specific sata drivers for my motherboard, and extract them, copying a .sys file to the system32 directory? I can download drivers from here: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSi...river&MenuID=1&LanID=0 - question is, which driver am I looking to unpack? Would it be the "Sata Raid Driver" from the "ATI SB600 Southbridge Driver Package"?

Any help that anybody can offer me would be much appreciated!

Gil

Yes...that's the one.

The driver extracts to a temporary location anyway when you try to install it. You could get the .sys from there.

Anyway...install the driver, copy the .sys and then restart the PC, enter BIOS and switch to SATA mode. Made sure the correct driver is used as there may be a difference between the standard SATA and RAID driver (the .inf files differ: the RAID one usually has an 'r' at the end - i.e. s3112r.inf and the SATA one has no 'r' - i.e. s3112.inf).

Originally posted by: fuehrer

how do i enable AHCI on an ECS A770M-A, my motherboard can boot in either IDE or RAID but not in AHCI... i used the drivers found in game.amd.com

XP Pro x86

RAID mode includes AHCI. At least they say so...

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 02/03/2009 08:08 PM

Author Icon
syl35

I have a hp laptop with a sb700 southbridge and i can't disable ahci in bios. How can i work around this to install xp? the setup bsod's.

I have tried moving the hdd on another system and installing xp there, but as soon as i move it back it bsod's and restarts, xp won't start. I assume i should manually install a working ahci driver for xp32 then move the hard drive back into the laptop. got any ideas which one would work and/or what exactly i need to do? is the process for sb700 the same as the one for sb600 described in the german forum linked above?

thanks
 02/03/2009 09:36 PM

Author Icon
monte84
Elite

Its in the BIOS somewhere, try in PCI devices if that is an option for you. If not you will need to get the ahci driver for windows (this is where vista is great you can use a USB flash drve) on a floopy and press, i think, F6 to load a driver.

Phenom II X 1055T @3.64Ghz 1.425V
NB @ 2800Mhz HTT @ 2800Mhz
Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
8GB Crucial Ballistix @ 1866 8-8-8-24-33-1T
AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB GDDR5 shaders @1536 OC to 840/1300
 02/04/2009 12:43 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

One way to get the drivers is download the latest Catalyst IGP/Motherboard graphics drivers for windows XP (32 or 64-bit depending on what version you have). Let it unpack the drivers (you'll see it flashing a bunch of files) and after about 30 seconds or so, a screen will come up and ask if you like to install the graphics drivers. Click no (unless you have an ATI card and want the latest drivers) Then go to your main hard drive, usually C: and then go to ATI/Support and copy the files in the folder called SB700 to a CD and try to force the install process when pressing F6 to accept the files from the CD. If not, it looks like Vista is your only choice, unless you have an external floppy drive to use a floppy diskette. Windows XP only can find driver files off of the install CD (or sometimes a bootable CD which is rare) or a floppy diskette. I've been through many pains because of this and is one of the reasons why I like Vista.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 09/06/2009 02:59 PM

Author Icon
jalind

Yes -- the thread has aged some -- but just went through the BIOS IDE "emulation" to AHCI conversion, for both a single HDD (not RAID) and CD/DVD(DL)-RW, with Win-XP Pro x64 that had been installed for over a year. No muss, no fuss, no O/S reinstalls, just a few complete power-downs and reboots with the case open . . . and NO system registry hacks.

The basic problem by just switching from IDE to AHCI, even if the drivers have been "installed" is they're sitting "latent" . . . available, but not actively in use by the O/S which means they're not entered in the system registry to be loaded when the machine boots (which results in BSOD). This was the purpose of the registry "hack" posted earlier in the thread . . . which isn't required for this method.

My mobo is an MSI K9A2 Platinum (AM2+) with 790FX/SB600, plus a Promise T3 SATA/RAID. Has four SATA ports inboard controlled by the SB600, and two inboard SATA ports plus two outboard eSATA ports controlled by the Promise T3. This method works for those that installed WinXP x86 or x64 (and presumably Vista x86 or x64) with the mobo BIOS for the SB600 SATA ports in "IDE" mode if there is a second SATA controller (e.g. the Promise T3 on my motherboard). Not all motherboards have a second SATA controller, but if it's an SB600 with more than four SATA ports, it must have a second onboard SATA controller (SB600 supports up to four SATA). Also assuming the machine is booting to a single HDD, not a RAID configuration.

Basic conversion concept:
    * enabling the secondary controller, installing the AHCI drivers for it and ensuring they are properly recognized by the O/S
    * moving the SATA drive(s) (HDD and CD/DVD if it's SATA) to secondary controller
    * changing SB600 from IDE emulation to AHCI, installing the AHCI drivers for it and ensuring they are properly recognized by the O/S
    * moving the SATA drive(s) back to the SB600 SATA ports.

Have the drivers for both the SB600 SATA (AHCI/RAID) and the secondary SATA both available before starting this. I downloaded the latest ones from the motherboard mfr site to my HDD before starting the conversion.
    1. Reboot and access machine BIOS during POST
    Enable secondary SATA controller (in my case it was the Promise T3 RAID) and save BIOS settings. If there are options to it, set it to AHCI, not RAID (usually not . . . normally it's either enabled or disabled).
    2. Reboot Windoze; likely you will see an additional BIOS RAID configuration setup option offered during POST; just leave it alone and don't do anything with it. When Windoze finishes booting it will find "new hardware" and very likely won't be able to install any drivers for it automagically. You will probably have to manually install them.
    3. If it's an "exe" driver installer, simply quit the Windoze "cannot find the drivers" dialog and run the driver installer program. If it's a "text" installer with "inf" . . . point the Windoze driver installer to where the "inf" file is located for your version of the operating system (e.g. WinXP or Vista, and the x86 or x64 drivers). There should not be any error messages (e.g. these ain't the right drivers) if you've pointed to the correct "inf" file. Ensure it has found the secondary SATA/RAID controller properly (you may have to reboot). It should show up as a SCSI drive controller with no drives connected (not an IDE device).
    4. Shut down the computer and (this is important) completely remove all power by disconnecting the power cord. You can tell if all power is completely off to the motherboard as there won't be any LEDs lit on it (if there are, power is not completely disconnected).
    5. Pop open the case and move the drive SATA cables to the SATA ports for the secondary controller (these are usually a different color, or are in a slightly different location on the motherboard; in my case they are a different color). Be certain to also move the CD/DVD drive if it's a SATA drive.
    6. Reconnect power cord and power up computer. It should reboot with no problems. Do this before proceeding to ensure the machine boots properly.
    7. Reboot again, access the BIOS during POST and change the SB600 from IDE to AHCI (not RAID). Save the BIOS and reboot again.
    8. Repeat steps 2-6 for the SB600 AHCI drivers, switching the drive SATA cables back to the SB600 ports (in step 5). Machine should reboot properly with the SATA drive now being used in AHCI mode by the SB600.
    9. Optional: Reboot again, access BIOS and disable the secondary SATA controller (I don't use it, the additional RAID BIOS setup option at the beginning of POST bugged me, and it's one less set of unnecessary drivers being loaded)

The best part of this method is it's entirely reversible if something doesn't work right (i.e. some drivers don't install correctly). No registry hacking required. For those that have mobos with secondary SATA controllers, this is the easiest way to do the conversion after the O/S is installed, and it's also the way to do it if there's no floppy drive for the "F6" driver install during a WinXP installation. I was done in a half-hour.

-- John
 10/10/2010 10:57 AM

Author Icon
harryt60
Lurker

I have a asus m4a89gtd pro/ usb 3 motherboard and I just set sata port 5 to ahci and pot 6 to eide reboot on eide drive then loaded the ahci driver from mother board disk and rebooted and set port 6 to ahci and now both hard drives on ahci and my cd drives are on sata, this is with the 850 southbridge
AMD Processors » AMD Enthusiast Community » General Technology Chat » SB600 AHCI mode

<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information