Topic Title: Hackintosh?
Topic Summary: Must admit I am tempted
Created On: 01/30/2008 10:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/30/2008 10:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

May be old news, but I ran across this. I don't know why, but I am tempted to try it.
http://askbobrankin.com/build_a_hackintosh.html
Whenver I talk to anyone about it, they ask me why do I want it, and well...I don't really have a good answer to that. I guess the temptation will eventually pass.

-------------------------
 01/31/2008 12:04 AM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

worst case scenario you wipe the hard drive and install XP/Linux.

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 01/31/2008 05:40 AM

Author Icon
alexfort93
Elite

I'm defiantly itching to try it, but not sure if I want to build a whole new computer for it. I would rather see if I can use it on my current.

MSI 790GX-G65| Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz | Asetek 550LC | 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 | Asus 4870 | Seagate 640GB | WD 500GB | VX450 | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
 01/31/2008 08:25 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I'v done it, I used OS 10.4, I still have the DVD, best install file ever, my room-mate and I laughed forever, "youstoleitsucker.___"

The only problem I had with it, it didn't like my network controller, and it crashed at 4 minute intervals and...the odd part, It didn't recognize the power button, and somehow the OS convinced my bios to not recognize the power button either, so when it crashed, I had to switch the "switch" on the back of the PSU, then wait the usualy 5 seconds to re-trip everything, a royal pain!

and when OS 10 crashes...it doesn't tell you it crashed, the cool lolly-pop of doom just spins forever!

But it did say my Opteron 165 was running at 3ghz, so it at least tried to make my CPU feel all fuzzy inside >.<

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 01/31/2008 at 08:26 AM by Immortal Lobster
 01/31/2008 12:21 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Yes there is a project called OSX86, which is trying to get OSX working on x86-based machines. The HCL for it is very small and stability isn't that great from what I've heard. Windows/Linux dual-boot is the way to go for a perfect system, in my opinion.
 01/31/2008 01:32 PM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

i read up on it all after i read this post last night. if you use the right hardware things are a bit easier. like there is a specific ASUS mobo that's supposed to work really well. you just have to ask yourself would you buy that hardware if you were building yourself a windows or linux box? because if it doesn't work out that's what you're going to have.

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
 01/31/2008 04:14 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

I say drop the Mac stuff, install Linux or *BSD, install Compiz/-Fusion or whatnot and be happy!
 01/31/2008 04:34 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Linux....Doe's not make me happy, it makes me want to pull my hair out! If I had tme to deal with it, I would, I hear it's gotten better, but it's still not as carefree as i'd like it.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/31/2008 04:44 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

There's still no reasonable flash player for 64bit linux. That's the biggest annoyance I have with it. Depending on your hardware getting wireless going in linux can still be a little dicey at times, but no where near as bad as it used to be. You might want to skip the desktop effects packages though if you want something that "just works". They're often still shaky ground, even though they're preinstalled now on the newer builds of ubuntu.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 02/01/2008 11:35 AM

Author Icon
Megadeth

If you're buying a laptop with the intention of using Linux or BSD on it, then it's up to you to ensure compatibility. Mac doesn't support a lot of hardware, much less than Linux, but Apple takes care of the compatibility by making OS X unavailable for regular install.

Linux has gotten better over the years. I've been there for the past five years, and it's been great. As far as 64-bit Flash goes, nspluginwrapper is great. I started using it a year ago. Back then, it was a nightmare. I towuld crash every so often and sometimes take Firefox down with it. Now, it's rock-solid stable with any plugin it supports. Acrobat Reader works with it and so does Flash. All you need is to install mplayer, mplayer plugin, nspluginwrapper, acrobat reader, and flash and that'll cover most of your plugin needs. Even mplayer 64-bit has support for tons of codecs that weren't available before. Really, internet plugins aren't a problem anymore on 64-bit. The one issue left is Java for 64-bit. Of course, there is a third-party build of Java 1.4 for 64-bit, but it's disgustingly unstable. Icedtea is being developed so we should have a 64-bit Java plugin soon. The current alpha is actually pretty nice.

As far as desktop effects are concerned, Compiz-Fusion and such will work flawlessly on Nvidia-based cards. On ATi, it's still dicey. Trust me, the 2600XT is giving me the business. I think Xfce's basic transparency and shadows is good enough. KDE 4's effects are also very nice. It's the fact that they are integrated right into the environment makes them better than the third-party stuff.

All in all, Linux has gotten far better than it was five years ago, but not all that much has changed. It's the little things that have helped.
 02/01/2008 02:41 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yeah well, what's reasonable for you Gentoo people is often a little different. I shouldn't have to jump through hoops and install all kinds of middleware just to get a browser plugin working.

Anyone who wants to build their own mac is probably going to have to deal with some of that, so be prepared for things to maybe not be as simple as some people make them out to be.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Edited: 02/01/2008 at 02:43 PM by Mime
 02/01/2008 03:43 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

You shouldn't have to, but on a 64-Bit installation that's what you sometimes needs to do. We're forced to use what's available. If you really don't want to use nspluginwrapper, then run 32-Bit Firefox with 32-Bit plugins.
 02/01/2008 04:40 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Since when are we forced to use what's available? There wouldn't be a linux OS around if that's the way things were. That, and projects like these(building your own mac) are all about not using whats available, either just because you're curious or because you think what's available isn't good enough. That's what my point was about the flash player. I've thought about hacking it myself by using the GNU flash player as a starting point, but I never had the time to do that while I was in school, and still don't now.

Containment Breach

Edited: 02/01/2008 at 04:49 PM by Mime
 02/01/2008 05:02 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: Megadeth

You shouldn't have to, but on a 64-Bit installation that's what you sometimes needs to do. We're forced to use what's available. If you really don't want to use nspluginwrapper, then run 32-Bit Firefox with 32-Bit plugins.

....heh...heheh....hehehahehehe....<breaks out into complete and unmistakable laughter>

Sooo....Linux is the alternative to Windows and Mac-OS where people are forced to use what's available...yet...here it is, finally from a current linux person...where he says, linux people are sometimes forced to use what's available...ohh the irony and hippocrasy!

02/01/2008 05:54 PM

Author Icon
Megadeth

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

Originally posted by: Megadeth

....heh...heheh....hehehahehehe....<breaks out into complete and unmistakable laughter>

Sooo....Linux is the alternative to Windows and Mac-OS where people are forced to use what's available...yet...here it is, finally from a current linux person...where he says, linux people are sometimes forced to use what's available...ohh the irony and hippocrasy!

Megadeth scratches his head as he fails to see the irony or the hypocrisy of the situation.

Sometimes simplicity in diction doesn't exactly work. For any operating system, if you're like most people, then you have to choose between what's available to satisfy your needs. Is that not true? Nspluginwrapper is one of those solutions. I doubt most 64-Bit Linux users would want to code a 64-Bit version of Flash. I doubt most even have the knowledge to do so.
 02/01/2008 08:40 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Well... it's true that despite what some of the more rabid will say using Linux, or any other OS will not let you into some kind of wonderland free of any kind of restriction where the grass is greener, the women are hotter, and the beer tastes better. That'd be cool and all, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way. However, if someone wants to do their part in trying to make it that way, then I dunno about you, but I'm all for it. Yeah I know most people don't know how to write software, but the point is that some people do. It's not like all these programs that you're supposedly forced to choose from have written themselves, and there's a lot more to creating reasonable software other than just writing code. It's probably a good thing that programmers are a minority anyway. Adding more people to a project does not mean it'll turn out better or get done faster. Working with programmers is often like trying to heard cats. They all want to go different directions, and you've usually got to resort to trickery in order for most of them to listen if you try to start giving orders. That's probably why a lot of projects like building your own mac start out as solo deals, with one person tinkering away at something just because they're curious or because they think they can do better.

Containment Breach

Edited: 02/01/2008 at 08:43 PM by Mime
 02/01/2008 11:24 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: Mime

There's still no reasonable flash player for 64bit linux.

nspluginwrapper works very well for me and has done so for quite some time. I have both of my machine running 64-bit Linux and Flash isn't a problem on either of them. Also, you can download a 32-bit Firefox binary from Mozilla and change the symlink for /usr/bin/firefox to that binary and run 32-bit Firefox. Sure, that is an ugly hack and a 32-bit chroot jail would be better, but chroot jails aren't exactly trivial to set up and maintain and also require a fair bit of disk space. Not a big deal on my desktop with about 250 GB of HDD space free (out of about 550 GB), but it would be on my laptop where there are maybe 10 free GB out of 80.

Depending on your hardware getting wireless going in linux can still be a little dicey at times, but no where near as bad as it used to be.

It all depends on the specific wireless chip used. Most chips today have native drivers- even the Broadcom BCM43xx units common in AMD-powered laptops- but you have to get the firmware for it. But that's true for most cards made in the last 3-4 years as they all need firmware.

You might want to skip the desktop effects packages though if you want something that "just works". They're often still shaky ground, even though they're preinstalled now on the newer builds of ubuntu.

They may be preinstalled but if your GPU/driver isn't known to work well, it will be blacklisted and you will have to force it on. I know because Ubuntu 7.10 on my desktop blacklisted my x1900GT using the proprietary AMD drivers as the pre-8.42/3 drivers didn't have the support. There hasn't been a new official release of Ubuntu since then, so any fglrx is blacklisted. I did the necessary tweaks while running the 8.44 drivers and everything worked just fine. My laptop has an IGP that has whitelisted drivers (the new xorg-video-intel on a 945GM) and minimal effects were enabled from the install and they work just fine.

02/01/2008 11:56 PM

Author Icon
alexfort93
Elite

What would be the best Mac OSX torrent for me to try out with the hardware that I have?

MSI 790GX-G65| Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz | Asetek 550LC | 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1333 | Asus 4870 | Seagate 640GB | WD 500GB | VX450 | Antec P180 | Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
 02/02/2008 12:18 AM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

You know that they can't post it here...

02/02/2008 12:36 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Originally posted by: alexfort93

What would be the best Mac OSX torrent for me to try out with the hardware that I have?

I told you what to look for via PM, so look for it

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information