Topic Title: Zune screen broken
Topic Summary: MS will not service!
Created On: 04/11/2008 09:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/11/2008 09:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

So my Zune screen is somehow broken. I called the Zune Support people and some woman who wasn't from India but France or something spoke to me. I told her my SN and then explained the problem three or four times before she understood it.

The protective scratch-resistant glass on top of the LCD screen has been essentially spiderweb-shattered but none of the pieces have fallen out. The LCD works perfectly well, does not seem to be punctured or anything, just the glass is really screwed up and it gives a bit if you push it. Which I won't do again.

Now, the lady said that any "abuse" of the device VOIDS the warranty. And Microsoft does NOT service Zunes with a voided warranty. Even if you are willing to pay for repairs. They will not fix them. What kind of company will not service their own devices? seriously! Ridiculous, and really frustrating.

And as I have given them the SN, I'm sure they have my device on a "black list" and forget about the people who own those I'm guessing, as it no longer bears any relation to Microsoft (as they won't deal with them). So it's not like I can say "it came like this, it wasn't abuse" and send it in lol.

So, any ideas? Is there a company that can service my Zune?

Or, I could make it a really sensitive DIY project. But when I do DIY projects, I like them to be ones that won't destroy expensive things I already own, you know?

I could epoxy part of the screen to a wood screw, covering the head in epoxy, then use pliers to remove the epoxied glass by pulling it away, perpendicularly from the screen so as to not have any chance of puncturing the LCD. Then use forceps and patience to remove the rest of the glass. Then get a specially cut piece of glass, slightly sand the groove where it would sit, and attach it with some suitable adhesive.

What do you guys think? I am really upset with MS right now.

-------------------------
ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
Phenom II X4 925c2 @ 2.80GHz (95W)
OCZ Platinum PC3-1333 2x2GB 7-7-7-21
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.

Edited: 04/12/2008 at 08:38 AM by Decembermouse
 04/11/2008 09:30 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I'd be mad too. I'd at least expect M$ to service it if you offered to pay....that's not really even a question of warranty anymore, just whether or not they'll fix it for you if you pay them.

Call back and see if you can get someone else....try and convince them your screen spontaneously spider-cracked. Haha. Don't know what to tell ya...but be careful with that LCD.

My GT430 Is Folding For AMD Team 34106
FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
Thanks to KLEETUS for his generous donation of components!!
 04/11/2008 10:22 PM

Author Icon
Royale Flush
Case Modder

Yeah I think you just got an idiot Customer Service rep, MS should be able to repair their player. I'd call back and ask whats the deal

Bhenchod
 04/12/2008 03:23 AM

Author Icon
FrozenSteel
Ninja Zombie Killer

Ask for a manager...

Thats what always gets them. I purchased a phone from the now defunct Amp'd mobile and they refused to activate the phone saying the number I registered was already in use. Pulled the "Can I speak to the manager card" and the dude listened to every command I said and finally activated the phone. I was like, how hard is that? I felt like he just was trying to give me a hard time, like waiting 3 hours wasn't enough. Also, Remember their name so when they hang up on you, call back and then right away ask for a manager and ask why so and so hung up on you, then the manager will most likely be extra nice.

Alienware m17x R4
17.3" 1920x1080 -- Intel Core i7-3820QM -- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Intel 520 180GB SSD -- 750GB 7200RPM Data HDD -- Slot BD-ROM -- 2GB AMD 7970m -- Intel Centrino 6250+WiMax -- Mediacom 20 Mbps Internet Connection

Edited: 04/12/2008 at 03:25 AM by FrozenSteel
 04/12/2008 08:34 AM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

All right, I'll give it a shot. I'm not incredibly assertive but I'll do my best. I've found something that may help but the TONS of frustrsted people with the same exact problem I've found online, who have nowhere they can go and have found NO solution, are not encouraging.

The 1-year warranty says it is not covered if the device is abused or has cosmetic damage. It's not simply cosmetic if you can no longer read the screen. Also, I didn't "abuse" it:
Abuse (verb form)
1. to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
2. to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.

More to be posted after I talk to them and their managers!

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.
 04/12/2008 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

So I called the Zune people for half an hour and got the canned lines. I didn't give up though. First thing I asked him was, "Has Microsoft licensed, or do they allow any other agencies to do repairs or service on Zune?" And the guy said no. The only service center is owned by Microsoft, and is in Texas somewhere. I said ok, I have this problem. The device has not been abused, it was not anywhere near a source of heat or water, and has never been modified or repaired.

Btw what broke wasn't the Zune it was a CD case. I was gone a couple days ago and my roommate told me he'd found my Zune busted over the phone, but didn't tell me where. When I got back I asked the other guy I lived with and he said that he was looking for tennis balls or something and had stepped on something that cracked and I assumed that was it, but then it turned out the guy who had called me had found it in my desk drawer, the guy who'd stepped on something hadn't looked to see what it was. I looked under my pile of clothes (yes, I'm messy) and it was a CD case which had shattered. Fortunately empty. I have no idea if someone "borrowed" the Zune and broke it or what, but I don't think so as the guys each have their own MP3 players. So I am ruling out "accident" as well.

So I told Nathan all this, and he said "the service center does not cater toward that kind of concern"... "that kind of concern" being broken screens. Apparently the protective glass is the same part as the lcd, they're connected or something. I had heard the same thing when I called yesterday from the French lady, or whatever she was. So I quoted Microsoft's policy on Zune:

"Servicing is required when the product has been damaged in any way, such as the AC adapter has been damaged, liquid has been spilled into the product, the product has been exposed to rain or other types of moisture, the product does not operate normally, or the product has been dropped."

This statment makes no reference toward warranty status. It doesn't say "If the device is under warranty then you are required to get it repaired." So I am REQUIRED to get this device fixed, and the only authorized service center is Microsoft's. Which "doesn't handle out-of-warranty repairs". He said if I send it to them that they will "determine" if the cause of the problem is abuse and if so, they will send it back unfixed. I said look, they are required to fix it by their own statement. Whether it is under warranty OR NOT, as they are the ONLY service center. If they determine that this is not a repair covered by warranty then that's a shame, but they are still required to repair it and I will hold them to that. The guy then said I should do a Google search and find another service center to get it repaired and I said "You said MS is the only one that is authorized for this. If my HP laptop has a problem I will not take it to some unauthorized small-town shop to get serviced, I will take it to an HP-authorized service center. It is the same with the Zune, like you said earlier." He hemmed and hawed and was nervous and such, didn't know what to say. "Let me check my resources..." which consists of the Zune forums where other people whine about their broken screens. But are not allowed to service them / modify them, or get any non-Microsoft agency to do that either.

Any ideas people? Should I send a letter with the device down to Texas, saying why it is their job to fix it?

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.

Edited: 04/12/2008 at 09:49 AM by Decembermouse
 04/12/2008 09:51 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Yeah, some of these call center people are pretty stubborn until you get their managers to watch them

I've never had this problem with Apple. One time I went to the Apple store down in Columbus and showed them that the covering around my iPod's headphone plug was fraying unexpectedly. Guess what? They gave me a new pair of headphones for free.

The other companies in Silicon Valley and other places need to start taking notes, cuz Apple really knows how to treat their customers right.

Edited: 04/12/2008 at 09:52 AM by vsingh
 04/12/2008 10:21 AM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

Went to the website to register my device to be sent in for service and it wouldn't accept my serial number so I called and got some girl this time. She put the SN in the system and talked about my issue. Apparently the screen being cracked (for ANY reason) VOIDS the warranty. A void warranty is different than a device that is no longer in the 1-year warranty period in that Microsoft will not service it.

Oh, and here's something interesting! One of the things in the list that voids the warranty is this, of all things:
-suffers scratches, cracks, or other cosmetic damage as a result of normal wear and tear and/or accident or abuse;

So if my device has a tiny scratch on it anywhere, if some of the ink on the back were to rub off (which it does of course, in your pocket), or just normal wear. So basically, if you USE the Zune it voids the warranty and you cannot get it serviced.

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.
 04/12/2008 12:30 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Well...no more Zune for me...

FOR A GOOD CAUSE---Accepting Donations of New, Used, Working, Nonworking PC Components
 04/12/2008 03:48 PM

Author Icon
FrozenSteel
Ninja Zombie Killer

Wow, I'm a total Microsoft hater now! Using the Zune voids the warrenty!? LMAO!

If you have a local Best Buy around town, try taking it to Geek Squad and see what they say. Thats about the best advice I could give to you that would probably lead to getting it fixed.

Alienware m17x R4
17.3" 1920x1080 -- Intel Core i7-3820QM -- 16GB DDR3 1600MHz -- Intel 520 180GB SSD -- 750GB 7200RPM Data HDD -- Slot BD-ROM -- 2GB AMD 7970m -- Intel Centrino 6250+WiMax -- Mediacom 20 Mbps Internet Connection
 04/12/2008 04:19 PM

Author Icon
Royale Flush
Case Modder

Wow, Friggin ridiculous. I'm so glad I never got that Zune for Christmas...

I'm in Houston Texas, let me go down to their service station and show em a lil southern hospitality hahahahahh

Bhenchod
 04/12/2008 05:00 PM

Author Icon
jas
Driod

Being ZUNE is associated with MS, their products have never appealed to me. This just reaffirmed my decision

AMD 64 3200+ | ASUS A8V DELUXE 939 | OCZ 1 GB x 2 RAM | CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS | NVIDIA GFORCE FX 6200 256 MB AGP | SAMSUNG SYNCMASTER 22" LCD WIDESCREEN | ANTEC SMARTPOWER 450W PSU | WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SP3

AMD XP 2800+ | 1GB RAM | CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 ZS | NVIDIA GEFORCE 5500+ AGP | ASUS 23" LCD WIDESCREEN | WINDOWS 7 32BIT
 04/12/2008 06:57 PM

Author Icon
Decembermouse
Mad Scientist

Yeah, no kidding. I love the Zune but Microsoft is being incredibly boneheaded about this. What the documentation says - no, commands - in NO way jives with what tech support is telling me, and they will not listen. The girl told me "I've gone over everything I can and I've already overstepped my boundaries, so if it's all right with you I'm going to hang up." I didn't let her just yet, but how rude! They won't service it, and they are THE ONLY authorized service center. Again,

"Servicing is required when the product has been damaged in any way, such as the AC adapter has been damaged, liquid has been spilled into the product, the product has been exposed to rain or other types of moisture, the product does not operate normally, or the product has been dropped."

Straight from the Zune documentation. But they won't service one that has had any of that happen to it, as it would be classified as "abuse" or "accident" even if nobody is at fault. The service center "determines" whether they want to fix an issue or not based on type of damage and their opinion. Straight from the mouth of the girl on the phone. I think all they really must be able to fix is hard drive errors. They don't want to put in the effort to learn how to actually fix these devices, even if customers PAY for the service? Simply pathetic and reprehensible.

I would encourage anybody who knows a Microsoft employee to speak on the company's behalf here and clear up some of this, if any of what I have read and been told BY Microsoft is for some reason misinformed or mistaken. Microsoft has just lost a lot of points in my book.

Spark notes version:
Servicing is REQUIRED if the type of damage caused by these situations is inflicted upon a Zune. Microsoft IS THE ONLY licensed service agency and discourages other service agencies as none other is licensed. Microsoft REFUSES to service Zunes with the type of damage that THEY REQUIRE to be serviced. Also, NORMAL USE voids the warranty.

This is a horrible, self-contradictory, complete joke of a policy, not to mention an outright lie. I hope some of you boycott this product until they rethink how they treat their customers who have shelled out so much money for their products, for the "warranty," and for the "support".

ASRock M3A785GMH/128M
WD5000AADS
Raidmax RX-500AF
Check it out.

Edited: 04/12/2008 at 07:05 PM by Decembermouse
 04/12/2008 09:56 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

Self-contradictory is right. Sheesh.

04/12/2008 09:58 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Zune = hype machine. It works well and is better-priced than the iPod, but the subpar customer service and ridiculous warranty bites you in the rear end later, and you end up buying another one (see, that's how they make so much $$$ so they can cover the losses from Vista ).

Edited: 04/12/2008 at 09:59 PM by vsingh
 04/12/2008 11:56 PM

Author Icon
technic58
Minister of Spare Parts

I really did want one...I tried it out in the BestBuy...not one of the big ones but the smaller 4-8GB one...it was really nice, loved the controls, loved the interface. But this sort of convinces me otherwise.

That stinks though...I though I'd found a viable alternative to the iPod. Nothing against the iPod, I just like being different sometimes.

04/12/2008 11:58 PM

Author Icon
FrozenSteel
Ninja Zombie Killer

Sandisk!?

Alienware m17x R4
 04/12/2008 11:59 PM

Author Icon
O'Neil

I also, would never buy any products from Micro$ unless its an OS platform. Oh no wait i didn't buy that either. The point being i dont like their products and i dont like their attitude, pretty much like Apple they think they are above everyone else. So i just avoid their products.

AMD 6000 X2 @3.2GHZ | 4GB OCZ Platinum | 4870 XFX RADEON 1GB | Corsair 750 Watt PSU |
 04/13/2008 10:20 AM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Apple seems quite evil for being ahead of everyone else, but that's because they don't make false promises to people 9 months before something is out. Rather, they keep it secret till it comes time to release a product, and that's what keeps them ahead. Good example of this is the iPhone; when Apple came out with the iPhone, the other phone makers scrambled to compete with it (LG, Samsung, etc.).

I have never seen another company treat their customers better (except maybe HP, I've never had a problem with them either).
 04/13/2008 10:50 AM

Author Icon
O'Neil

I have never seen such crooks as to when Steve jobs made me pay 20$ on a product i already spent 300$ on in order to get an update when the new versions where selling with it in it.

AMD 6000 X2 @3.2GHZ | 4GB OCZ Platinum | 4870 XFX RADEON 1GB | Corsair 750 Watt PSU |
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information