Topic Title: RAID 1 REBUILD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/01/2008 04:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/01/2008 04:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
arion

Hi, I've a J&W motherboard RS780GUMD-AM2+ ( SB700 ), I 've setup a Raid 1 with two 640G HDD. One of it is out of service, the status of that logical parition go critical. I replace that with a new 640G HDD, but somehow that partition didn't rebuild automatically, moreover I can't find any button in the Raid bios nor AMD raidxpert to rebuild it, could anyone give me a hint in that case. Thanks.
 07/01/2008 06:04 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

This may help:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/d...00378986/c00378986.pdf

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 07/01/2008 11:18 AM

Author Icon
arion

Thanks. Just read the link. Did the manual only talking about HP smart array ?
I won't see any similar message as the manual while I replaced the new HDD.
 07/02/2008 01:27 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Yes, it's for HP, but the general procedures are largely the same.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 07/02/2008 02:28 AM

Author Icon
arion

But in SB700 Raid bios , I cannot find any similar button as in the manual, moreover, that cannot be found in the AMD RaidXpert too.
More detail to my case, I can see the new "free" harddisk in the bios or Raidxpert, but I cannot do any rebuid to it.
 07/02/2008 03:52 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

You may be able to create the RAID again with no data loss but I'm not sure it works with SB700. Create a new set, select the two drives and answer no when asked if to format/rebuild them. The array will be created and the data should be untouched.

07/02/2008 04:04 AM

Author Icon
arion

As per my last experiance in recreate a new raid 1 (with a HDD already have a raid partition)in SB700, I will need to delete the exsist raid 1 from the bios to set the HDD to be "free" for the creation. Which mean the partition data will be lose...
 07/02/2008 05:26 AM

Author Icon
arion

[BLANK MESSAGE]
 07/02/2008 05:27 AM

Author Icon
arion

[BLANK MESSAGE]
 07/02/2008 06:10 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Originally posted by: arion
As per my last experiance in recreate a new raid 1 (with a HDD already have a raid partition)in SB700, I will need to delete the exsist raid 1 from the bios to set the HDD to be "free" for the creation. Which mean the partition data will be lose...

Well, just deleting the RAID does not destroy the data on the drive. The data is eradicated only when you create a new RAID. And when creating it, on some controllers you can choose if to format or not. As I said, this option if to format can exist or not...depending on the controller BIOS. You should try to find some documentation on the RAID controller, maybe that will say if it has this capability or not.

07/02/2008 09:56 PM

Author Icon
arion

I cannot find any doc. about raid function of SB700, I will try harder. Thanks for your advise anyway.
 07/03/2008 02:38 AM

Author Icon
arion

Just get the manual of RaidXpert in hand, I will try tonight, and keep u guy up.
 07/03/2008 04:37 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Ok.

07/04/2008 12:33 PM

Author Icon
arion

From the Raidxpert manual, It has stated that just plug the new HDD &
wait for the auto rebuild, or simply clicking the rebuild button and select the new HDD.

But somhow, I can see the auto rebuild has return with error as following:

Error1
The Port 1Target 1 is my new HDD.

So I go in to the AMDexpert to try with the manual rebuild, but:
Error2

I've tried to build another raid with my new HDD and working with no problem.

It seem like I've to do some prodecure before I can use the HDD to rebuild...

ANY advise ?

Edited: 07/04/2008 at 12:49 PM by arion
 07/05/2008 05:36 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Make sure that the SATA cable is not damaged, and try to connect your new HDD to port #2 (3rd SATA port from your MB) and then wait for autorebuild.

07/07/2008 03:57 AM

Author Icon
arion

Tried, I 've tried every spare port & replace with different SATA cable....
But no luck.... Is there anyway to check what kind of "failure" the Raidxpert is talking about?
 07/07/2008 12:39 PM

Author Icon
nanohead

I'm WAY too familiar with this whole mess...... This exact thing happened to me several times.

All ATI/AMD SB RAID is Promise based. RAIDExpert is their software, oemed to AMD. This in and of itself is fine, no problem. BUT, no one at AMD seems to care much about it. Therefore, we are on our own.

SB700 based RAID 1 has some quirks, as does SATA in general on these SB700 (SB600 too) based boards. I've been through 4 different Gigabyte 780G boards, ALL had RAID 1 problems of some sort. More often than not, the drives are FINE!!!! (I don't know in your case).

It seems that what happens is that the SATA/SB/RAID controller thingy (not sure which exact piece of logic) loses its marbles, and cannot understand what is going on with the RAID set. It could be the driver also, but I don't think so. I believe it is an inconsistency in the SB silicon unfortunately. It could be firmware too (DFI has been one of the few who has been furiously putting our AMD RAID BIOS updates for the past year, but no one else seems to care)

As Overmind pointed out in the above post, the specific port matters. First, make sure that both drives are connected to numerically adjacent SATA ports on the mobo. On the Gigabyte, they are 0/2 or 1/3. If you connect them to 0/1 or 2/3, the thing falls apart and exhibits those characteristics. I have no idea why. Not sure how its laid out on the J&W, it could be different. It seems to have some relationship to how "Master/Slave" is defined by the mobo, although in SATA there is no such thing (go figure)

In RAIDExpert, you can do a SMART scan, although if your array is showing as broken, most likely, you cannot see that. It might be worth it to boot the machine with the western digital CD and to a disk health check, or whatever they call it, to see the condition of the disks. You may be able to boot with the disks in SATA mode, Windows will see them as individual disks, and you can use something like SpeedFan's SMART scanner to see what is going on. You can put them back into RAID mode, as the signature file remains intact (or so it has with me)

When the thing refuses to rebuild, unfortunately, it may be the SB700 lobotomizing itself finally. I've had the same thing on SB600 based boards (the Asus M2A-VM is famous for puking its RAID volumes.)
 11/14/2008 03:45 PM

Author Icon
anglik666

Have had a similar problem. I changed RAID to IDE for same reason and when I've changed it back to RAID i got Critical.
After read this:
">http://www.techpowerup...for.....-43191.html

I was waiting 2 days for nothing....
I made spare disk and I deleted it.... and nothing.

I read that also

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/...failure-188938/

and I knew I'm not alone !

So and the end of the day I found that (from Asus)

">http://support.asus.co...nlo.....guage=en-us

Try AHCI SBSETUP V2.5.1540.4 for DOS

What is it ?
It is DOS version of RAID Fastbuild bios of SB 600 controler. Ok ?
Early version. 2.5. It have options:

1 - Viev Drive Assignments
2 - Define Array
3 - Delete Array
4 - Controller Configuration
5 - REBUILD ARRAY
6 - SYNCHRONIZE ARRAY
7 - INITIALIZE ARRAY
E - SAVE CONFIGURATION
F - RESTORE CONFIGURATION
G - SET HDD CAPACITY

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I prepared clear dos floppy disk and coped it and rebooted.

Wow. I try Rebuild - got 'spare drive not exist or is too small' !
Checked opt 1 and one disc was 500107kb and other 500108kb !
First was empty, 2nd has raid array !
Than I went to opt G and used option restore original size. Got 500108. When I went opt 1, and RAID 1 was back automatically !!!
Then I went to Rebuild and show me my array disc and new and asked to continue...
I stoped. I wanted to see what expert raid tell me.
After Win XP started I've seen in AMD RAIDExpert option REBUILD activated !
Chose it and it started rebuilding with nice progress bar. Now i'm waiting for end of that but at this stage I don't
expect any problem. Hopefully

#1 - MSI DKA790GX, Phenom II 940BE, 4x1GB Kingston 1066, Sapphire HD 4870 512MB, SB X-F1, 3x WDC SE16 500GB, OCZ 650w
#2 - GA-MA790X-DS4, Phenom X4 9750, 2x 1GB Kingston 533, Sapphire HD 3870 512MB, 1x IBM 160GB, OCZ 650w
 11/24/2008 04:02 AM

Author Icon
climber61

Hi I went with the same issue.
Actually the disk was not broken, I just took it out of connection to kee a security copy before a rebuild of XP.

I did not find a way to cancel and rebuild with the resident utility, so I went through the same steps:
- I built a bootable diskett with this SBSETUP utility.
- I deleted the old disk (connected this only, and cancelled the array)
- then, I started the rebuild with SBSETUP (boot XP did not worked out).

Everything went well , but after then it turns out that
this is REALLY REALLY slow, after 48 hours I am still at 20% (250 GB disk) of the rebuild .
I am just wonderig why this is so slow, I expect that the XP utility is much faster.

I will post news in a few days, as soon as the rebuild finishes.

ciao
 11/27/2008 03:45 AM

Author Icon
Bruneauinfo
Alpha Geek

RAID 1 is fine but i limit it to system disk mirroring and store/backup my data some other way on a separate disk. makes system hopping easier too.

if your disk controller dies you need the exact same mobo to restore your system or you need a PCI based raid controller to start with. ick...

asus P6T Del V2 w/i7 920 6g ddr3 1600
Sapphire HD5770
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit
Smilodon case is STILL the best ever, ever, ever!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information