Increase font size
Topic Title: What does the 5v do?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/31/2009 08:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/31/2009 08:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mystery Mantis

I'm having some trouble with the following system.

Athelon64 X2 socket 939 2.2 Ghz (3400+ i think)
2 Gb RAM Corsair DDR400
2 Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT in SLI
Creative AudigyZS soundcard
2 Seagate 250 GB HDD
HP DVD burner
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
650w Corsair PSU
All this is plugged into a UPS with voltage regulation from Best Buy

I was not at home when this happened. My roommate said that the UPS started to make some odd noises, then there was a BSOD, then the computer shut down. When I started it up, the POST screen came up and then it did not recognize either of the HDD. A reboot got the second HDD to come up, but not the one that has the OS (Windows XP). So I reset the UPS, and powered on again. Now all the devices are showing in the POST, windows begins to load, but then a BSOD hits me, and restarts the computer.

I enter the BIOS, and look at the health status screen, and the 5v rail is outlined in red. I don't remember what it was at exactly, but I want to say it was as low as 4.1XX. This is a new PSU I just installed less than a week ago. I recently replaced it because my system kept shutting off whenever I played games. It wasn't the 5v then though, I don't know what it was. The 12v seemed a little low, but was not outlined in red. I think it was around 11.9xx, and would not go any higher than that.

I tried unplugging it from the UPS and into a power stripe, in case the UPS was under powering me. I had the same problem.

Questions,
1. What do you think may have happened? Power surge? The status screen on the UPS says 0.00 Kw. I am sure that is not normal.

2. What is the 5v? What does it power? Does it power the HDD?

3. What do you recommend?

4. Ben Affleck or Matt Damon?

Also, if you need more info please ask, and anything else you can think of please post. Thank you.

-------------------------
That which does not kill you makes you stronger, but it also can make you wish you were dead.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information