Increase font size
Topic Title: Help with Problem
Topic Summary: System frequently just reboots or freezes
Created On: 01/01/2010 01:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2010 01:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lyrabas

I have just finished building myself a new system a few weeks ago but am having one nagging problem. At first the system would just freeze up and the screen would have patches of the screen that appeared to be vibrating and if a movie was playing or sound off the speakers it would suddenly just become a continuous screaching noise as though every sound were playing simultaneously. That was while using the motherboards built in video. I since bought a new card and it seems to not be a problem near as often. Now it just reboots or locks up. Keyboard, mouse, screen everything just freezes in place. There is no pattern to it either. No one event that seems to trigger it. I can't even toggle the caps lock when this happens. Here are the stats...

* AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 965 Black Edition at 3.4 GHz
* Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H motherboard
* ATI Radeon 4870 w/ 1 Gb GDDR3 RAM
* Corsair XMS3 8GB : 4×2 Modules : DDR3 running at 1333MHz
* Antec Sonata III Mid Tower Case w/ 500w power supply
* Sony DVD-RW Drive
* Western Digital Caviar Green 3.5" 500 GB Hard Disc with 32 MB cache and Sata 3.0 running at 7200 RPM
* Windows 7 Home Premium
* Dell 17" Flat Panel Monitor

It's worth noting that I've already replaced the memory chips, I'm suspicious it could be the motherboard but this one came Highly recommended.

I also suspected overheating. The processors running at about 38-40 degrees celsius after I added a Zalman cooler to it. (The ***** thing is massive but definitely brought the temp down a bit). I've read though that 62 degrees is the recommended max on that. I'm always below 50. I'm not even trying to overclock it. With that much speed...I really don't need to.

It has a 500 Watt power supply which I think is sufficient. I'm not running a huge number of devices on it. One hard disk with the possibility of adding a second later.

Windows Event Log is not capturing anything during this reboot other than that the system rebooted. No details as to why. The problem occurred also under Ubuntu Linux so I have serious doubts it is OS related.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Currently I think the next steps are replacing the motherboard and if that doesn't work maybe the CPU. This is the first AMD system I've built in a long time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information