Topic Title: First Liquid Cooling Setup - Opinions Wanted
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/15/2011 04:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by Canis-X, on Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:38 AM

Answer:
Welcome to the forum!!

Just my take on it, please feel free to go your own way or take someone else's advice, first of all....

I would steer clear of that pump res combo simply because if either fail you then will need to replace both....that is unless you can remove the pump from the res easily. I would recommend the MCP355 or MCP655 pumps (and their manufacture-specific varients) simply because they are considered the standard and are the most widely used. They have great track records and you can find more accessories that will work with them.

The radiator looks like it will suit your needs for a moderate OC environment as long as you get some decent fans on it to displace the heat.

I am not very familiar with that CPU block specifically, but I do have a full-coverage motherboard waterblock from EK and it works very well, so you should be fine there.

The GPU block. I would steer clear of any block that has nickel-plating on the portion of the block that contacts the chip (CPU, GPU specifically). That is just another layer of material that the heat must pass through. I would suggest something that is copper. It may not look as nice as the nickel-plated variants, but it will cool much better. I have friends that swear by DangerDen for great performance, although I know that EK also produces a line for this card that is not nickel-plated as well. Koolance on the other hand, I don't believe that they do.

When you start trying to figure out how you are going to route your loop make sure that you will be able to fill, bleed and drain your loop easily and without spills. This is key as WC loops do require maintenance and you want to make it as easy for you as possible so that you are not as easily deterred from doing it.

Also, when it comes to figuring out how you are going to route you loop, try not to use any 90 degree angles. This reduces the flow of the loop and makes your pump work harder.....at the very most a 45 degree angle is all that I would recommend.

Let us know if you have any other questions/concerns and by all means let us know how it turns out, show us some pics!!! ....again, just my 2 cents from personal experience.....hope that it helps and good luck to you!!
 03/15/2011 04:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zombie01

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,

First post here. I'm looking to liquid cool my system and have been reading forums and threads about it for the last few weeks and finally think I have an idea of what I'm doing. I want to piece my build together instead of buying a kit. Here is what I currently have in mind...please tell me what you think. Thanks!

1. Reservoir / Pump combo
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...y_Reservoir_Pump.html

2. Radiator
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...Radiator_-_Black.html

3. CPU Block
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ..._754_AM2_AM2_AM3.html

4. GPU Block
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...lock_No_Fittings.html

I know that I don't have any fittings or tubes or anything like that. I just want to know what you guys think about the main parts.

My system:

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Socket AM3 890FX
AMD Phenom x4 955 BE @ 3.8
HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB
G.SKILL NS 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM x6 GB
Corsair GS800
Windows 7 64-bit
Thermaltake Armor A60 Case

-------------------------
Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom x4 955 BE @3.8
G.SKILL NS 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2GB x 3
HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB *Flashed to 6970*
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/15/2011 05:11 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Answer Answer
Welcome to the forum!!

Just my take on it, please feel free to go your own way or take someone else's advice, first of all....

I would steer clear of that pump res combo simply because if either fail you then will need to replace both....that is unless you can remove the pump from the res easily. I would recommend the MCP355 or MCP655 pumps (and their manufacture-specific varients) simply because they are considered the standard and are the most widely used. They have great track records and you can find more accessories that will work with them.

The radiator looks like it will suit your needs for a moderate OC environment as long as you get some decent fans on it to displace the heat.

I am not very familiar with that CPU block specifically, but I do have a full-coverage motherboard waterblock from EK and it works very well, so you should be fine there.

The GPU block. I would steer clear of any block that has nickel-plating on the portion of the block that contacts the chip (CPU, GPU specifically). That is just another layer of material that the heat must pass through. I would suggest something that is copper. It may not look as nice as the nickel-plated variants, but it will cool much better. I have friends that swear by DangerDen for great performance, although I know that EK also produces a line for this card that is not nickel-plated as well. Koolance on the other hand, I don't believe that they do.

When you start trying to figure out how you are going to route your loop make sure that you will be able to fill, bleed and drain your loop easily and without spills. This is key as WC loops do require maintenance and you want to make it as easy for you as possible so that you are not as easily deterred from doing it.

Also, when it comes to figuring out how you are going to route you loop, try not to use any 90 degree angles. This reduces the flow of the loop and makes your pump work harder.....at the very most a 45 degree angle is all that I would recommend.

Let us know if you have any other questions/concerns and by all means let us know how it turns out, show us some pics!!! ....again, just my 2 cents from personal experience.....hope that it helps and good luck to you!!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/16/2011 12:47 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Thanks Canis for the reply! I'll modify my parts a bit and post back with the new selection. I just want to get all the kinks out, pun intended , before I start buying parts and realize that they're not fully functional.

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/16/2011 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

OK so here are links to different pieces...

1) Pump
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...d=tRPNVFsa&mv_pc=3822

2) Reservoir
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...d=tRPNVFsa&mv_pc=3997

3) Video Card Block
http://www.frozencpu.com/produ...d=tRPNVFsa&mv_pc=5651

I will also most likely be using Gentle Typhoon fans, if I can find any.

I am sort of unfamiliar with the drain and fill portion but to my understanding that is made much easier by having a reservoir. Is this true?

Thanks!

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/16/2011 01:51 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Yep... Easier drain and fill is pretty much the only reason to have a reservoir. The reservoir won't have any effect on cooling unless you make it ridiculously huge or have some setup which cools the reservoir directly before the liquid is circulated back into the rest of the system.

You could also use a fill port and drain port where you just pour the water directly into the loop through the fill port and then plug it once all the air has bled out. I always used a reservoir though, because I found it easier just to stick a reservoir somewhere, prime the pump, and then let the system bleed its self through the reservoir.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Edited: 03/16/2011 at 01:58 PM by Mime
 03/16/2011 04:31 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Looks good!!

You may find that the Yate Loon fans are better performers at a cheaper price....do some comparisons for CFM, Pressure, RPM and DB's to make your decision off of. I don't have them personally, but I've seen that most of the WC world really speaks highly of them.

I am sort of unfamiliar with the drain and fill portion but to my understanding that is made much easier by having a reservoir. Is this true?

A res is very important indeed, and should be place immediately before the pump inlet. The #1 cause of failure for a WC pump is no liquid to pump....you want a good supply of fluid available right before the pump so that there is no chance of it sucking up air. What you want to design into your loop is an easy way to fill/bleed/drain your loop, so by that I mean you want to make sure that when you are figuring out where you are going to place your res so that you have easy access to it for these purposes.

Things to take into consideration:

For filling/bleeding the loop: If your res is the highest point in your loop that is where most of the air bubbles will collect and it will be easier for you to bleed.

For draining the loop: If you intall a T or Y connector at your lowest point in your loop it will make it easier for you to drain.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/16/2011 05:02 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Awesome! Thanks for the info Canis, it's really helping me

Would the loop look something like this...

Res -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Rad -> rinse, repeat

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/16/2011 09:42 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Also, just a thought...do you think a smaller radiator would do just as well a job as the one I have listed up top? I measured it out when I got home and that thing is going to be a pain to try and place inside the case.

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/16/2011 09:46 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

http://www.frozencpu.com/produ..._Radiator_-_Black.html perhaps?

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/17/2011 12:53 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Originally posted by: Zombie01

Awesome! Thanks for the info Canis, it's really helping me [IMG][/IMG]

Would the loop look something like this...

Res -> Pump -> CPU -> GPU -> Rad -> rinse, repeat

No worries man, that's what we're here for....

Actually, the recommended order, if you can swing it, is:

Res -> Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> GPU -> rinse, repeat

Originally posted by: Zombie01

http://www.frozencpu.com/produ..._Radiator_-_Black.html perhaps?

That would work too, but you may not get as good of cooling at load......to compensate for that you may want to look at higher CFM fans.....it will be a bit louder but you can get a fan controller and manually adjust them to run slower when you are not stressing your rig out.

03/17/2011 09:09 AM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Alright, good deal man. I measured the first radiator again and if I move my dvd drive down to the bottom bay I could probably swing the larger radiator mounted up top.

I'll take a look at higher CFM fans too.

Thanks!

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/17/2011 12:15 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Another option is to mount the radiator outside the case. That way the water running through it will be cooled to the temperature of the room, rather than the temperature inside your case. If you have decent airflow inside your case there shouldn't be a huge difference... just another choice better made before you start drilling holes in things.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
 03/17/2011 12:33 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Yea I was thinking that as well, and then I'd be able to keep my 200(?)mm fan inside the case on the roof.

When mounting the fans to the rad, I'm assuming you mount them so they're blowing air IN the radiator and not blowing it away from it?

Also, I was thinking of just mounting the pump and res on the bottom of the case near the psu. Is there any benefit to doing this or does it put those components at a disadvantage?

All this is very appreciated guys!

p.s. I think I'm going to get everything ordered this weekend; the stuff I can't pick up at Microcenter anyway.

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/17/2011 01:24 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Here ya go, read this article, it is chalked full of excellent information that will get you up to speed quickly on radiators, fan orientation and shrouds.

03/17/2011 01:35 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Went to order the radiator and they went out of stock as soon as I clicked add to cart

Would this be about the same as the Black Ice GTX-420?
http://www.svc.com/rad-3670.html

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/17/2011 10:34 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

That one should do you fine. Just make sure that when you get it, right before you install it into your loop, boil up a good amount of distilled water and fill the rad about half full.....shake the hell out of it (put some thick gloves on....trust me...LOL). Keep doing this until the water is coming out clear. This will get all of the manufacturer leftovers out from the build of that rad and protect your pump from having junk in the fuild.

FYI, the best way that I've found to get the boiling water into the rad without giving yourself third degree burns is a turkey baster....LOL

03/17/2011 11:25 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Haha ok will do man. Thanks. Got everything ordered and should be here within the week. Hopefully some pics up by next weekend!

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/19/2011 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Just got the reservoir and cpu / gpu blocks. One thing I noticed though after checking out the gpu block is that it does not have a back plate. Is this something that I am going to need in order to make the gpu block functional or does it just attach to one side of the card?

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
 03/19/2011 12:58 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

If your card has a back plate on it already, then you should be able to reuse that.

03/21/2011 12:07 PM

Author Icon
Zombie01

Canis you don't happen to know if the 420mm radiator will fit in the top of the Corsair 800D case do you? I have decided to return my case and put the refund towards a bigger Full case. I was leaning towards the 800D but just want to throw it out there and see if anybody has any experience mounting a radiator of this size in it somewhere.

Thanks!

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
Corsair GS800
Corsair Obsidian 800D
Liquid Cooled
Win 7 64-bit
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information