AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Zacate + Radeon 5450 power consumption?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/22/2011 05:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/22/2011 05:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
qhoa1385
Lurker

I'm planning on getting a 5450 2GB for my current HTPC

the problem is my case which is hte ISK 300-65, which only has 65Watts PSU
can I use the 5450 in my Zacate rig? there aren't many component
1x4GB Ram
1x 320 2.5 HDD
the Zacate mobo
1x 80mm fan (planning on a little modding to get a 120mm mounted)

that's pretty much it
 03/23/2011 01:09 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Welcome to the forum!!

I looked up the two 2GB 5450's that are listed on Newegg:

HIS H545HR2G Radeon HD 5450 2GB

PowerColor Go! Green AX5450 2GBK3-SH Radeon HD 5450 2GB

The HIS states a minimum of a 400W PSU, and the PowerColor states 350W. You will need to upgrade your PSU even if you were going to only use it in 2D mode I would be willing to bet, but there would be no way that you could power that card with just a 64W PSU.

The review here states that a system with a reference ATI 5450 uses 150W at idle and 161W at load, stressing the card with Furmark, which is almost a straight 100% usage on the GPU core. Taking into account that they used an i7 965 Extreme, I would say that most of the power draw is from the CPU alone...LOL...way overkill for testing this card out....HAHA....no way that any of the results show that that CPU is limiting the GPU there....LOL.

This review on the other hand appears to factor out just what the card would pull for the HIS 5450 running with an i7 920, it states that the card only pulls 5W at idle, 12W at average usage and 13W at load. So that review would make it seem that you should be able to even on the non-green powered HIS, it would be lower with the PowerColor I would imagine.

All that said, your 65W PSU would need to be a top quality unit to ensure that you are getting as much wattage/amperage to your components. Even if that PSU was rated at 80Gold status that would mean that you are only getting roughly 52W of true power to the components, the rest is being lost to heat. I would be willing to bet that your PSU is a generic one so you can count on it supplying even less that 52W to the system. If I were you I would look at getting a different hight-quality, low-power, PSU if you intend on getting a 5450 for it. Remember, the PSU is the most important component in any computer.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/23/2011 09:31 AM

Author Icon
qhoa1385
Lurker

Originally posted by: Canis-X

Welcome to the forum!!

I looked up the two 2GB 5450's that are listed on Newegg:

HIS H545HR2G Radeon HD 5450 2GB

PowerColor Go! Green AX5450 2GBK3-SH Radeon HD 5450 2GB

The HIS states a minimum of a 400W PSU, and the PowerColor states 350W. You will need to upgrade your PSU even if you were going to only use it in 2D mode I would be willing to bet, but there would be no way that you could power that card with just a 64W PSU.

The review here states that a system with a reference ATI 5450 uses 150W at idle and 161W at load, stressing the card with Furmark, which is almost a straight 100% usage on the GPU core. Taking into account that they used an i7 965 Extreme, I would say that most of the power draw is from the CPU alone...LOL...way overkill for testing this card out....HAHA....no way that any of the results show that that CPU is limiting the GPU there....LOL.

This review on the other hand appears to factor out just what the card would pull for the HIS 5450 running with an i7 920, it states that the card only pulls 5W at idle, 12W at average usage and 13W at load. So that review would make it seem that you should be able to even on the non-green powered HIS, it would be lower with the PowerColor I would imagine.

All that said, your 65W PSU would need to be a top quality unit to ensure that you are getting as much wattage/amperage to your components. Even if that PSU was rated at 80Gold status that would mean that you are only getting roughly 52W of true power to the components, the rest is being lost to heat. I would be willing to bet that your PSU is a generic one so you can count on it supplying even less that 52W to the system. If I were you I would look at getting a different hight-quality, low-power, PSU if you intend on getting a 5450 for it. Remember, the PSU is the most important component in any computer.

=/

I should've gotten the 150w for a little more power

Oh well, the 6310 onboard is good enough i guess, just wanted to use that PCIe x4 for a little juice for

Thanks!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information