Increase font size
Topic Title: Budget-ish Build?
Topic Summary: Need *some* parts....
Created On: 03/28/2011 02:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/28/2011 02:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
imdandman
Driod

Hello,

The motherboard on my old x2 6400+ setup died about a week ago, so I figure it's time for an upgrade.

I would like this to be a nice fast machine, but I dont want to spend a fortune, so I'm going to try to cannibalize as many parts as I can out of my old computer.

I currently have the following in good working order and would like to use them in my new setup...

Thermaltake Purewoer 500W
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm
ATI FirePro v4800
Litescribe DVD Burner (SATA 3.0 Gbps)
500 GB Western Digital HDD (SATA 3.0 Gbps)
Two 20" monitors
Mouse
Keyboard
Speakers
Cables for all of the above
Optional: Memory card reader

I do my old processor, but I would like a speed upgrade so I left that out of the list. I've got my old case too, but it was just a stock Compaq case and didn't ventilate very well.

Given the list above, I think the only thing I need is a case, processor, thermal paste, motherboard, and ram?

I want 8 GB of RAM to start with, but room on the motherboard to go up to 16 maybe someday would be good. I guess I would prefer 4 GB sticks in this case.

Bonus Points if the motherboard can accept my old memory card reader. I'm not sure what you call it, but the connection on it was a small piece that accepted 4 pins. Probably about a half inch wide.

For processors I'm thinking about the Phenom II x6 1100T, but I was curious about how this compared to the 1090T? Is it worth the extra $30? Why is it listed with two different clock speeds?

I was thinking about this case because of it's price point and lots of fans. Thoughts?

Here is a link to my public wishlist on Newegg.

Please let me know what you think. I would like to keep the total cost of the parts I have to buy under $400

EDIT: I also have 8 GBs of DDR2 RAM that I could use if that is even possible...?

Edited: 03/28/2011 at 05:12 PM by imdandman
 03/28/2011 07:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

If u need a machine asap and Microcenter is an option i would make full use of the 8GB DDR2 and hit this $160 965BE + MSI 785GT-E63 ATX/AM2+ combo

Perhaps TT V3 $29.99AR for case?

However if 2-3 months wait is doable, Zambezi and a spanking 970/990X chipset would be my #1 choice in your shoes Am awaiting 980G/mATX offerings meself wee~

-------------------------

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y

Edited: 03/28/2011 at 07:56 PM by batuchka
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information