Increase font size
Topic Title: [MB+CPU] Virtualization Recommends
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/07/2011 12:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/07/2011 12:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TuxPowered
Lurker

No, I am not a Enterprise Administrator, just a man with a hobby.

I need hardware to run KVM (Virtualization), but it is a requirement that the price is not going to be a ton. (I can spent something like €300)

I need to replace the Motherboard and the CPU only.

The CPU:
    AMD-V
    AMD-VI (IOMMU)
    NPT (SLAS/EPT)

The motherboard I want must have (IPMI/iKVM/How You Want to Call it). (BIOS Level VNC) This is not mandatory, but can be very useful.

Of course, 16/24GB of RAM in it should also be nice, but that is about the available DIMMS. And the Power Consumption is another nice thing.

Thanks for the recommendations!
 08/09/2011 09:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: TuxPowered

No, I am not a Enterprise Administrator, just a man with a hobby.

I need hardware to run KVM (Virtualization), but it is a requirement that the price is not going to be a ton. (I can spent something like €300)

I need to replace the Motherboard and the CPU only.

The CPU:

AMD-V

AMD-VI (IOMMU)

NPT (SLAS/EPT)

The motherboard I want must have (IPMI/iKVM/How You Want to Call it). (BIOS Level VNC) This is not mandatory, but can be very useful.

Of course, 16/24GB of RAM in it should also be nice, but that is about the available DIMMS. And the Power Consumption is another nice thing.

Thanks for the recommendations!

You are essentially describing a modern server/workstation setup. The current Opteron 4100 and 6100 series CPUs and the SR5690 chipset support all of the features you describe. The CPUs support all of the virtualization features you request, the SR5690 chipset has the IOMMU, and the motherboards support IPKVM and >32 GB of RAM. The setup in my signature below has all of those features and they are quite handy as I do quite a bit of work with virtualization and find the IPKVM controller to be very useful. However, a workstation build is not cheap and you will spend considerably in excess of EUR300. My motherboard alone costs about $430, and with VAT and all of that, you're probably paying over EUR400 for it over in Europe. That's not even counting CPUs or RAM. You'd really be looking to spend more like EUR750 to get such a setup, not EUR300.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information