AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Phenom 2 vs A8
Topic Summary: Which Would You Recommend?
Created On: 10/08/2011 07:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/08/2011 07:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
silly_windows
Lurker

Hi All,

I am buying a budget PC soon and I am tossing up between two at the moment. One PC has an AMD Phenom II x2 64 Bit 3.2Ghz and the other has a AMD A8 3850 Quad Core Fusion APU 2.9GHz.

Which processor would you recommend/prefer?

My main tasks will be School Work, Media (Photoshop/Adobe Suites) and Gaming.

Kind Regards,
Silly_Windows
 10/09/2011 04:37 PM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

The A8 sounds like the better system for you. The strength of AM3/AM3+ systems is the ability to run 6-core and very shortly 8-core CPUs plus have a lot of PCI Express bandwidth for graphics cards and other expansion cards. Llano CPUs on FM1 have much better integrated graphics and a lower cost overall than an AM3/AM3+ Phenom II system at the expense of less PCI Express bandwidth and no ability to upgrade past quad-core CPUs.

Your usage patterns are pretty light and you would be much better suited by the A8 due to its better integrated graphics. You could replicate the A8's graphics performance with the Phenom II system with an add-in card, but it would cost more, run hotter, and use more power.

-------------------------
 10/21/2011 10:33 AM

Author Icon
michalj82
Lurker

I would recommend you Phenom II and motherboard with AM3+ socket (for example Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3) because FX processors are compatible with this socket. A and E series processors got FM1 socket and have less performance than Phenom II.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information