Increase font size
Topic Title: Processor Choice for mid-range ($600 USD) OpenGL linux box
Topic Summary: Processor Choice for mid-range ($600 USD) OpenGL linux box
Created On: 10/17/2011 12:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2011 12:20 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
conandoyle
Lurker

I am looking for help on choosing an AMD processor for my new system. I am building this system to replicate functionality I have at work, so one of the requirements that is not up for change is that I have to have a fermi based NVIDIA gpu. We do extensive CUDA programming and if my new system can accomodate this requirement I might as well not build it. I am looking at one of the GTX cards.

My total budget is ~$600 USD, for that I need case, mobo, cpu, DVD R/W, GPU, and HD (I think thats it... I have monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.)

As for CPU I was looking at the Phenom II line of quad core CPUs (X4 vs X6 to save some $)... perhaps this one:

Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Someone suggested I look at the APUs, but I had read that with the combined CPU/GPUs if you put in a discrete graphics card (non-AMD) the system performance might suffer since the real performance boost is in the combination of the two and that to get the performance boost, some sacrifices on the cpu side are made that limit is performance in a purely CPU mode. Not sure if I summed that up correctly or if it makes sense. I know there are benefits of the APU combined with a discrete AMD gpu, but as I mentioned, for now I must have fermi based nvidia gpu.

Should I consider an APU for my system, even though I know I am going NVIDIA to begin with? I will quite possibly be moving later on to OpenCL from CUDA, but that is probably significantly down the road. 6 months to 1 year.

I guess I am looking for suggestions, in general, for a AMD CPU choice and posibly matching mobo, to build a machine around. The machine will be used to develop advanced OpenGL/CUDA applications under Linux, preferably for $600-ish (including GPU, so really about $400 for system minus GPU).

CD
 10/22/2011 05:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
michalj82
Lurker

I think you should buy Phenom II X6 1100T because it's better tahn FX-8150 and it will give you enough performance for few years so you'll spend money once instead of buying new processor after few months because the old one wouldn't be strong enough to handle new software.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information