AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: A8-3850 specifications
Topic Summary: Temperature ranges? Nominal voltage? AMD seems to be ignoring me.
Created On: 11/16/2011 09:11 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2011 09:11 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Greetings,

I need to know normal operating temperature range, and operating voltage (normal) for A8-3850. I am not trying nor intending to overclock, I just want to take care of my CPU, and I don't know if it is ok for it to go to around 80ºC (all 4 cores running at 100%, stock cooler, case is open).

I have been trying to get these specifications for this CPU (A8-3850) with no luck, I even opened a ticket at AMD support... they seem to be just ignoring me ...

I only know this CPU is currently going to 80ºC because I did setup BIOS to warn me if it goes above that temperature, at OS level I seem to be reading temperature 15 degrees lower (MB beeps at 65ºC according to OS, and BIOS warning is set at 80ºC).

My motherboard is Gigabyte A75-UD4H, RAM is Corsair CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9, which, btw, the BIOS is configuring as 1333 instead of 1600 as it should... sigh. maybe that's for another topic, likely at a gigabyte-related forum.

Thanks in advance!

Ildefonso Camargo
 11/16/2011 02:47 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

I'm not sure whats the nomal operating temp for these APU's are but I'm pretty sure its not 80c.
Try downloading AOD (Amd Over Drive) and see what your core temps are at under full load.

Core temp is the actul temp of the cpu were the BIOS is getting its reading from
a sensor thats behind the cpu/apu on the MB that why there a 10-15 degrees diffrince.

Also you have to manuly set the ram to 1600 in the BIOS if left on auto it will alway
default to 1333Mhz

-------------------------
PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 11/16/2011 03:12 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Hi SlayerX, thanks for answering!

Yes, I just set RAM to 1600 manually, and configured values according to Corsair website (found the configuration there), it is working just fine .

Now, SlayerX, that's exactly the issue, I don't know (either) what the correct temps are .... and I can't understand why AMD is so reluctant about giving this specification, I mean, I just want to take care of my CPU, maybe I'm overreacting and 80ºC is just fine, or maybe not! (my 6th sense tells me to don't get anything above 70ºC).... also, voltages, according to BIOS the MB is giving around 1.38V to the core, but I have no idea if that's ok!, maybe I have to lower it, but AMD doesn't say a thing about electrical specifications for this.

About installing AOD: I can't, I'm not using Windows, I'm using Linux. I'm trying to get output from more sensors.

Ildefonso.

Edited: 11/16/2011 at 03:34 PM by ildefonso
 11/16/2011 03:50 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Hi again,

I forgot to comment on this: I get non-sense temperatures from time to time, the other day I got 11ºC, which doesn't make any sense as ambient temperature was above 20ºC..... unless the chip had an integral Peltier cooler .... I don't think so. This discard the possibility of an external MB sensor .

I got output from more sensors, and got this:

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +36.0°C (high = +70.0°C)

it8720-isa-0228
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0: +1.38 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in1: +1.50 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in2: +3.36 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
+5V: +2.98 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in4: +3.04 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in5: +0.00 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
in6: +2.11 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
5VSB: +2.98 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
Vbat: +3.14 V
fan1: 2755 RPM (min = 10 RPM)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan4: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: +41.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: +79.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp3: +45.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +80.0°C) sensor = thermistor
cpu0_vid: +0.000 V

Now, temp2.... 79ºC!!! this is an idle system... .sigh, I need to get real temperatures... also, voltage readings have to be wrong, I just measured 5V rail, and it is 5.07V (which is ok).

I guess I'll try to get a Windows install on this PC and install AOD in order to get actual values, and at least know if I'm burning the CPU ... or maybe, if this is a faulty CPU (I hope not).

Ildefonso.
 11/16/2011 05:25 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Yeah, you right AMD is not given any specs on whats the max operating temps for these APU's are (well what I can find anyways) but I did find that thay tested them at 115c for 500 hr so I don't think your going to fry your apu at 70c.
Remember the chip will shut it self down or throttle down if it gets too hot.

Now the temps you gave my best guess it that
temp1 is the core temp
temp2= mobo
temp3= apu

If I'm right then your MB temp is insanly high and would explane why your cpu/apu temps are hitting 70c but I would't trust those readings.

Can you run Everst or HWmonitor or even speedfan on Linux?

Oh yeah,
Are you using a video card or just the apu's graphics?

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
 11/16/2011 08:40 PM

Author Icon
cvsi3
Elite

Here is AMD's link for the specs to that cpu. Unfortunetly they have max temp blank. So maybe they dont know yet?

Link

Edit: What kind of cooler are you using for it. Also when you put the new cpu in did you clear the cmos and set default settings? Ive had it happen on past platforms where initially the motherboard set the default voltage and whatnot to a different cpu causing it to run hot. Just an Idea.

Also, you dont have to be in the OS to monitor the temps, usually there is somewhere in the bios that displays that info. Only thing is it wouldnt be under load. Maybe try reseating the Heatsink as well.

Edit 2: Another thing you could try is updating the bios to the newest verson for the board, maybe its just a glitch and not reading correctly also. Link below for the motherboard that you provided.

Gigabyte

i7 2600K - Asus Maximus Extreme-Z - G.Skill DDR3 2133 CL9 - MSI 5870 - Corsair 1200w PSU - 2 x Western Digital Raptors Raid 0 - Swiftech Apogee XT Water Block - Swiftech MCP655 Pump - 120mm Quad Rad - Windows 7 - Ubuntu x64

5311Mhz Validation

Edited: 11/16/2011 at 08:53 PM by cvsi3
 11/16/2011 11:14 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Originally posted by: SlayerX

Yeah, you right AMD is not given any specs on whats the max operating temps for these APU's are (well what I can find anyways) but I did find that thay tested them at 115c for 500 hr so I don't think your going to fry your apu at 70c.

Uh... a link to that test information would be nice .

Remember the chip will shut it self down or throttle down if it gets too hot.

Yes, I know that... nevertheless, I'd rather not getting it that hot....

Now the temps you gave my best guess it that

temp1 is the core temp

temp2= mobo

temp3= apu

Well there are actually two temp1, the first one seems to be CPU temperature, offset by around 11, maybe 14 degrees... the other temp1... I don't really know, it doesn't climb as I load the system.

If I'm right then your MB temp is insanly high and would explane why your cpu/apu temps are hitting 70c but I would't trust those readings.

No, I don't think I can trust them either...

Can you run Everst or HWmonitor or even speedfan on Linux?

mmm... I don't even know what are those .... all hardware monitoring I have ever done on Linux is via kernel facilities, no need to find anything else until now.... well, except hddtemp for disks.

Oh yeah,

Are you using a video card or just the apu's graphics?

Just the APU's graphics.

I need to borrow a hard drive to install windows and see if I can do some tests with real information... now, the biggest issue I see here is that AMD is unwilling (or even worst, unable?) to give this information.. as I said, I even opened a support ticket: not even a word this far .

Ildefonso
 11/16/2011 11:23 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Originally posted by: cvsi3

Here is AMD's link for the specs to that cpu. Unfortunetly they have max temp blank. So maybe they dont know yet?

Link

Yes, I know .... I even opened a support ticket to try to get the information from the, but they seem to be ignoring it, or maybe it got lost... I think I could try to contact them again, because I'm resisting to believe that they just don't want to give it.

Edit: What kind of cooler are you using for it. Also when you put the new cpu in did you clear the cmos and set default settings? Ive had it happen on past platforms where initially the motherboard set the default voltage and whatnot to a different cpu causing it to run hot. Just an Idea.

Stock cooler. mmm... the MB was brand new, but I didn't cleared the BIOS (however, I did upgraded the BIOS, and that caused a defaults load, but maybe that's not enough).

Also, you dont have to be in the OS to monitor the temps, usually there is somewhere in the bios that displays that info. Only thing is it wouldnt be under load. Maybe try reseating the Heatsink as well.

I know, in BIOS I get 35ºC (idle), with cpu fan running at 100% (~3400rpm).

Edit 2: Another thing you could try is updating the bios to the newest verson for the board, maybe its just a glitch and not reading correctly also. Link below for the motherboard that you provided.

Gigabyte

Yep, already did it. I did that while trying to avoid a "black screen" issue (after running for a few hours, video would just not come back after entering sleep state), the driver update + BIOS update seems to have fixed that.

mmmm.... seeing the page again, it looks like they released a newer BIOS... F7, I'm on F6.. and F7 says "1. Update CPU code", sounds interesting, I'll apply that and lets see .

Thanks!

Ildefonso.
 11/17/2011 01:36 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

I went back to find a link for you on 115c for 500hr thing and it was for the socket FM1 design specification and not for the apu it self... sorry.

It is strange that thay don't have a max temp for these APU's even in the processor product data sheet there's no mention of temp.

If you have two temp1's and one of them climbs as soon as you load the cpu that one would be the core temp.
Is this one hitting 70c?

I also noticed that your cpu fan is only hitting 3400RPM, if its the same one that came with my 1100T and 955 than the max RPM's should be closer to 6000rpm
and sound like a vacume cleaner.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
 11/18/2011 10:29 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Greetings,

I got a word from AMD (actually, on Nov 15, I don't know why I missed that mail ...), anyway, here it is what they say!!

AMD A8 Quad Core 3850: max temp: 72,7°C and voltage 0,45-1,4125 V.

So, mine hitting 80ºC is definitely not a good thing. Now, you worry me even more with FAN speed!!! sigh... I'll do some more tests about it now, because a faulty fan would certainly explain the problem.

Thanks!

Ildefonso.
 11/19/2011 11:14 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

72c wow, I was thinking it was around 65c.

Insted of messing around with that stock HS fan just get a aftermarket HS/F.
you can pick one up for $30-40.00 that will do a far better job than that stock cooler.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
 11/19/2011 09:07 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Yep, 72ºC they said, actually, I find that lower than I expected, I was expecting at least 85ºC .... I mean, I'm used to see semiconductor devices that can operate up to 125ºC (die temperature). But anyway, this means that I have to keep this below 70ºC (65ºC would be a safe point).

Now, it is not like you are going to kill it by operating above that temp, I actually kept mine around 75ºC for almost a week, and sometimes it would hit 80ºC. I never allowed it to go above 80ºC. Now, I wonder if that value (72,7ºC) is wrong, because my MB actually has a temp warning thresholds of up to 90ºC, it has 60, 70, 80 and 90ºC (GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H).

Anyway, SlayerX, yes, I have considered on buying another cooler, but I'm a little worried... I can't find my box right now, but last time I bought a processor-in-a-box I would void warranty by using a third party cooler, and I don't want that either.

For now, I studied my case's air circulation, made a simple modification and also added a new fan, that reduced CPU's temperature by almost 10ºC (not bad at all), now I can run 3 cores and I'm around 65ºC. If I start the fourth core at 100%, it would raise temp to 73~75ºC, but I don't want to go above 70ºC now (after I got that answer from AMD).

I'll try to get a better case, but for now at least I was able to lower this temperature to acceptable values (even though I can't use all 4 cores yet).

SlayerX, say I want to buy one good cooler in the US$0~US$70 range, what would you suggest?
 11/20/2011 12:54 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Originally posted by: ildefonso

Anyway, SlayerX, yes, I have considered on buying another cooler, but I'm a little worried... I can't find my box right now, but last time I bought a processor-in-a-box I would void warranty by using a third party cooler, and I don't want that either.

How are thay going to know?

SlayerX, say I want to buy one good cooler in the US$0~US$70 range, what would you suggest?

There's lots of really good cooler you get that are in that price range but my personal fav is The $72.00 US Corsair H50 out of
all the aftermarket coolers I've had this one is the best hands down.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
 11/20/2011 01:12 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Originally posted by: SlayerX

There's lots of really good cooler you get that are in that price range but my personal fav is The $72.00 US Corsair H50 out of

all the aftermarket coolers I've had this one is the best hands down.

uh, yeah, looks good, but doesn't seem to support FM1 socket .... I was looking at this one:

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler

or this one (but this one is out of my budget ):

Corsair Hydro Series H70 Core Liquid CPU Cooler
 11/20/2011 02:37 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

With all Corsair's Hydro series coolers you'll have to remove the mobo and replace the bracket that supports the heatsink with the one that comes with the H50/70.
Since the the mounting screws for the bracket seem to be in the same place as AM3 it should work.

Its kinda a pain but well worth it or if you don't want to do that than the Cool Master Hyper 212 would be a nice choice too.

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)

Edited: 11/20/2011 at 02:51 PM by SlayerX
 11/23/2011 05:37 AM

Author Icon
drgambo
Lurker

hi,

I have been having some problems with the same board/APU combination
I am on Windows 7-64. However I have a Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2 cooler rather than stock.

however: the temperature you are quoting is not, I think, the real APU core temperature.
On windows Gigabyte have their own monitor software (easy tune) and this gives an APU temperature that correlates with temp 3. However it doesn't really make sense at it goes down below ambient frequently - sitting at 13degrees now with a room temperature at 19degrees. Both temp 2+3 move with APU load.

I think - temp1: motherboard somewhere, always about 35-40degrees
temp2: ???
temp3: APU

I have been having lots of instability though, and I cannot work out why.
It may be related to temperature as there often seems to be a temp spike to ~30degrees on temp 3 before the AMD drivers crash. Windows generally recovers, although it blue screens every now and then.

Have a ticket open with AMD, no useful advice yet but am waiting on a reply.

May try undervolting the APU next, then re-TIM-ing the APU.
 12/11/2011 02:10 PM

Author Icon
ildefonso
Lurker

Greetings,

Just wanted to follow up with this. I initially had my stock cooler, it worked pretty bad, I was unable to use more than 3 cores for 20 minutes, because it would go above 73ºC (and yes, drgambo, temp3 seems to be the correct temp, at least from BIOS point of view)... so, I just limited to 2 cores in the meantime (and 1 core that could "spike" from time to time).

Now, I got all of this, on Back Friday :

1. Thermaltake V4 black edition case... Not as good as I expected (not a bad case, it just doesn't plays well with the h70: not enough room, the installation was tricky).
2. Corsair H70 Core CPU cooler.
3. 4 x Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-L2R-20AC-GP (good fans, a lot of air, but not good if you install them oriented upward).

Anyway, I first installed the H70 on the case, with just 1 FAN (the one that came with the case). This was really hard, as the case had not enough room to put the H70 *anywhere* (the case was just not designed to have this installed, it had just enough room to put 120mm fans, and the h70 would require something like 20mm extra room). At some points, the RAM would get it the way, or the radiator would just not fit... or the radiator would fit, but not the fans. In the end, I had to install it on the rear exhaust, but was unable to put all 4 screws (because I was unable to align it), so, I tied it with 2 screws.

This H70 with slow fan (~900RPM, the one that came with the thermaltake case) reduced my temp with 3 cores running to ~40ºC, so, I went ahead and enabled all 4 cores at 100%, and it would go around 50~57ºC... even after several hours running.

Finally, the other fans arrived, and I installed them: 2 on the H70 (push-pull), I aimed these as exhaust, because I don't want to get CPU heat into the case (RAM gets pretty hot too), 1 in the front of the case (intake) and 1 just above the ram as exhaust on the top of the case, and 1 x 80mm fan as exhaust on the top of the case too (I was unable to fit another 120mm fan there, because the H70 would get in the way).

With this, temperature went to 50~55ºC with all 4 cores and GPU running 100%.

Now, I increased my RAM to its 1600 stock speed (I had to underclock it to keep temperature under control), and set APU voltage to its standard 1.38V. All is just fine now.

Now, one comment here about the FANs, I had to replace the one in the top, because it had *a lot* of vibration (and it produced an uncomfortable noise, not an intense sound, just an ugly one), I noted that this happens when the fan is oriented as exhaust on the top (ie, with air flow going up). I believe this is because of the kind of bearing: sleeve. I just installed the fan that came with the case there.

So, I'm happy with this. Now, I don't like the fact that I had to replace stock cooler, and I have to say that: either temperatures are terribly wrong, or the cooler was faulty (or wrongly designed?). I don't know.

Before buying the H70, I considered the Cooler Master 212 EVO, but I thought it could be just too heavy (~465g), and could actually bend my motherboard a little, so, I decided to just go with the H70, and I don't regret it.

drgambo :

1. Did you upgrade your BIOS? (I did this)
2. What RAM are you using? (I bought one that was on Gigabyte's list: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9).
3. What power supply are you using? (this is important, a faulty power supply could cause the whole system to be unstable).

Ildefonso.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information