Increase font size
Topic Title: HPC system
Topic Summary: High Performance Computing
Created On: 11/22/2011 07:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/22/2011 07:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
p3tris
Lurker

Hi,

Good to find you! I want to buy a new system for HPC research.

I already use a 4x(AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6174) system running Linux. I use it for running computational intensive simulations in a shared-memory (OpenMP) manner.

I need to buy a new dedicated machine and I was thinking about a 4x12-core or 4*16-core based on the new 6200 opteron cpus. But, I see a big argue on the internet about the FPU of this platform. (look here in the comments)

I quote one of the most disturbing: "For non-FPU-heavy workloads, you can get away with that. For pretty much the entire scientific/math/engineering (SME) community; it's an 8-core processor or a highly crippled 16-core processor." by alpha754293

I do mostly FP calculations since I'm into engineering. I program in Fortran-2003 and I make extensive use of BLAS and LAPACK libraries in Double Precision. Moving to this platform will cripple the cores? In general, how do the 6100 series compare towards the 6200 series in FP computation?

Thanks in advance,
Petros
 11/22/2011 09:32 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

The issue is, at least in any of the Windows OS's, the scheduler does not farm the jobs out properly and the end result is slower performance. Since the FPU is shared between two clusters it causes a lot of problems with the current drivers (shared scheduler support). You can choose to disable a single cluster per module and performance is vastly improved. I'm not sure if the issue is as bad in Linux though, I heard that AMD and Linux developers were actively working to improve the scheduler performance but that is not to say that Microsoft is doing the same.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 11/22/2011 10:40 AM

Author Icon
p3tris
Lurker

Hi,

First of all thanks for the fast answer! The machine will be running Linux.

I think I got my answer! These two threads are really useful:

http://www.amdzone.com/phpbb3/...ic.php?f=532&t=138525
http://blogs.amd.com/work/2010/10/25/the-new-flex-fp/

Thanks for the time! I'm going for the 6200 series btw
 07/07/2012 03:40 AM

Author Icon
civilmh
Lurker

Dear Friends,
I hope you do well. I want to buy a cpu (or cpus) to cover my work best. my work is related to computation (Finite Element Analysis by ANSYS Software).
I have a budget about $700. at first, what kind (Phenom, Opteron,...) of AMD do you recommend? recently, ASUS presented a MB that supports dual processors. do you recommend me to buy two cpus (each price of them about $350) or buy one cpu? after that, with considering my budget, what chipset you recommed?
Tnx in advance,
Hajsadeghi,
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information