Increase font size
Topic Title: "AMD Display Driver Has Stopped Responding" Error
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/07/2012 01:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/07/2012 01:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zmanwarrior
Lurker

Hey there. I've been all over the place trying to find help for this, but I keep getting different answers everywhere I turn.

I run an HP Pavilion dv7-6135dx Entertainment PC (laptop)

The PC came with switchable graphics which I set from dynamic to static so I could play games running with OpenGL.

I've been getting the somewhat infamous "AMD Display driver has stopped responding" error since early November. They're infrequent compared to what I hear from a lot of others, only happening once on an average of two or three days, though I somehow managed to keep it from happening for about a month up until earlier this month when I tried to play oblivion (which kept crashing, probably due to conflicting mods)

It mostly tends to happen, ironically, when I'm browsing the web, on MSPaint or playing a game that's not at all graphically demanding. I had updated my drivers from my current running version (8.830.6.2000/April 12 2011) to the latest drivers, but that actually made the problem worse.

I'm on my laptop a lot, but most of it isn't gaming or anything like that. I write and read and use image editing programs to draw and such.

I have two graphics processors, Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics, and Radeon (TM) HD 6490M, the latter of which is of course the one giving me problems. I've cleaned out my vents via compressed air and sprayed out dust from the guts of my PC with it as well. There wasn't much to begin with and it hasn't helped at all. I didn't want to do anything else physically yet because it's still under warranty. As I've said the latest drivers only make the problem worse (causing the crash to happen while playing Minecraft after about thirty seconds, while it works fine on my current driver.)

I really need advice on how to deal with this effectively. After two long phone conversations with HP they've told me to reinstall windows from scratch, which I really only want to do as a last resort.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information