AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Can you bring and old school AMD Athlon XP motherboard up to speed?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/23/2012 04:08 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/23/2012 04:08 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Gears189
Lurker

I just inherited my older brothers computer. The computer was built back around 2002 and it was a beast back then when it came to gaming. The motherboard is an AMD Athlon XP from what I can tell and I don't know what the processor is but its got a big orange fan on it that says Tt. I do remember him dishing out alot of money for the processor though. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this and I definately don't want to screw up the computer.
If I can get Battlefield 3 or Shogun Total War to play on medium to low setting with decent frame rates I'll be happy. I do understand that this could be a long shot.
The computer runs fine for going online, I'm using it right now. It needs a new sound card, thats was the one thing my brother yanked out of it before he handed the computer over to me. If anyone could recommend a good AGP compatible sound card that works with the AMD Athlon XP, that would be great.
Also the graphics card needs an upgrade. The one in it right now is the Nvidia GeForce 4, one of the mid range models. I looked online and the pickings for an AGP compatible graphics card are slim. The best I could find was the Radeon 4670 750 MHz Core with 1 GB DDR3. There was a clip on Youtube were a guy was using this graphics card in an Asus to play Battlefield 3 multiplayer on medium settings.
Mostly I want to now if the Radeon 4670 is compatible with the AMD Athlon XP motherboard...and I want to play Battlefield 3...and Shogun Total War, without having to completely rebuild the computer. I'm not expecting the greatest graphics in the world. Just the greatest games in the world.
Any help will be appretiated.
 01/24/2012 10:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

That Athlon XP was a beast back in the day but it is totaly out classed by the games you want to play.

Now a AGP 4670 is compatible with you motherboard but don't expect to play battlefeild 3 on medium settings.

-------------------------
PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information