AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Fractal rendering on a multiple socket, multiple core Opteron?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/24/2012 06:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/24/2012 06:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alllfractup
Lurker

Is there an Opteron system with multiple CPU sockets supporting a base speed of 4 GHz or faster (as a whole or per core)? I'm trying to get the best render station for my 20K (20,480 x 20,480 pixels) fractal movie. What I want is to be able to render each of these mammoth frames in seconds if possible. I'd rather not spend decades to complete this task

So any pointers you can provide is appreciated.

Bruce Berryhill
Fractal Artist & Animator
www.allfractup.com
Creator of nearly 100,000 fractal images
16,800 HD VJ Loops
300,000 Fractal Sounds
and more...

-------------------------
Bruce Berryhill
www.allfractup.com
16,800 HD VJ Loops
300,000 fractal sounds*
 01/31/2012 11:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

Originally posted by: alllfractup

Is there an Opteron system with multiple CPU sockets supporting a base speed of 4 GHz or faster (as a whole or per core)? I'm trying to get the best render station for my 20K (20,480 x 20,480 pixels) fractal movie. What I want is to be able to render each of these mammoth frames in seconds if possible. I'd rather not spend decades to complete this task

So any pointers you can provide is appreciated.

Bruce Berryhill

www.allfractup.com

16,800 HD VJ Loops

300,000 Fractal Sounds

and more...

What system is best largely depends on how multithreaded your workload is. If your fractal rendering program is highly threaded, you just want as many threads as possible. You would want at least a dual-processor system with two 16-core Opterons, such as Opteron 6272s or whatever your budget allows. Ideally you would have a four-socket system with four of those chips, but the only way to do that relatively inexpensively is to build your own as off-the-shelf four-socket servers carry a huge markup. The 16-core Opterons are not all that highly clocked (2.1-2.6 GHz) but the large number of cores more than makes up for it.

If your program is not all that highly threaded, still consider going the lots-of-cores route, since you can run multiple fractal renders at the same time. You might want to consider using a pair of slightly higher-clocked 12-core or 8-core Opterons in place of the 16-core units depending on just how many tasks you plan to run in parallel and just how threaded your program is.

If your program is fairly poorly threaded and you only do one render at a time, then I would suggest going with a desktop chip such as an FX-8150, Phenom II X4 980, or Phenom II X6 1100T. Server CPUs are actually clocked a little lower than desktop CPUs for the most case. However, realize that a standard desktop can only handle 32 GB of RAM, whereas a dual-socket Opteron 6200 system can handle 256-384 GB of RAM. 20K x 20K pixel images sound like something that use a ton of RAM, so you may very well need to go the server route just to get the memory capacity you need. In that case, go with the 3.3 GHz quad-core Opteron 6204s or the faster 8-core Opteron 6200s.

-------------------------
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information