Increase font size
Topic Title: Mother Board Info
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/04/2007 09:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2007 09:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheWolf

I am in the process of building a high powered computer designed specifically for rendering intense 3D imagery from the program Maya. I am trying to construct a machine that will use the new Barcelona Quad processor. Actually, I am trying to find a motherboard that will support two of those processors.
I am hoping that someone here will have some info on whether or not there is an AMD compatible board that can support this type of architecture. Most people at the component level retail stores look at me like I have 12 heads when I tell them I want to make a dual quad core machine, but if you have ever sat through a design that takes 8 hours per frame to render because of the complexity of it all, you will know why I need this kind of power. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
-R
 11/04/2007 10:30 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Hi,

For the kind of rig your looking at you'll need a Socket F motherboard, that'll accomodate 2 of the Barcelona Opeteron CPU's something like this one:

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-...000-Series-Support-8-D

Its available at Newegg and can be seen Here

It also provides SLI capability for improved Graphics perfromance....

Hope it helps some....

-------------------------

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide

Edited: 11/04/2007 at 10:39 PM by kazgirl
 11/04/2007 11:00 PM

Author Icon
TheWolf

Thanks for the info. That board looks pretty good, I'm going to have to do some comparison shopping now. Thanks again!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information