Topic Title: Old Opteron vs New Phenom
Topic Summary: Deciding what to buy.
Created On: 11/30/2007 02:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2007 12:59 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

I think I'll pass kazgirl onto this...

-------------------------
Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 12/07/2007 10:21 AM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

First of all many thanks to PorscheRacer for pointing me back to this thread, I been so busy I had forgot all about it.....

Hi tymaoretae,

Thanks for your replies, I also have a phenom on an asus M2N32SLI, and have the same problem with the HT link.

I hadn't tried ntune, how I didn't think to try it I don't know, perhaps I've just gotten to accustomed to using the BIOS for changing settings.

I had cross flashed the M2N32SLI Premium mobo BIOS 0702 to my Deluxe mobo, after the 1503 BIOS seemed to have this problem, so I wonder if the ntune trick will will still work for me, if not then I'll flash back to the 1503 BIOS.

The odd thing is that with the 0702 Premium BIOS installed it appears to have unlocked the CPU multipliers, though I can't be sure of this..... as there has been little performance gain, which I was putting down to the inadequate HT speed.....so I hope that the ntune trick will work with 0702 BIOS and see what effects it has....

I'll post back with results to let you know if it works...

Thanks again for posting your results with ntune....

UPDATE:

OK so I tried the ntune trick, and it did unlcok my HT multi, I had set BIOS settings back to defualts before tring it...

So it unlocked the HT, CPU-Z still isnt working for me though so can't get confirmation using it, but ntune and everest both show the HT Link as 1000MHz.

But now theres another new problem, I keep getting a BSOD at random times, "Clock Interrupt request not received form secondary processor in the allocated interval" stop code: 0x00000101.

Getting this when running 3dmark06 after the 2nd CPU test completes, and after re-boot after about 3 mins of Vista idling with nothing else running same BSOD...

So all in all I'm calling it a day on Phenom for the time being and putting the 6400+ back in until a new BIOS is available or I get a new mobo, whichever is the sooner....

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide

Edited: 12/07/2007 at 02:21 PM by kazgirl
 12/07/2007 07:04 PM

Author Icon
tymaoaretae

I'm sorry for your troubles.

I have not had any stability problems, and CPU-Z shows me the correct values.
I tried downloading and running 3dmark06 just in case, but it completed fine with a score of 3917 (which as far as I can tell is to be expected with a 7800gtx, the CPU score was almost as high as the full score, but the SM scores were in the low 800s. I've never used 3dmark before, so maybe I'm wrong on that. I also just "ran" it when it downloaded, I didn't close any of the other stuff I had open...so it's probably not the most valid benchmark). Maybe it's the cross-flashing you did? I've never tried using a bios that wasn't intended for the board in question before, though I did use a modded bios on my dual P3 system way back when. Perhaps it's a revision issue? My board is brand new, so maybe it's a newer rev. If there's anything you'd like me to try, or any helpful data I could give you, let me know.

O, I'm also running XP x64, not Vista, so that could be the difference as well.

Edited: 12/07/2007 at 07:09 PM by tymaoaretae
 12/07/2007 07:40 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

kazgirl,

you don't have an AM2+ board? no wonder you're having problems. this makes me reconsider Phenom as my next possible build because I will get an AM2+ board for it anyways
 12/08/2007 12:30 AM

Author Icon
MU_Engineer
Dr. Mu

There is not a Linux program out at the moment that is similar to AMD's Overdrive for Windows utility. We Linux users have to OC the old-fashioned way, through the BIOS.

HOWEVER, you can adjust your Cool 'n Quiet voltages from within the OS by using cpupw and loading the "msr" module beforehand. I use this to undervolt my stock-clocked X2 4200+ to run a little cooler and quieter.

@PorscheRacer14: Linux game benchmarks are generally done by running trials of games such as Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Doom, and Quake, as well as simply doing timed trials of actual programs that are compute-intensive. And the emulation program you're talking about is WINE, which stands for WINE is Not an Emulator. (The nickname stems back from the 70s with recursive acronyms being popular with UNIX geeks.)

12/08/2007 12:53 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Ah, right...I thought it had soemthing to do with a drink. Thanks MU_Engineer!

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/09/2007 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Evax

Hey, well i recently won an AMD phenom 9600 and was wondering if there is a large difference in the performance between AM2 and AM2+ ?
 12/09/2007 01:10 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Not really, but AM2+ based boards support the new quadcores to begin with, while AM2-based boards need BIOS updates to support the new quadcores. Otherwise, theres fundamentally no differences between the two.
 12/09/2007 03:09 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

The AM2+ should power and operate the Phenom better, plus some of the AM2+ boards can use DDR2 1066 RAM and they have newer and better chipsets and power savings.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/09/2007 03:11 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

Really? Thanks for the information Porsche, I've been out of the PC building loop for a while b/c of this iMac. Hopefully will be back with an assembled quadcore in a few months tho can't wait
 12/09/2007 03:22 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Everyone is saying Feb. for a proper Phenom/Barcelona withe verything working and faster speed bins...They have to have at least a 2.8 somewhere by then or else Phenom/Barcelona will be a wash, becasue no one is going to care if it's 45nm later. AMD has already told the public not to buy into the nanometre ploy with Intel, so what's going to be their advantage and selling point?

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/09/2007 05:50 PM

Author Icon
vsingh
Voodoo Programmer

These quadcore AMDs are pretty iffy, but I have to say AMD's dual cores are beast compared to Intel's. The best quadcore out there for the money though is hands down the Core 2 Q6600.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information