Increase font size
Topic Title: Memory question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/22/2007 11:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/22/2007 11:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Merry Christmas

I am trying to get away from my Kingston Value ram, (3,3,3,8, @ 1T) I would like to know if this would actually work in my system, his ad says it is for servers only and will not work in desktops.
As far as I know if the board will accept ECC memory then it should work in the system, am I right?
This is as much as I know about the ram

Crucial 1GB PC3200 400MHz DDR ECC REG Memory

# 1GB 128X72 Chip Configuration, This is a Single 1GB Stick!
# True PC3200 400MHz (Compatible with PC2700 Servers)
# Backward compatible with PC2700 Servers
# 184 Pin, Gold Leads
# 2.6V, 7.5 ns
# CAS LATENCY, (CL 3)
# ECC (Error Correction), REGISTERED Memory
# 128x72 Low Density Chips, Major Brand Name
# This is a Server Memory! This will not work with Regular PC's, only Servers!
# Great Quality and Performance
# Brand New, Never Used, Fully Tested to Work, LIFE TIME WARRANTY
# Memory is the best way to increase Server Speed!!

Or this piece

G.SKILL F1-3200PHU1-1GBNT PC3200 1GB 1X1GB DDR400 CL3-4-4-8 184PIN DIMM
Capacity 1GB (1GB x 1)
Speed 400MHz DDR (PC3200)
CAS Latency 3-4-4-8 (PC3200)
Test Voltage 2.6~2.75 Volts
PCB 6 Layers PCB
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
Type 184-pin DIMM
Warranty Lifetime

Would I be getting any performance increase with either of these pieces?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

My board is an DFI Ultra D board

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide

Edited: 12/23/2007 at 01:23 AM by geezer_wheelz
 12/24/2007 01:49 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

Compared to regular, Unbuffered Memory Modules, Buffered with ECC is quite expensive and completely not worth it with the exeption that you really got a server that must be on Full Load during prolonged amounts of time (Several days in a row for example). Besides, they aren't faster, they are usually slower as Buffered Memory Modules takes an additional Hz each time that it is going to send data, overclocks much less, and let alone that potentially much more expensive.

Most Desktop Motherboards got little to no support for neither of those features (Buffered and ECC, they usually got together though you can find Buffered without ECC or Unbuffered ECC). I think that some users tested using them in a Desktop Motherboard with sucess, but doing this is not common enough for giving you any average results. However, as the Integrated Memory Controller for Athlons 64 is the same than for a comparable Opteron, the features are supported by the Memory Controller, but you also need to be sure if BIOS likes them at the least for booting the machine. ECC requieres BIOS support to work, and if you don't, even if the Memory Modules worked, then there is no point at it becuase you wouldn't use the feature. Not sure about Buffered Memory Modules, I think that those doesn't need a BIOS specifically for it in order to take "Advantage" of that extra added Hz for sending data, though that makes it more stable compared to Unbuffered ones.
 12/24/2007 05:04 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Well that answers that!!

The guy only wants $60.00 but I am sick of buying memory that is not going to work in my machine for sure.
From what you just told me I do not want to take the risk again.
I bought some Mushkin Enhanced ram, I tried it in my LanParty Ultra D, Asus A8N-E, Asus A7V8X, Asus A8V-VM SE, would not work in any of those.
The only thing I could get it to work in is an old Elite Computer Systems K7S7 with an AMD 2500, the board has 64mb of onboard video and not even an AGP slot. Hardly worth putting performance ram into it!
I am now looking at some CORSAIR 1GB (512x2mb) DDR 400 PC3200 model number CMX512-3200C2PT with any luck I will be able to get that at a decent price

Thanks again zir_blazer

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide

Edited: 12/24/2007 at 05:06 AM by geezer_wheelz
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information