AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: ATI SMBus driver issue with Windows XP 64. Can anyone help?
Topic Summary: Can not install drivers for ATI SMBus
Created On: 03/17/2008 04:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/17/2008 04:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Varacolaci

Can anyone help me figure out how to install drivers for my ATI SMBus on my system with Windows XP 64? I have tried deleting it and reinstalling it. When I do it tells me that the drivers have successfuly installed but once I reboot, device manager says that no drivers are installed. When I try to update or install the drivers I get a messsage that I am not allowed to install them (yes I am in the administrator login). I have tried 3 different versions of AMD chipset drivers and nothing works. If you can help, please do.

My system has:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
4094MB DDR2 PC800
MSI K9A2 Platinum Motherboard
ATI HD 3870 PCIE Video Card
2 WD 250gb SATA2 HD in Raid 0 with integrated Promis T3 chipset (not on AMD raid set since the drivers are unstable and cause blue screens in xp 32 and 64)

Edited: 03/17/2008 at 04:50 PM by Varacolaci
 03/19/2008 02:49 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Does the SM-Bus appear with exclamation mark in device manager ?

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 03/19/2008 07:21 AM

Author Icon
Varacolaci

Yes there is an exclamation mark and when I try to update, uninstall and then install or even just reinstall it says 'The was a problem installing this hardware. An error occured during the installation of the device. Access is denied.'
 03/19/2008 08:47 AM

Author Icon
steve777

This is probably irrelevant, but I've had this happen to me while downloading from a CD on various applications. Are you running an Anti-Virus program at the same time? If so, shut it down. I've found at times it will prevent certain installations from occurring.

Just my 2 cents...

-------------------------
Phenom 1090 Thuban
WD HDs 300 Gig and 1 Tera
Gigabyte 880GA-UD3H MB
Patriot Extreme 8 Gig Ram
Thermaltake 750 Watt PS
 03/25/2008 09:00 PM

Author Icon
spydercanopus

I have a similar problem. Using the same motherboard and the phenom 9600 I installed xp professional x64 and all was smooth. Then when I was trying to install drivers my build starting acting very strange. It would lock up when trying to read a disc. I tested the ram and it was ok. (using pc2-8500) Finally I ran a completel diagnostic test and it turns out the SMbus was having failures. It was detected and what not, but during operations it would fail.

My point is that you probably have a new motherboard. I'll try to update you after I get a replacement board as to wether or not it fixed my problem.

My prediction is there is a flaw in this MSI K9A2 series board. I predict it will continue going out on a regular basis. Companies just don't test their products to their claimed operating limits anymore.
 03/25/2008 09:40 PM

Author Icon
Varacolaci

I do have the new MSI K9A2 Platinum 790fx chipset motherboard. I found some drivers that succesfully installed in Windows XP 64. I am not having any issues now, that I can tell. If you are interested, you can download these ATI SM Bus drivers from HERE.

Edited: 03/25/2008 at 09:47 PM by Varacolaci
 04/24/2008 09:35 PM

Author Icon
rcbrick

Hi all,

I just wanted to relay this bit of information: I had a similar issue where the ATI SM Bus showed no drivers installed (yellow exclamation point.) Any attempt to update the drivers resulted in "Access Denied." In spite of being logged in with an admin equivalent ID, I was not able to install the correct drivers. I was able to install the drivers by re-running the setup.exe using "run as" and choosing the actual Administrator ID.

Assuming you're using an ATI video card, the default location is C:\ATI\SUPPORT\8-4_xp64_dd_ccc_enu_61003\SBDrv\Setup.exe

Otherwise try using "run as" Administrator with the setup program for south bridge driver for your motherboard.

Hope that helps some folks!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information