Increase font size
Topic Title: Chipset question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/30/2008 11:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/30/2008 11:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stormmerlin

I could not think of where this thread should be. I am trying to find out exactly what chipset my board actuall has since there are conflicting pieces of information.
The physical stamp on it reads ..

AMD
CHIPSET
215RVA6BVA11FG
KYC45
0802SSP

That is as it appears on the chip. The chip looks just like an old style XP processor in miniature.

Just a side note. AMD driver pack would not install giving me the following message
" setup failed to find any AMD components required for this installation". The chipset is supposed to be 740G but the drivers listed as 7 series chipset drivers will not install giving a simular message as Driver pack gave.

Any ideas or anyone can ID this chip possitively??
 03/30/2008 01:18 PM

Author Icon
kazgirl
Elite

Whats your mobo make and model no. that would be the easiest way...!!

You could also try running CPU-Z - google and download it, run it, click on the mainboard tab, and it should tell you the chipset.....

Hope it helps

Kaz

-------------------------

3DMark06 = 20717 / 3DMark Vantage = P13618 / My Overclock Guide / My Troubleshooting Guide
 03/30/2008 01:19 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Welcome to the forum

It would probably help more if you listed the model of your motherboard then it would be easier to chase down the model of chipset

Edit

You were 1 minute faster than me Kaz!!!

Great minds . . .

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide

Edited: 03/30/2008 at 01:33 PM by geezer_wheelz
 03/30/2008 01:36 PM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

The part number is GIGABYTE GA-MA74GM-S2H. It is supposed to have the new AMD 740G chipset. Everest ultimate and CPU-Z both say its an RS690 chipset.

The BIOS version data says its " RS740 BIOS for GA-MA74GM-S2H F1". The Chipset driver pack listed on GIGABYTE's site for this board are the drivers for the AMD 7 series Chipset but when I try to install them it tells me it cannot find any 7 series chipset . What I really need here is someone who can tell me what the actual stamp on the chip identifies it as since software and manufactorers spec sheets are not agreeing on what it is. I have e-mailed GIGABYTE and their response was less than satisfactory. I thought perhaps a moderator or cummunity member here might have access to what the stamp means.
 04/01/2008 06:23 PM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

So no one on the AMD processor forum pages has any idea which chipset this is??
 04/01/2008 06:34 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

NB = AMD 740G

SB = I believe is the SB700

[edit] Yeap: http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Pro...ductName=GA-MA74GM-S2H

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 04/01/2008 at 06:36 PM by Immortal Lobster
 04/01/2008 10:16 PM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

no offense intended here lobster but you really must think I am a complete moron to post a link to the GIGABYTE specs page. What I wanted was verification thru the stamp on the chip as to what it is. I know what GIGABYTE says it is,the problem is that the chipset drivers published by AMD and all the utilities also published by AMD are telling me that my board does not have an AMD 7 series chipset. The 740G is a 7 series so I was hoping to find an explanation about it here. Even if that explanation is " AMD drivers are wrong and don't ID the 740G correctly but the stamp is in fact a 740G".
 04/01/2008 11:36 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

no offense taken, and no, sometimes people ask questions around here without a simple google search.

so, I made that assumption,

the other option was a chinese page.

that the chip? if so, it's a 740G.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=http://8d.pcxun.com/40106/55940.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D215RVA6BVA11FG%2B%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*

which utilities are we talking about? there aren't any CPU drivers for it, and the chip drivers should load automatically if you have Vista, XP, I would think you'd use the ones on the CD. if those aren't working have you tried the latest from AMD's download site?

Also, I'm curious, did you go through all the trouble of removing the heat sink and voiding your warranty just to make sue you had the right chipset on board, because no offense intended, that's a pretty stupid thing to do without verifying the problem direct with gigabyte first.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 04/01/2008 at 11:37 PM by Immortal Lobster
 04/02/2008 12:02 AM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

I installed it all just fine with the disk that came with the board. I also got a 5000+ black and had planned to OC.
Needing to get fairly accurate temps off the board for core I tried to install Core temp first and then Speed Fan.
Both seemed to be running fine until I ran prime 95 to tax the OC for stability testing and my load temps were staying
lower than a non oced CPU on water with the same abient temp as I have.

I figured that those utilities just didn't have
updates for the 740G chipset yet so I went to AMD's site to look for a utility to monitor temps. I thought " its an AMD
chipset so an AMD utility should work. Downloaded AMD Overdrive from AMD's site and tried to install it and the installer
said it could not install becasue it did not find an AMD 7 series chipset. I went to GIGAs site to try to re-install the chipset
drivers thinking that perhaps a had a dirty install off the disk. The drivers also told me I did not have a 7 series chipset.
Next I downloaded another AMD utility ( can't remember the name) that was supposed to scan my hardware and software for
AMD diveces and link me to the drivers I needed. That utility could not install either telling me I had no AMD components at all
on my PC.

The last thing that made me think I had something other than a 740G was the fact that both CPU-Z and Everest are telling
me its a RS690 and I read something that said basically there is no 740G that basically the 740 is a 690 Northbridge paired
with a SB700 southbridge. Usually the 690 has a SB 600 southbridge. At that time I thought that perhaps someone,
AMD or GIGABYTE , had descided to make a MOBO that had the RS690 Northbridge and the SB700 Southbridge and name
that combo the 740G So I set out to find out if in fact the stamp on my chipset really belonged to an RS690 chipset. I saw a
picture of the RS 690 and it had 690 stamped on it where mine says only "chipset".

I do realize that is is possible and even likely that CPU-Z does not know the " signature" of the 740G yet and reads it as close
enought to the RS690 to be that. I just thought a little sluething couldn't hurt. The point is now mute other than I really want to know
since I am RMAing this board in favor of the 780G chipset
 04/02/2008 10:46 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

SImply put, AMD Overdrive is broken, I finally got support in the last revision for the AMD 770 chipset, lol. Give it a few more revisions before using OD, and CPU-Z still says I have an ATi chipset and just has a string of numbers next to it.

with these, still fairly new chipsets, we need to permit the industry some time to write the applications for monitoring them more accurately.

in the RMA process, don't be surprised if they ask about the removal of the heat sink,

EPoX was very picky about that with me, I had requested a new chipset fan a while back, they sent me the whole new heat sink assembly with instructions on replacement. when the board died a year later,during the RMA, they called me up and asked why the heat sink had been removed, I'm glad I kept those emails with regards to the fan. lol.

Edited: 04/02/2008 at 10:48 AM by Immortal Lobster
 04/02/2008 06:11 PM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

I appreciate the feedback. I never thought it to be more likely that 4 different softwares would be wrong rather than the 740 Chipset being bad in some way but anything is possible. I had other issues with the board specs as well that was also part of the reason to RMA. I am not RMAing on the basis of the chipset problem so I hope they will not make an issue of it since I have not. THe specs say it is PCI-E 2.0 which it is not.
 04/02/2008 06:19 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

And how do you know that? lol

04/02/2008 06:49 PM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

And how do you know that? lol

Very funny Lobster....I e-mailed GIGABYTE and asked them why GPU-Z only said PCI-E x 16 with no mention of 2.0 and they responded saying that the SOCKET itself is 2.0 " compliant" meaning you CAN put a 2.0 video card in the socket but you will not get the 2.0 bandwidth.
They appologized for the confusion. New Egg also had it listed as PCI-E 2.0 and they are considerable more customer oriented than the guy at GIGAGYTE so they are RMAing it for me with no restocking fee and a $20 discount off the 780G as a courtesy for the bad info.
 04/02/2008 07:00 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

In the word's of Kaylee, "That don't make no sense!"

The only difference between PCIe1.1 and 2.0 is bandwidth and power, if it's PCIe 2.0 compliant then it should have both the bandwidth and power. since 1.1 card's don't require the power then it must not be that.

Now, you sure it's just not a misunderstanding on those terms?

don't get me wrong, it's great that they're permitting you to RMA the board, but I think there's some flawed logic around here somewhere, lol.

04/03/2008 09:51 PM

Author Icon
stormmerlin

I agree with you 100%. I even asked the Gigabyte guy to name me one MOBO that had a PCI-E 1.1 slot that would not accept a 2.0 card. I told him what you said ..the only difference between 1.1 and 2.0 is bandwidth. The botom line is they missrepresented the boards features and didn't want to fess up to it in an e-mail that could be used as proof. New Egg rocks as always, they apologized for the mess up and made it right for me. This is the first Gigabyte board I have ever bought but I am a little disappointed in their response.
 04/05/2008 06:20 AM

Author Icon
cryogenic

I get that all the time unfortunately.
 04/10/2008 08:36 PM

Author Icon
SpeedracerM

dude I would stick to DFI or ASUS. And if you're not using an ATI graphics card then screw AMD chipsets all together.The 780's and 790's are great but are featureless other than a chipset and a couple slots for PCIe2.0 which isn't all that usefull as most all cards made 2.0 ready are not yet capable of using full 2.0 Bandwidth anyway. Go with the M@N32 boards with the nforce590 chipset. you'll be pleasantly surprised. And you'll have a gob of features not on any 7series chipset.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information