Increase font size
Topic Title: System Recommendations.
Topic Summary: Phenom system.
Created On: 04/07/2008 02:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/07/2008 02:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
83GMCK2500

First off I apologize if I'm putting this in the wrong section, I haven't been around here lately, and I see it has gotten a bit of a face lift.

I would like to build a Phenom system with the 9850, unless there is some issue with the new processor and I should wait for an updated model. I am looking at the MSI K9A2 Platinum w/790FX chipset. I don't need the 4 PCI-X by any means, but I don't see any other option for that CPU. I would like to start with 2x 1GB, preferably DDR2-1066, but have no idea which ones. I would like one video card. I don't game very much anymore, a little Rome here & there, some Halo 2, but I'm looking at Call of Duty 4. I'm looking at a HD 3850 or HD 3870 board, any recommendations? I think my PS is adequate, it is in the neighborhood of 950Watts, and has a 24 pin ATX connector, it had the 4 removable pins on one end, for my current board they are removed. It also has the additional 4-pin cpu connector (2x black, 2x yellow, IIRC).

I just want to build something very fast, very solid, and very reliable. I'm not going to overclock it. I'll be moving up to Vista Ultimate, do I need 4GB of RAM, or will 2GB be fine? Can I run the DDR2-1066, or does it need to be DDR2-800? How much RAM will Vista recognize?

I would like any opinions on the hardware I have picked out (9850 on K9A2 Platinum), and recommendations for the stuff up in the air: RAM & Video. Do I need/should I have aftermarket cooling on the Phenom?
 04/07/2008 02:30 AM

Author Icon
cryogenic

There was no problems with anything below 9600 and there are no problems with anything above it except xx00 revisions.
 04/09/2008 03:33 PM

Author Icon
KamuiRSX

Nice processor. Nice board. I would go with the brands G. Skill, GEIL, OCZ, and Kingston Hyper X for your memory. Preferrably any of the first three because they for sure will be using Micron D9 ships and so you can OC the ***** out of them. Well...if you want to stick with ATI, go with any of the HD 3870's. I would recommend replacing the stock cooler so I would do some research and find out what Brands will let you do this without invalidating your warranty.

You don't need 4GB's of RAM but having 4GB's of RAM is never a bad thing. Yes you will need Aftermarket cooling because the 9850 BE doesn't come with a stock cooler . I recommend either a Zalman CNPS9700, Thermaltake Max Orb, or the Thermalright Ultra 120 but you'll have to buy a fan to go on the Thermalright one. Those listed are quiet and will keep it nice and cool.

-------------------------
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to see if I'm really alive."
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information