Increase font size
Topic Title: Sata cables
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/18/2008 11:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/18/2008 11:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
magdary
Case Modder

Is there any point in upgrading my sata cables from the ones that came with my mobo. They state sata 150 on them and im running sata 300 drives but i have been reading in wikipedia that the 150 labeled cables dont lose any speed when being used at 3gb/s

I did find a review on some akasa sata cables that improved transmision by 2ms.

Just wondering if its worth it even if its just for the better shielding on the ones im looking at.
 05/18/2008 01:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Heffy
Case Modder

Unless you're experiencing some problems with the ones you have now... No. Those transfer speeds are very theoretical, anyway. There is not a single drive that'll ever reach its maximum transfer rate. Until now, at least. That's mainly because of the limitations of the hard-drive technology itself. There are quite a lot of factors involved, the most important ones being the RPM speed and the head's reading speed capability. I still remember my 80GB ATA133 Maxtor being slower than than my good 'ole 16GB ATA66 Seagate...

Maybe that's going to change with the coming of the solid-state drives and flash HDDs (to spare the weak of heart, I won't mention their average prices). Or at least, let's hope...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information