Topic Title: CPU Fan Cable Has 4 Pin Plug But MoBo Has 3 Pin Connector
Topic Summary: Need Fix or Work Around
Created On: 10/30/2008 05:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/30/2008 05:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Hello.

I have the retail AMD Optron 185 (939) with the stock heat sink & fan.
The cooling fan has the small female 4 pin plug on the end that would normally plug into the CPU fan connection on the MoBo.

Wires on the fan cable are Black / Red / Blue / Yellow.

Probelm is my ABIT AV8 MoBo only has a three prong CPU fan connection.
Also, I can not simlpy move the plug to the right, and in effect not connect the Yellow, wire as there is a MoBo component direcrlty to the right of the connection.

I have searched and searched the web but can not find a converter or adapter.
Best I can find is a fan extension cable w/ 3 pin male & 3 pin female to connect to the MoBO but what about the Yellow wire for fan speed?

I did not want to replace the fan as the CPU and Heat Sink are already seated.

Please ...any suggestions or work arounds would be very helpful here. It seems like such a small road block on this build.

Thanks in advance

JMD

Edited: 10/30/2008 at 05:47 AM by JMD FLA
 10/30/2008 07:20 AM

Author Icon
Orn
Titanic Jelly Hammer

I think the yellow wire is for fan speed management for CnQ, I dont think it'd be a problem by connecting to the three pins of the mobo, have you tried it?
 10/30/2008 08:28 AM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Originally posted by: Orn

I think the yellow wire is for fan speed management for CnQ, I dont think it'd be a problem by connecting to the three pins of the mobo, have you tried it?

Orn,

I will try that when my 3 pin male / 3 pin female extension cable I ordered arrives in the mail. There were none of those buggers available locally.
Currently my 4 pin female plug will not fit over the 3 pin male of the MoBo due to the fact that there is a component directly to the right of the connection.

Would a cable such as this possibly work to provide power and the fan monitoring functions?

http://www.pctoys.com/840556028949.html

Thanks in advance

JMD

Edited: 10/30/2008 at 10:56 AM by JMD FLA
 10/30/2008 11:06 AM

Author Icon
Java
Elite

You need the Red/Black wires connected...rest is for PWM fan control.

You won't necessarily get fan control out of it, but it will spin full speed and keep the system cool.

-------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
 10/30/2008 11:33 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

4 pin is just for PWM control, the plug itself will still be keyed for a 3 pin connection, you'll just have an overlapped wire without a plug, no big deal really.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 10/30/2008 01:00 PM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Originally posted by: Immortal Lobster

4 pin is just for PWM control, the plug itself will still be keyed for a 3 pin connection, you'll just have an overlapped wire without a plug, no big deal really.

Yes understood, but hard to explain why I can't.

To connect the 4 pin female end of the cable coming from the fan to the 3 prongs of the male connection on the motherboard I need to shift the female plug over to the right so I am connecting at least the Red & Black.

This would mean that the Black / Red / Yellow on the female plug would be connected to the 3 prong male connection on the MoBo leaving the blue wire, to the far right on the female plug, over hanging.

I can not do this since there is a MoBo component directly to the right of the MoBo three prong male connection with not a bit of room to spare.

Best

JMD
 10/30/2008 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

ah hah. you're getting an extension though? right?

10/30/2008 02:11 PM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

ah hah. you're getting an extension though? right?

Yes, the extension is a 3 pin male and 3 pin female so the female end will fit nicely over the 3 prong male on the motherboard.

These is another cable which supplies power to the fan via a Molex power cable pass through and uses a single yellow wire to go to the MoBo via a 3 pin female to help with monitoring the fan RPM.

Please see here http://www.pctoys.com/840556028949.html

Might this work?

Thanks in advance

JMD
 10/30/2008 02:32 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Link redirected, but I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about, and while it will work, you'll lose the ability for the bios to throttle the fan for temperature and silence, I find silence important, if you don't thats a fine way to go.

10/30/2008 02:41 PM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Link redirected, but I'm pretty sure I know what you are talking about, and while it will work, you'll lose the ability for the bios to throttle the fan for temperature and silence, I find silence important, if you don't thats a fine way to go.

Thank you very much for your input. I think I will go with the 3 Pin / 3 prong extension cable and leave the blue wire un connected.

Thank you again.

Best

JMD
 10/30/2008 02:47 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

no problem, hope all goes well with the new fan.

11/01/2008 03:28 AM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Just a short note to ay the system is up and running behind me and humming like a cat.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

I'm off to install an OS on my new and my first hand built PC.

best

JMD
 11/01/2008 04:06 PM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

OYI!

I spoke too soon. My Av8 ABIT motherboard is not seeing my:
VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb.

The Abit mother board says it handes SATS 1.5 gb/s but the VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS is 3.0 Gb/s. Could this be the cause?

Don't telll me that after all my reading I missed the HD transfer rates??

Any help would be great.

Best

JMD
 11/01/2008 05:28 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Usually I'd expect a drive to dumb down the transfer rate to match the board, but being a western digital product, you never know

But seriously, the drive should be nothing more than limited by the motherboard. if it's not seeing it at all, try the drive on a different board, make sure all is well with the drive, if so, than make sure all the bios settings are correct, past that, I unfortunatly do not have an answer for you my friend.

11/01/2008 06:53 PM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Well the good news is, sort of, it seems to be the drive.

I also had a 150 G Raptor X SATA/1.5 HD from about a year ago still new in the box.
This drive is being seen and detected at post.

So there you have it.

Let me ask you a though. If my mother board only handles Sata/150 would I have gained any real speed at all from the first VelociRaptor 300GB Internal SATA Hard Drive w/ Sata/3.0?

I understood that the Sata/3.0 handle information requests more efficiently than Sata/1.5 but would my MoBo Sata/1.5 controller limit that anyway?

Thanks again

JMD

Drilling down a little too far
 11/01/2008 10:26 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Probably, the velociraptor IIRC has a smaller platter size, so it can still read information quicker, but thats all moot really if the mobo can only read at 1.5.

11/02/2008 08:28 AM

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

If the harddrive isn't detected it can also be a faulty cable.

That has happened me at least twice. Brand new cables out of the box and they didn't work, so try with another cable, first of all try with one you know are working.

Main Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower : Corsair 750HX Modular PSU : Asus Crosshair III Formula : Phenom II X4 965 125W
Corsair H-50 CPU Cooler : Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T 2x2GB : WD Caviar Black 32MB 640GB : Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
HTPC:
Antec Fusion Remote Black : ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO : Athlon II X2 240e : Crucial BallistiX 1600 2GB x2
Corsair 400W : Sapphire Radeon HD6850 : Lite-On iHBS112 BD-Burner : WD Caviar Green 500 GB
 11/02/2008 10:58 AM

Author Icon
JMD FLA

Thanks for the reply but it did end up being the actual drive.
This is my first DOA of any PC component in ages so it was the last thing I thought of. I will say that some of the SATA cables, both power and data, going around are poorly built.

Speaking of power and data cables: Does anyone build custom lengths?
Best, and thannks again for everyones help.

JMD
 11/02/2008 11:02 AM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

I've lost a lot of faith recently in WDC, used to be my favorite HDD manufacturer, a few years ago I got a few DOAs, had a couple of deaths, so I investigated Hitachi, that was probably a mistake, so I went over to the dark side of Seagate, I havn't looked back since, I'm in love. =) (point is, you can make a seagate raid setup that's a lot cheaper than a single velociraptor with a lot more space)

And what do you mean custom length? Newegg sells a variety of lengths for SATA cables...

11/03/2008 04:26 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Red, black --> FAN power.
Yellow --> RPM monitoring
Blue --> useless (or FAN speed control)

As for SATAs...what lenght do you need ?
Some eSATA cables come @ 1.8 meters...

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information