Topic Title: Athlon 64 X2 5050e 2.6 GHZ or Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/21/2008 01:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/21/2008 01:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sixzero

Hi there:

First post on the forum. Need some hints.

I am interested by the 5050e mainly because it is a 45 W, The problem is I cannot find very little info on it and I wonder how good of a cpu it is or if it is prone to problem.
My computer use is rather simple, consisting on web surfing and typical office applications (word processing, powerpoint), video watching, i-tune, and some dvd ripping once in a while. The 45W should be cooler, thus less fan needed and less noise which is a nice feature.
If the 5050e has some issues, then I'll go with a 65W such as the 5200.

Any comment would be appreciated. Suggestion for mobo would be welcome as well, right now, biostars look appealing (although no personal experience). Other brands would work as well

Thanks
 12/21/2008 03:07 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

Yes if possible go for the x2 5050e and maybe later you can learn how to undervolt it I would actually recommend the Biostar TF8200 seeing it has a Deneb/Heka BIOS and is the cheapest AM2+ i can think of that has default 125W TDP quadcore support unlike some 780G/GF8xxx AM2+ which would have max 95W TDP quad support. This puts it in good stead for Deneb as AMD reported these chips are 125W TDP max with Heka in the 95W catagory - hope i helped ^^ Also look at how these jokers managed to get the discrete powered down when used with an Nvidia GPU. IIRC Hybrid Power works with GF9800, 9800gtx and GTX2xx series hehe
http://translate.google.com.sg...1SG303%26sa%3DG

-------------------------

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 12/21/2008 10:15 AM

Author Icon
sixzero

yes, you helped me. I am not thinking of going quad but we never know and you bring up some good points, so thanks.
Now, concerning the article, I don't get it!

I am still wondering about the quality of the 5050e (not much finding on it) when the 5200 and other 65w have been around for a while and it is a safer choice. Any thoughts?
 12/23/2008 07:06 AM

Author Icon
sixzero

Hi,

That Biostar TF8200 looks so nice and so tempting! It probably is too much for me as I think I won't upgrade to a quad for many many years. My computer usage would not benefit from a quad. Batuchka (and others), is there another Biostar that you would suggest?
Jetway, ECS kind of scare me (reliable enough?), for Asus and gigabyte, I wondder if we don't have to pay more because of the name (wright, wrong?)... Biostar prices seem more reasonable and I have read good stuff about that brand...

But I am open to any suggestion.

Thanks
 12/23/2008 02:55 PM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

Well the point of the article is the hybrid power feature managed to completely power down the 9800GTX GPU and revert to the integrated video - very useful when a user is not gaming but merely doing net/office applications. No need for a power guzzler on those occasions hehe

Hmm ok are you planning to stick to the integrated video and not planning to install a discrete GPU? If so have a look at Biostar TA790GX XE - its priced the same as some 780Gs!

Well u never know about your future computing needs and if those AM3 Propus/Rana chips are good performers for the green its a nice upgrade option for users such as yourself ^^

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 12/24/2008 01:01 AM

Author Icon
sixzero

TheTA790GX is also very attractive but I need to save a few box. Ideally, below $80 would be great. Anything out there you can think of (biostar first or other)?

You are right about what the future computing needs, you never know. But should I need something "better" in the future, I am thinking it will be a new computer and this one would become a secondary one.

Batuchka, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
 12/24/2008 06:59 AM

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

You're not gonna find a 790GX motherboard below 80. I just checked newegg and the chepest is the one from MSI for 88.50. Don't know about other places, I'm not in that part of the world so newegg is the only one I know of.

I would recommend the one from Asrock though, it's gotten some very good reviews and it's been used to OC a Phenom II to 4GHz.

Main Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower : Corsair 750HX Modular PSU : Asus Crosshair III Formula : Phenom II X4 965 125W
Corsair H-50 CPU Cooler : Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T 2x2GB : WD Caviar Black 32MB 640GB : Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
HTPC:
Antec Fusion Remote Black : ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO : Athlon II X2 240e : Crucial BallistiX 1600 2GB x2
Corsair 400W : Sapphire Radeon HD6850 : Lite-On iHBS112 BD-Burner : WD Caviar Green 500 GB
 12/24/2008 02:45 PM

Author Icon
pope_disco-godfather

okay....i actually just did a build for a friend with the 5050e, and i can tell you that i'd heartily recommend it for the applications you specified! i'm guessing you're not needing/planning to overclock, so the 790gx is gonna be overkill for you. you'll be fine with just about any 780g board. the foxconn a7gm-s is only 66.99 w/ free shipping, and i'm typing this on a machine powered by it (i have old blacke 5000+, though. you'll get better power consumption than i)...

really....you're not making the movies on your PC, you're just watching them. you won't even need a video card...onboard video will be fine for you. you have the option to add one video card later, should you wish...but i'm telling you, it won't be necessary for office, dvd/br playback, youtube, or anything internet...
well...okay, if you have it hooked up to a 28" or larger monitor, you'll want a video card. but if your monitor is that big, you spent 4 times the amount that this board/cpu will cost you on your monitor!!

should you choose to dabble in overclocking, this board is pretty stout for being budget. expect to be able to push it to 3ghz for sure, and possibly up to 3.2...again though, not really necessary for what you use your PC for....

biostar, i haven't owned since the k7 days...it was alright for what it was. i cannot comment on their implementation of newer techs, except to say that my k7 biostar's sata 1.5 ports never did work...

i hope this helps!
-d

sure, i've built an intel systemor two....when the parts all came for free!
the blues have never gotten my cash, and never will!!!
 12/26/2008 01:36 AM

Author Icon
sixzero

pope_, your are probably right on target with your comments and when I mentioned that the Biostar TF8200 was too much for me, I meant too much features, not price (altough, I am all for saving a few box); basically, same as what you are saying.
I did not consider foxconn before. I did a quick google search about the company...very impressive. Concerning the board you suggested, it has good reviews on newegg and price is appealing.. but it is a micro and I am always afraid that there might not be enough room on a micro board. I guess this is what happens when you have experienced full size ATX only and never used micro ones... may have to reconsider my thinking.

Thanks all for your comments. I have not yet settled on a mobo but your inputs are valuable and will help me with the final decision.
 12/26/2008 05:26 PM

Author Icon
sixzero

After spending some time researching mobos, I am narrowed the selection to the following ones (some micros some full atx)

Foxconn:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813186141

ASRock:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813157139
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813157127

Gigabyte:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813128360

Biostar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813138113
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16813138105

I would appreciate one more time your recommendations about the above. Unless there is a significant cost saving, I do not really want to look at other options.
Customer service and online support is an important factor for me.

Thank you
 12/28/2008 07:36 PM

Author Icon
pope_disco-godfather

as far as the biostar with nvidia chipset, i'd avoid it. but thats just me preferring amd chipsets.
that gigabyte board is pretty sweet! and my foxy-conn is out of stock right now...still a durn fine value though...
you mentioned not considering micro atx...they've come a long way, really. with most everything being onboard, you really don't often need more pci slots.
again, just my 2 cents...

12/28/2008 09:24 PM

Author Icon
sixzero

Godfather and all others on the forum,

I have been looking for some suggestions and comments and you have been nice enough to take some times to help me out through the selection process. I understand that everyone may have different opinions, needs and preferences but this is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks.

I think all the boards I pre-selected would probably serve me well assuming there is no deffect with them.
Thanks to hours doing research on the web and feedback from folks like you, I am down to 2 boards:

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP
ASRock A780GXE/128M

Why am I still hesitating?

Reviews/awards
I have read excellent reviews for the Asrock board
I have read very good reviews for the Gigabyte board
Winner: Asrock

website for online support and downloads
AsRock website is odd
Gigabyte website is great
Winner: Gigabyte

onboard video
Asrock has 128 MB side port memory
Gigabyte has none
winner: none I was unable to come up to some conclusion on this topic. BTW, I am not a gamer and anyhow if I was, I guess a videocard would be in order. Still , I do not know. FYI, I will get 4GB of ram.

format
Asrock if full size
Gigabyte is micro
winner: none. A week ago, this would have been a deciding factor but has you pointed out and as I have found out through readings, it really is not an issue

I would say that the side port is the issue that is holding up my decision. If not important, then I go with Gigabyte because of the website, if important, then I go with the Asrock.

If anyone feel strongly about this, please let me know, I would really appreciate it.
 12/29/2008 07:37 AM

Author Icon
Kab

Originally posted by: sixzero

I would say that the side port is the issue that is holding up my decision. If not important, then I go with Gigabyte because of the website, if important, then I go with the Asrock.

If anyone feel strongly about this, please let me know, I would really appreciate it.

They are both pretty equal for base specifications and performance:- both of the motherboards overvolt the CPU at default but the ASRock 780G/SB700 motherboard has better reliability (USB ports behave much better), better power efficiency, more robust power section that produces less heat and better utilities. It also supports AM2/AM2+ power efficiency specification with phase switching technology that very few other motherboards support. However, on all other aspects it is usually tied with the Gigabyte.
The 128 MB SidePort is a bonus as no RAM gets used up since the SidePort can be used for Graphics memory instead of system RAM (using system RAM instead decreases performance a little).

The utilities that come with the ASRock motherboard are what really tips this deal. Specifically Smart BIOS, ASRock OC Tuner, Instant Boot, Intelligent Energy Saver, 140W CPU support and AM3 CPU support already. It takes experience of the various utilities in your setting to really distinguish on their usefulness. It's best if you read up on the options you get with the motherboard at the official website.
 12/29/2008 09:48 AM

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

I really don't know how you're judging by website. Are you refering to online support I have to give you credit, Gigabyte is better at responding than Asrock.. though, they never gave me any help when I wrote them.. but they did respond.

Are you refering to downloads? Asrock is as good here if not better. Asrock is definately better at releasing BIOS updates than Gigabyte in my experience. I also think the utilities that Asrock offer are better. GB didn't have much to offer at all really.

As for how the websites work they're more or less the same, just different layouts, and that is in my view a plain silly thing to judge a product by.

Main Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower : Corsair 750HX Modular PSU : Asus Crosshair III Formula : Phenom II X4 965 125W
Corsair H-50 CPU Cooler : Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20-1T 2x2GB : WD Caviar Black 32MB 640GB : Sapphire HD5870 Vapor-X
HTPC:
Antec Fusion Remote Black : ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO : Athlon II X2 240e : Crucial BallistiX 1600 2GB x2
Corsair 400W : Sapphire Radeon HD6850 : Lite-On iHBS112 BD-Burner : WD Caviar Green 500 GB
 12/29/2008 05:59 PM

Author Icon
pope_disco-godfather

i'm gonna jump on the asrock bandwagon with my friends here, simply because they are much, much better about bios updates and i agree also that the bundled utilities really do offer a greater value than the gigabyte board. plus, i've heard the occasional rumbling about the giga's memory slot placement being too close together, causing thicker ram heatsinks to rub against eachother....not an issue if you get nekkid ram, but if you have some hefty heatsinks on your ram, it could be trouble...

yeah....i think the asrock is your new mama!!
now, quit farting around here, and get thee to thine newegg!!! you've a new PC to build!!!

12/30/2008 08:57 AM

Author Icon
sixzero

Originally posted by: Kab

the ASRock 780G/SB700 motherboard has better reliability (USB ports behave much better), better power efficiency, more robust power section that produces less heat

Those are important points as I am trying get a "greener" system (less power consumption, less noise)

better utilities

The utilities that come with the ASRock motherboard are what really tips this deal. Specifically Smart BIOS, ASRock OC Tuner, Instant Boot, Intelligent Energy Saver, 140W CPU support and AM3 CPU support already

I saw all of that on the ASRock website. It is hard to judge without first hand experience though. I never had a ASRock before so I'll take your words on this one

The 128 MB SidePort is a bonus as no RAM gets used up since the SidePort can be used for Graphics memory instead of system RAM (using system RAM instead decreases performance a little).

You are right but I am not convinced it is critical when you use light applications only; If you have 4GB installed (which I will do), can't you share 512 Mb without compromising efficiency (speed, power..) if your mobo does not have sideport? I would not think it matters that much. The point is that nothing I read on the subject really was conclusive

Originally posted by: Liqourice

I really don't know how you're judging by website. Are you refering to online support

By how easy it is to find information, and be presented with downloads that are pertinent to your system only, as opposed to end up with an endless list of downloads with non-descriptive explainations and you have no clue which download you have to pick.
So I just navigated to both Gigabyte andASrock websites to get a feeling.

Are you refering to downloads? Asrock is as good here if not better. Asrock is definately better at releasing BIOS updates than Gigabyte in my experience

Perfect, that is what I wanted to know

As for how the websites work they're more or less the same, just different layouts, and that is in my view a plain silly thing to judge a product by

Agree that judging a product this way would be silly.
Asking for opinions about services and downloads is one way to evaluate support you may get and visiting the website yourself is another way.
One time, a friend of mine gave me an old mobo. No info, no data, no nothing about it. I was able to finally find a manual on the web somewhere but never found a website for the manufacturer. Can't tell you more about this adventure, I don't remember the details. Anyhow, mobo was trash.

Originally posted by: pope_disco-godfather

i'm gonna jump on the asrock bandwagon with my friends here, simply because they are much, much better about bios updates and i agree also that the bundled utilities really do offer a greater value than the gigabyte board.

strike 3!

...giga's memory slot placement being too close together, causing thicker ram heatsinks to rub against eachother

probably ok with my rams but that was my point about micro and full atx board. You may argue that you could get the same problem even with a full board though

So here it is, it look likes Asrock (both board and support) has won the popular vote over the competition.

I just placed an order for the following components:
    ASRock A780GXE/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G ATX AMD Motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor Model ADH5050DOBOX
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
    Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive (bare drive)

It is a rebuilt and I will reuse other components from my previous computer (PUS, monitor,cd/dvd burner...)

Thanks to everyone for your advices. Search is over for a while(I hope).
 12/30/2008 09:03 AM

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

Never mind... I saw you had already written what I asked for....

Main Rig:
HTPC:
 12/30/2008 09:08 AM

Author Icon
pope_disco-godfather

excellent! glad to hear you've pulled the trigger!!!

though i will say, i've had micro atx boards that had better spacing for ram slots than some full atx do. my foxy-conn lets all 4 slots be filled by brando-esque ram chips (think brando when he arrived in the phillipines for apocalypse now), and the temps stay pretty breezy.

but thats all irrelevant....you've got yourself a pretty sweet machine for what you're needing, and i'd say the next time you need to upgrade, you'll be looking at fusion!
enjoy!!! (and don't be afraid to goose her a little....you can realistically goose her up to 2.8ghz without stressing your components at all, nary an extra milivolt applied anywhere. you know....just for fun!)

12/30/2008 04:59 PM

Author Icon
sixzero

Hi there, me again. I have a quick one. As I went to get my old case and PSU, I wonder if I under-estimated the power requirement for the mobo, cpu, ram, HD.
The PSU I have is 330W (I thought it was bigger, shame on me!).
Anyhow, I need to dig this out but you guys probably have a pretty good idea already if I am in trouble or not.
(FYI, the case/psu is at least 5 years old)
 12/30/2008 06:20 PM

Author Icon
Liqourice
Case Modder

Depending on how much hardware you're gonna put in that system it might be enough, even though it sounds to be a bit on the small side. PSU's are notorious to lose a bit of effect with time as well so if it's 5 years old it probably delivers even less than that.

I'd recommend you get a new one just in case.

I gather you're gonna use only the onboard graphics and sound so it's just the motherboard, cpu, memory, harddrive and dvd that you're gonna connect to it?

Main Rig:
HTPC:
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information