Increase font size
Topic Title: Good machine to be able to run win7 in Linux in virtual env
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/19/2009 05:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2009 05:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mattu

Hi,

I want to build a machine to run Linux64 OS (openSuSE 11.2) as a host OS to do all kinds of development work (one end it will be heavy c++ sw builds/tests, linux kernel , compiler builds and at other end it will be web design with mysql, java, php and adobe softwares like Flex).
I also want to install Win7 on this box (not a dual boot but in a Virtual environment in let's say VMware or Xen) to do other stuff which I can not do on linux like watching netflix, Nova shows, and play games (though I'm not hardcore gamer) etc.
I may also like to install and run another OS (dev version) like ubuntu for testing. Guest OSes won't be running all the time.

So, what kind of hardware configuration you guys suggests?
I've a old box with following reusable components ...

500 GB WD internal drive
Acer 22'' wide screen monitor
A Midsize ATX case
650W PSU
Athlon X2 4400+ (I really want to upgrade to Phenom II X4. but which one?)

Would like to upgrade to DDR3 as well.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
 11/20/2009 01:56 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

Well, virtualization requires lots of RAM and fast HDDs. I recommend you build a system with at least 4GB of RAM (that would hold fine two virtual machines inside a linux or W7) or more and a fast HDD like the WD black or Spinpoint F3. You may want to RAID 0 two of them for better performance. Keep the other one as back-up.
Now if you find the exact HDD model you have,, you could get another of that type and RAID them, but only if it's not an old model.
For the CPU, a quad core would do...almost any Phenom since it won't make a too big difference having specific models. Even the older 9550 is fine.
The memory...make sure it's 1600MHz with CL8 if you will use DDR3.

-------------------------

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 11/20/2009 07:12 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

Kick things off with a cheap quad power config aye? Remove any hardware u have on hand and reusing hehe

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 11/20/2009 12:51 PM

Author Icon
mattu

Thanks for your replies.
Batuchka, I think I'll use Phenom II X4 125W instead of Athlon, since I'd to buy a new processor anyway and little more memory as well. Everything else looks ok. I'm looking to assemble this for just under $600.

Thanks
 11/21/2009 05:39 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

You are welcomed ^^

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information