Increase font size
Topic Title: building my own desktop
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/31/2010 12:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/31/2010 12:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Subbu

Hi everyone

I am on visit to this place and wants to buy AMD Phenomm II x 3 720 B.E processor, Gigabyte motherboard GA-785GMT-USB3 along with 2x2gb dual channel RAM 1333mhz for my own build.

I need some expert's advise/suggestions for the following:

!.Whether to purchase a OEM veersion or retail version of the processor.

2.I heard the dual channel memory (1333mhz) 2x2gb with CAS Latency 7 is good for

AMD chip. Is it true ?

3. want to buy thru newegg. isit a good site?

I am retd bank staff from India and not a techie/expert. All this information computer components I learnt thru internet since 2005. I need some valid suggestions and advises. I am not inclined to play any internt games. I dint specify
/mention abt any graphic cards. integrated graphics in mobo is enough. Don't ask me why I need a high -end processor and the latest giga mobo. It's sheer interest.
that's all
awaiting for your.....

-------------------------
B.Subrahamanyam
 03/31/2010 08:40 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

Hmm not knowing what PC Case u on and hence HSF height clearance, etc and if u open to a superior latest gen chipset (890GX) but non Gigabyte:

Hardware/Prices off Newegg.com USA

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 03/31/2010 11:20 AM

Author Icon
Subbu

Thank you Batuchka for immediate help> I have a PC case NZXT Gamma with me along with some ram sticks. thanks once again.....subbu

B.Subrahamanyam
 03/31/2010 11:44 AM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

Subbu
The only differance between a OEM and retail cpu's is the retail will come with its own heatsink/fan so it will cost a little bit more.

I think you be very happy with that cpu, motherboard combo that batuchka picked out but I'm not to sure about that heatsink though. It looks like it would cover one of the DIMM slots

And newegg is a great site!! Every one here as bought some thing from there

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 03/31/2010 12:03 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Resident Crustacean

Since he's in India, I'm guessing Newegg won't do him a lot of good though

If you have access to an 890GX board, I'd get that, allows for much more headroom in the future and now. if not, I would suggest a 790GX based board. The CPU you have chosen is a great little unit, and as stated above, OEM = no fan, retail = fan. If you want an aftermarket fan, then once again, it depends on availability to you. I know Orn (from bangledesh) is constantly complaining of limited availability of much of anything there in India, so let us know what you can find, and we'll try to guide you from there.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 03/31/2010 03:15 PM

Author Icon
Subbu

Ya . Thank you one and all. I saw in newegg both OEM n Retail, the diff . is $50. I will be here for another one n half month and let me hope that there will be some change in price too. I got in mind abt corsair cpu cooler H50. But I'm n't dare enough to take the OEM version . I have a similar choices of gigabyte mobos like 785GMT-UD2H and GMT-US2H. I also like bio-star mobos.

By joining in this forum I have gained some experience n knowledge !. Once again Thank you all.

B.Subrahamanyam
 04/01/2010 04:24 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

Hmm ya in Asia some so called "1st tier" mobo makers charge downright ridiculous mark up w.r.t Egg USA If u looking at Biostar look at TA785G3+/HD and/or TA790GX A3+ - the guys at extremesystems forums (amd section) have done some mind boggling stuff with these hehe

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 04/01/2010 08:58 AM

Author Icon
Subbu

sure I'm looking at TA 785G3+/HD and Ta 790GX preferably with AM# socket.....thank you sir.....

B.Subrahamanyam
 04/02/2010 12:21 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

You are welcomed ^^

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information