Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Advice Regarding CPU / Motherboard
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/17/2010 10:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/17/2010 10:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Photoguy
Lurker

I'm an ADM user and decided that I wanted to build my frst PC after adding components to my current HP. I have done a lot of PC component reading on the TigerDirect website but I'm out of my league regarding a CPU / Motherboard purchase. Your help is appreciated....

I am a photographer using a minimum of two applications - Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS5 - simultaniously. Upon the addition of Photoshop my system began to run slow for the first time.

Current PC is an HP Pavilion 16614f desktop.
Windows7 64-bit
AMD phenom X4 9500
M2n68-la (narra3) motherboard
6GB DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT1GB DDR2 graphics card
3 WD Hard drives
Power supply is 300 W (reading only recently about power and this is probably low)

New build:
Purchased recently: Ultra mid-tower case, 2 120mm fans, LSP 550 W power supply.

I'm intending to move my current hard drives and Nvidia graphics card to the Ultra case. I recently did a clean Windows 7 64-bit download and then added all of my applications. Also cleaned up other drives and they are in great shape again.

Here is where I need help please:
I would like to use the 6 GB of memory that is in my HP for the new build if it is a smart thing to do. However, I do not understand the differences in memory.
On tiger direct's website they have an AMD Phenon II X4 Quad Core OEM processor for $99.99. Also an Asus M4A785-M Motherboard for $74.99. If you suggest that this is a good performance upgrade I will purchase both as part of a bundle and the cost goes down about 15%. Included in the bundle is an LG DVD writer and Thermaltake CPU fan and Corsair PC6400 2 Gig DR2 of memory. I could use these components as well.

I know enough about audio exquipment to make informed descitions. In audio, very good equipment cannot perform if one link in the chain is a poor choice. I'm sure that is the same for a PC build. So, kind people, your thoughts regarding my choices above are appreciated. I'm not locked into these components so please feel free to advise differently. I can also throw another $100 at this if needed.

I need a system that can handle multiple photography applications, itunes, and surf at the same time and it needs to be extremely reliable.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your thoughts and opinions.

Best regards, Doug
 12/17/2010 11:38 PM

Author Icon
TeMpLeViPeR:~
Deprecated

Hello Photoguy,
Can you give us a little more information on the ram that you are currently using? your best bet is try keep that memory matched and running in dual channel ex: 2 x 2 gig sticks 4 gigs total or 4x 2gig sticks 8 gigs total is another common way that people run them. Also what is the quad core they are offering? if you could please link up the hardware you are looking to upgrade to.

-------------------------
~5.53 GHZ CPU-Z Link~

Edited: 12/17/2010 at 11:52 PM by TeMpLeViPeR:~
 12/18/2010 04:03 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

CS5 makes far better use of multi cores than any other version so the ideal/dream scenario is if u live near a Microcenter hehe

1055T + AM2+ MSI 785GT-E63 $190 bundle

reuse your DDR2 and hit an after market cooler to clock Use your old AM2+ 9500 to update BIOS on that 785G for Thuban if need arises

-------------------------

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
 12/18/2010 06:24 PM

Author Icon
Photoguy
Lurker

Here is where I need help please:
I would like to use the 6 GB of memory that is in my HP for the new build if it is a smart thing to do. However, I do not understand the differences in memory.
On tiger direct's website they have an AMD Phenon II X4 Quad Core OEM processor for $99.99. Also an Asus M4A785-M Motherboard for $74.99. If you suggest that this is a good performance upgrade I will purchase both as part of a bundle and the cost goes down about 15%. Included in the bundle is an LG DVD writer and Thermaltake CPU fan and Corsair PC6400 2 Gig DR2 of memory. I could use these components as well.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information