AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon II 645 or Phenom II X 4
Topic Summary: Which is the best if locked in by mobo.
Created On: 12/22/2010 04:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/22/2010 04:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pjmoses
Lurker

Hey Guys, thanks in advance! I have read some of your suggestions and understand most, but I have one of my own that is making calculas look easy. The mobo in my Gateway GM5688E is a Foxconn - Bengal - RS780 that says AM2+/AM3 socket. It currently has a Phenom triple core 2.1Ghz in it and want to speed things along. I run Adobe products for photos is about the toughest thing it does, just want everything to speed up some. So....I am looking at the difference in a Athlon II x 4 645 and the Phenom II x4 Deneb. I have to keep the watts down to 95w for CPU. Which one is best? Do you need a L3 cache? Will doubling the RAM to 8Gb need to be done? It is DDR2 RAM. Does more RAM make the machine faster than the speed increase from 2.1 triple core to 3.0 quadcore? My graphics card is built in, does that mean on the motherboard, or on the CPU? I know, I don't know nothin'. But would just like my machine to start up faster and run basic programs quickly. The Phenom triple core is OK, just seems sluggish to me. On CPU-Z it shows the graphics to be ATI Radeon HD 3200, code name - RS780, the mobo number. Am I living a dream and nothing will speed it up? Open for any and all suggestions. Also seem to have a problem with updating the BIOS for a new processor with this mobo. Can't find one.

-------------------------
pJmoses
 12/22/2010 05:36 PM

Author Icon
pjmoses
Lurker

Have been doing research and have come to the conclusion that the Phenom II X 4 945 is my best bet. So now the question is over upgrading the RAM or not from 4 Gb to 8Gb. Will that make very much difference? Will the graphics installed still work after upgrade of CPU?

pJmoses
 12/23/2010 02:48 AM

Author Icon
batuchka
Case Modder

No doubt a chipset may, in theory support the latest CPUs but i would say confirm with Gateway that a BIOS had been released that allows you to slot in an AM3 chip? Between the 2 i would pick the 945 and you may need more powerful GPU than that IGP for Premiere Pro but outside that a fast chip + lots of RAM would be fine

My El Cheapo move to better PC Audio!
http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=153336&enterthread=y
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information