AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: AM3+ (Bulldozer) and Windows XP?
Topic Summary: What Motherboard companies should i look at for Windows XP compatibility?
Created On: 12/30/2010 11:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/30/2010 11:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
campcreekdude

Okay this question is a bit early BUT i just wanted it to be known that ....

I still want Windows XP compatibility! Even when we are buying The New AMD 8 core Bulldozer Cores that are coming in 2011!!!!!!

Okay i am not completely backwards and ancient: i have one harddrive with Windows 7... and one harddrive with windows XP...... I have both. BUT my new system i just want a motherboard swap and I want the 8 core system that the net is raving about that is coming in 2011. My largest fear is that it wont be XP compatible when AM3+ rolls around..

I havent met alot of motherboards that arent XP compatible... BUT YOU NEVER KNOW? 2011? ( i done my research yes xp can handle 8 cores)

THE REAL QUESTION???

Which Motherboard Company am I going to be looking at for most likely backwards compatible for XP...(historically who supported older OS's on newer Mobo's)

Like who supported windows 98SE when XP was still around on the new Athlons...lol

Next Question:

I have the AMD DUAL CORE optimizer patch installed on Windows XP....
ANYONE know if thats is for AMD Quad Cores as well? FOR XP? Should it be uninstalled in anticipation of Motherboard Swap?
 01/01/2011 11:45 PM

Author Icon
Brayden430
Fanboi

Run windows xp in virtual
http://www.virtualbox.org/

Comes down to mostly if the company that makes the usb or Ethernet controllers has a windows xp version of the drivers
Even with my semi new motherboard drivers are so poor for windows xp and me being cheap I have had to switch to ubuntu to even run my computer.

Windows XP while it can support more then 4 cores it does not mean it will make efficient use of them.

-------------------------
===============
Current system
===============
Power Supply:RoseWill Bronze series 750 watt modular
RAM: Patriot 2GB 240-Pin DDR3
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3
CPU: Athlon II X3 435 Rana 3.2Ghz Overclocked
GPU: AMD 6950 unlocked to a 6970
 01/02/2011 05:07 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Since when has a new processor ever not allowed you to run an older OS?? I think that you will be just fine man.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 01/02/2011 01:33 PM

Author Icon
campcreekdude

Yea that virtualization wont be an option for me... the problem is..

I have a tonne of video games installed on XP and transfering the saved games would be alot of work...

Yea the processor does support older OS's its all about the motherboard and components.

I guess we will find out in April if they make XP compatible motherboards for bulldozer...

IF NOT.... i know there are Core i7 motherboards that work fine in windows xp.
 01/02/2011 03:16 PM

Author Icon
mbjbdc
Overclocker

you should have no problem running xp til 2014 when support for xp ends
the xp drivers from asus work great for me.
i have been running xp&xp x64 with no issues.
you need to worry more about application support.
for example i can not run 3dmark06 on xpx64

Biostar TA-990FXE-Extreme
amd-fx8120 @3.7 1.2750 V
corsair ddr3-1866 16GB
ocz-vertex3-240
windows 8 rtm
 01/02/2011 03:18 PM

Author Icon
campcreekdude

Thats really interesting I heard of Ubuntu but never played with it.......
Thanks for the info... Maybe i should Tripple Boot? lol

My current system is a Dual Boot.
However I have already purchased Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

My thought was I would install 64-bit games and DX 10 + games on Windows 7....
and the rest in Windows XP.

Currently I only have Halo 2 installed on Windows 7. The game that was crippled so it couldnt install on XP without hacking.
I havent purchased a real Direct X 10 title Game or a 64 bit game yet. Most titles now are still DX9 and 32-bit. pfft....

Another reason why i want to keep my XP OS is because i have Microsoft Office Xp installed and that costed a couple hundred bucks a while ago. Same with my STEAM Games which are Downloaded through Steam Halflife 1, 2, Episodes' etc.

My current rig is happy but slow:

Opteron 180 (2.4 Ghz just like the X2 4800) S939
4 Gigs of Ram DDR
1 Terabyte Harddrive Windows 7
750 Gig Harddrive Windows XP
200 Gig Harddrive (random Stuff... Pagefile, Mp3's etc.)
Radeon 4870 512 meg GDDR5...(CPU is the bottleneck with this Video Card)
Power Supply 850 Watts.

Definately all i need is a New Motherboard, Ram and CPU. And i have to wait till AM3+ comes out cause if i buy anything now i will kick myself for not waiting four or five months.... Just have to cross my fingers that the mobo is compatible with Xp...

However... if i get a motherboard like Brayden430 said about Ethernet:

If all that is not compatible is the Ethernet Card... I can always purchase a PCI- Internet Card to install on the Motherboard. There is hope...
 01/02/2011 03:23 PM

Author Icon
campcreekdude

Mbjbdc. The only reason i got scared is cause at work we want to get a computer with XP installed but the Motherboard (the computer guys said) is not 100% compatible with XP... But they will try to make it work... NO promises.
then i was like what the?

Now what will happen with my home build if i wait till April???

I didnt realise the official date for Xp support ended in 2014...

Someone told me ASUS does make quality Motherboards...

So far all i have had is Gigabyte... and at work the Gigabyte Motherboard was throwing questions at the Computer techs if it would work in XP 32 bit.
 01/02/2011 04:18 PM

Author Icon
I3r0k3n7FEET
Deprecated

personally i think windows XP support should be dropped by everyone and everything..

just to say...

but as previously said. i think you will be fine

01/03/2011 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Brayden430
Fanboi

Linux works as well i have most of my games working under my Ubuntu install. Its also amazing how games aren't threaded under windows run them under Ubuntu they use all my cores nearly evenly.

===============
Current system
===============
Power Supply:RoseWill Bronze series 750 watt modular
RAM: Patriot 2GB 240-Pin DDR3
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3
CPU: Athlon II X3 435 Rana 3.2Ghz Overclocked
GPU: AMD 6950 unlocked to a 6970
 01/11/2011 01:46 PM

Author Icon
campcreekdude

Originally posted by: I3r0k3n7FEET

personally i think windows XP support should be dropped by everyone and everything..

just to say...

but as previously said. i think you will be fine

LOL if it were up to me i would still be using Windows 98SE.... But that darn video card upgrade wasnt compatible with 98SE so i had to conform to XP...
I was happy with XP. i never touched VISTA.
Windows 7 looks fun but it doesnt make sense to install anything on it unless its DX11 or 64-bit...

The biggest problem about dropping Windows XP for me is... All those programs that require Online Activation... I pay money for that crap. Some of it you can activate more than once but its a gamble i dont want to do.

Just like i said earlier... Newer games are harder to transfer saved files over to into other installs. Its not just one file anymore. Its build into the game somehow with much of this stuff.. profiles etc...

Oh yea i just said at work we were trying to get an XP machine going because of our old Accounting information. We have one computer with old accounting software that goes back to 2002 on XP. It would be nice to have more than one computer with those records. We actually discontinued using that Accounting Packaged software to a different program (more easier to use).

So that was the only reason we wanted an newer XP system going at work just for old record basis.
 01/12/2011 01:44 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

If I was your "computer guy" I wouldn't even entertain the thought. If you're afraid of moving to a new system... too bad for you. The benefits far outweight the risks, and it'll need to be done sooner or later. Better to do it sooner before something dies and the decision is made for you.

With that said... I wouldn't advise moving to Linux either. Linux won't necessarily be any better for you than windows. It's not a magic bullet, and you're clearly more comfortable with Windows as most people are. While the comfort of end users shouldn't always be the deciding factor in these things it doesn't hurt to take it into consideration when possible.

I wouldn't advise building a Bulldozer system to run accounting software either... but that sounds like an issue for a different topic.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Edited: 01/12/2011 at 01:54 PM by Mime
 01/12/2011 07:16 PM

Author Icon
Gúrú Linux ríomhaire
Lurker

Originally posted by: Mime

If I was your "computer guy" I wouldn't even entertain the thought. If you're afraid of moving to a new system... too bad for you. The benefits far outweight the risks, and it'll need to be done sooner or later. Better to do it sooner before something dies and the decision is made for you.

With that said... I wouldn't advise moving to Linux either. Linux won't necessarily be any better for you than windows. It's not a magic bullet, and you're clearly more comfortable with Windows as most people are. While the comfort of end users shouldn't always be the deciding factor in these things it doesn't hurt to take it into consideration when possible.

I wouldn't advise building a Bulldozer system to run accounting software either... but that sounds like an issue for a different topic.

when you compare the facts

79,000 to 1 billion depending on what number you want to go off off for windows based viruses

100 known to ever exist for linux

250 known to ever exist for mac

Only possible way to infect Linux or mac is to install an infected source via untrusted source. Using your sudo password or root account. It it virtual IMPOSSIBLE to brows the web or open an email in linux and become infected. It has never happened to date. Due to Linux security and encryption second to none.

All you have to do is use a Admin based account in any windows to become infected with out even knowing it. There are an estimated 15,000 viruses known to exist for windows that can not be detected by any known anti virus at any given time.

These days there is software to replace near ANY windows based software on linux

Linux is free

Linux does NOT ever require any kind of maintenance and does not suffer rot.

Every build of windows suffers rot and requires constant maintenance .

Linux starts to look like the magic pill as you like to put it.

Free speech man, no personal attack intended.

Just cold hard facts, Will post a link to several Linux based web sites of such topics, just to keep things on the up and up and others who know what I know can join in and watch managements actions.

This forum has been known to be greatly Anti Linux and suffer A great miss understanding of the OS.

Don't quite get that, Linux Loves AMD lol.

Facts are clear, several distributions of linux can run far fast and smoother then on windows. Also a known fact that Linux uses far less resources and looks better with out the need to worry about it.

Not my fault Microsoft wants to keep its users Dependant on them for life at a great expense.

I can be found on
Ultimate Edition Forums
Ultimate Edition OZ Forums
I do love my Linux. Cant stand windows
 01/12/2011 08:01 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Most people get the hint when their posts start disappearing, but let me spell it out just to be clear. Go away, and when you realize your account doesn't work anymore don't come back.

Anybody who actually knows Linux will recognize that little rant as the waste of space that it is. For all those who have not yet encountered a truly ravenous Linux fanboy I leave it here as reference. They are not easily missed, but as with any fanboy are useful to identify nonetheless. As you no doubt have already guessed this is not my first and unfortunately shall not be the last.

Containment Breach

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.

Edited: 01/12/2011 at 08:31 PM by Mime
 01/12/2011 10:46 PM

Author Icon
deviltalk
Lurker

crazy, i know amd is a little slow on the linux support, but i am running a duel xp/linux system and i can squeze more fps out of my ati running wow through linix (including the linux to windows prog) hey its not for everyone, i love amd and if anyone likes an underdog its me, i've seen windows 7 and was not impressed, i like my xp and before they got most of the bugs out i loved 2000nt, you have to be carefull, i use piriform produsts to keep my windows running tickity boo, very helpfull, defraggler ccleaner, very good free apps that run better then their windows counterparts. right now my favorite toy is this lgx110 netbook, upgradings definatly a techie job, but tweaking is more fun, with the new bulldozer core coming out i am expecting some fantastic software speeds, optimizing the cores will definatly be a bit of a challenge at first, but once some of the $code is down it wil just become easier.

remember when altering anything back up all your important data, and when overclocking somtimes going too far then dialing back down is a good thing. try to experiment and post your findings for others. this little atom i overclocked to 2200mhz before i crashed it, dialed it back to 1800 and it runs smoother......

note; when upping or "overclocking" do so in a slow maner bit by bit, then run your favorite benchmark util.

and yes it is ok to take your gpu off the carn and use it as a cpu. just be carefull..... yes it is crazy fun.
and when choosing a system start with what you need it for... ie gaming, photo editing, programming, sometimes that bigger core or multi cores is unneeded, (yeah right lol)

yeah i know i tend to ramble.... thats me. but take what you need from it and allways do your researchbefore making any final decisions.

lgx110 atom
1gx1600mhz
xp/ubuntu oz unity

pc 18" tower
amd2 5600x2
dfi lanparty (awesome)
ati in crossfire
xp
 01/12/2011 11:50 PM

Author Icon
campcreekdude

wouldn't advise building a Bulldozer system to run accounting software either... but that sounds like an issue for a different topic.

nahhh i aint ever gonna do accounting at home... Ill be in the office doing it on a crappy barebone system...

Accounting isnt worthy enough for Bulldozer CPU...

Actually going with your advice about moving to New Systems we would have been on Vista a long time ago and theres a reason why Gates fired half his staff execs who were pushing for a early release...

although we have tonnes of computers on Windows 7 now. Im not afraid ... we just need something that has that old information..

We could go as ancient as keeping everything in paper and have a new operating system then i could have more hours at work filing...
 01/13/2011 01:15 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

Ok... I wasn't sure exactly what you planned to do with the machine.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame your computer guys for trying to make things work as they are. I've done my fair share of doing the same because migrating to a new system always sucks. At some point though you'll end up spending twice as much time catering to the needs of an old machine, and half as much time actually getting stuff done. At that point it doesn't even matter if the system was a good one or not when you first set it up. It's just in the way.

And just so you all know... I was "raised" on Linux and have been working with it in one form or another for 10 or 12 years now. I know it's a good operating system, but it not the perfect tool for any task or any user, and you don't need to worship Tux as a god. It's just another OS.

Containment Breach

01/13/2011 01:17 AM

Author Icon
derpityherp
Lurker

Mime, you don't deserve to be a part of these forums if that's how you talk to someone who most probably uses the product that is featured on this site. Its called Free speech, its also called competition to a company that hardly knows what its doing other then getting money from people who find linux to be... scary? Difficult? They only drop support for OS's so they can continue to make money. The fact you make fun of someone for knowing something that actually takes time just shows how arrogant you yourself are. Why don't you tell me why him pointing out that linux has less security holes makes him a fanboy? Yes statistics show more people use windows, you know why? Because its got advertizing, its always been an easy operating system, and its forced on consumers who don't yet know how to build their own computers. Windows is a gaming OS for me, thats just for now, for just about everything else, linux is faster. Linux also has *for the most part* software that may as well mimic that of windows, but without the couple hundred dollar cost. They also have some games that are close to windows. ID has ported their games to linux. Blizzard made WoW openGL... a couple of the biggest companies out there agree that supporting linux is worthwhile.
 01/13/2011 01:37 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Troll Hunter

... and so begin the one-hit wonders that always show up right after I nuke someone and are never(we hope) heard from again.

Dude... read post above. "a good operating system". There. Nevermind that I never really wanted to talk about Linux anyway. I just wanted to see if a fanatic would go away on their own or if I would be required to assist them in leaving. But whatever... I already said it. Ok?

Further reading on operating systems can be done below. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

http://www.cryptonomicon.com/beginning.html

Containment Breach

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information