AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Tax return = adult christmas.
Topic Summary: Time to upgrade!
Created On: 01/05/2011 07:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/05/2011 07:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
doodlehed
Lurker

Looking to upgrade my computer to play some games better. It's getting a bit dated and once I give my old specs you can see just how dated my computer is now. As old as this computer is it still plays MW2 and WoW and battlefield's at decent frame rates. Just not that pretty.

I want my new system to seem BEASTLY compaired to this:

Athlon 64 3400 cpu
k8n neo platinum mobo
1gig of poop RAM.
BFG 6800 GT OC video card (currently UNDER clocked to remedy random restarts during gaming)
PSU is like 420 watt, Enlite.

I'd like to stick with an AMD cpu but if intel is better right now I'll go that route I guess. I've always had nvidia graphics cards aswell. I'd kinda like to get a radeon card just for something new to play with but, whatever is best right now. This is going to be the item with the most emphasis. Like the 6800 gt oc of today... Lower high end card.

Any help would be great. Sorry to post this noob stuff like everyone else. Just not looking forward to re-learning every processor and video card out right now to make the right decision. My budget is only about 500 bucks but for 4 or so componants that should be feasable.

-------------------------
I like pizza.
 01/11/2011 12:44 AM

Author Icon
AzCodeMonkey
Lurker

In my personal opinion, Intel processors are inferior, practically, to AMD processors.

The Intel core i7 (x6) has 12mb of cache memory. I'm not really sure right now, and don't feel like looking it up. The AMD Phenom II x6 line has 9Mb of cache memory on die.

Both, I believe, have the same L1 cache size, which is where a lot of the magic happens. I know that the AMD that I have (1090T x6) has a 2 way set associative L1 cache, which provides something like a 85% hit rate on L1 cache.

With only a discrepancy of 3Mb between 6 cores of cache memory, 512kb/core, the core i7 does not achieve much, if any better results.

Lets face the fact that, given two identical processors, one clocked at 3.0Ghz, and one clocked at 2.0Ghz, in normal, every day situations, you will not notice a difference. However, if you have two processors, identical clock speeds, and everything else, but one being a 2 core vs a 4 core, the 4 core will come out on top, because of its ability to handle a lot of throughput.

Anyway, enough jabbering on. Here are the specs to my PC right now, and it takes everything I can throw at it.

Msi 790FX-GD70
AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (stock clock)
MasterCooler V6 GT heat-sink/CPU Cooler
2x ATI Raedon 6850's w/ Crossfire enabled
8gb of DDR3 1330Mhz RAM
Master Cooler 650W PSU
Thermaltake "Black Widow" full tower case.

Now, mind you, I don't game very much, if at all, but I do spend a lot of time at my pc because of my job. This computer has handled all of it and asked for more

Under a stress test, using Prime95, the temperature readouts from the on-die never got above 23*C, even after 10+ hours of 100% load.

I think eventually I will add a 128gb SSD and mirror my OS' onto it, but for now it runs off of two samsung spin-point 1TB HDDs
 01/11/2011 02:06 PM

Author Icon
muziqaz
Deprecated

Is it newegg you are looking to buy your rig? I take it it does not include monitor, keyboard, mouse. What about hard drive? When I get back home I will have a look couple of variants.

AMD Phenom II X6@3.9ghz<>MSI 890FXA-GD70
8Gb OCZ 1600Mhz cas 7 RAM<>AMD Radeon HD6970
300Gb WD Velociraptor<>2.5Tb HDDs
CM Cosmos S<>Custom cheap watercooling
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit<>32'' 1080p TV
 01/11/2011 05:05 PM

Author Icon
muziqaz
Deprecated

Here it is.

AMD 870 chipset with SATA 3 6gb/s, USB3
Cas 7 OCZ RAM 1333mhz 4Gb of them
Seasonic PSU 520W
2.8ghz Athlon II X2, I am not sure if it can be unlocked to x4.
Radeon 6870, finest of AMD/ATI engineering

What I forgot is CPU cooler if you need one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...?Item=N82E16835103065

That would put you over your budget. If $500 is hard limit for you, then we can pick another motherboard with AMD 770 chipset which is 20 odd dollar cheaper, thus you will fit into your budget

AMD Phenom II X6@3.9ghz<>MSI 890FXA-GD70
8Gb OCZ 1600Mhz cas 7 RAM<>AMD Radeon HD6970
300Gb WD Velociraptor<>2.5Tb HDDs
CM Cosmos S<>Custom cheap watercooling
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit<>32'' 1080p TV

Edited: 01/11/2011 at 05:14 PM by muziqaz
 01/12/2011 09:55 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

Originally posted by: AzCodeMonkey

In my personal opinion, Intel processors are inferior, practically, to AMD processors.

The Intel core i7 (x6) has 12mb of cache memory. I'm not really sure right now, and don't feel like looking it up. The AMD Phenom II x6 line has 9Mb of cache memory on die.

Both, I believe, have the same L1 cache size, which is where a lot of the magic happens. I know that the AMD that I have (1090T x6) has a 2 way set associative L1 cache, which provides something like a 85% hit rate on L1 cache.

With only a discrepancy of 3Mb between 6 cores of cache memory, 512kb/core, the core i7 does not achieve much, if any better results.

Lets face the fact that, given two identical processors, one clocked at 3.0Ghz, and one clocked at 2.0Ghz, in normal, every day situations, you will not notice a difference. However, if you have two processors, identical clock speeds, and everything else, but one being a 2 core vs a 4 core, the 4 core will come out on top, because of its ability to handle a lot of throughput.

Anyway, enough jabbering on. Here are the specs to my PC right now, and it takes everything I can throw at it.

Msi 790FX-GD70

AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (stock clock)

MasterCooler V6 GT heat-sink/CPU Cooler

2x ATI Raedon 6850's w/ Crossfire enabled

8gb of DDR3 1330Mhz RAM

Master Cooler 650W PSU

Thermaltake "Black Widow" full tower case.

Now, mind you, I don't game very much, if at all, but I do spend a lot of time at my pc because of my job. This computer has handled all of it and asked for more

Under a stress test, using Prime95, the temperature readouts from the on-die never got above 23*C, even after 10+ hours of 100% load.

I think eventually I will add a 128gb SSD and mirror my OS' onto it, but for now it runs off of two samsung spin-point 1TB HDDs

You need to do more homework. I understand that you really like your rig and that is excellent, I personally and very happy that you chose AMD over Intel but the fact remains that Intel overpowers AMD in the current CPU market. Just check out the benchmark threads in this forum for real world examples.

Now, BullDozer is "rumored" to perform right below the Intel hexacore procs ATM.....this is rumor but I am hopeful that we will see AMD at least performing equally with Intel. Only time will tell.

As far a day to day work, you probably won't notice any differences between the two but lets not be naive here.....I am AMD to the bone, but if someone asks me a question about the best of the best I will be honest.

CHEERS!!!

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information