AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with the AM3+ platform (serious motherboard design flaws MSI / AsRock)
Topic Summary: An ongoing problem in being able to confidently sell Amd chips (we have only sold Amd since 1997)
Created On: 02/01/2012 12:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/09/2012 04:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PerryCS
Lurker

Oh... to clarify a reply above... it doesn't discharge AFTER the power has been off 8-12 seconds... it hisses the second the machine is giving up it's last breath so to speak. AS the power is draining from the system. I too thought it could be caps discharging into the speaker circuit somewhere. Its odd the software fixes it. Well... I'd rather have software problems than hardware problems!
 09/08/2012 07:16 AM

Author Icon
PerryCS
Lurker

Well, this issue is still happening on the brand new FX and FM1 builds as of Sep 3, 2012. All new software off website. The fix as I mentioned above is to UNinstall the audio software and allow windows 7 to re-detect it and install the generic drivers.

The last 2 systems I built in the past week were Asus and AsRock. Both have the problem. At this stage it appears to be with the audio chip and software. It's spanning MANY brands and the main component thats the same is... they all have Realtek Audio.

It would be nice if someone would fix the software. Sadly... no-one either reads these forums except users or they do read them and couldn't give 2 craps.

Fly on the wall...
Most companies - CSR Monkey: HEY! Lets put up a forum so people can vent their anger out on it so we don't have to deal with it.
Most companies - Head Monkey: GREAT idea! Once they vent. They'll calm down. Problem fixed. Psychology says that if you talk about your problems, it helps you get over them and relax better.
Me: Still mad and very dissapointed.
My Thoughts: But hey... who cares. History has proven time and time again that every company and power on the face of the earth ends up in the dust. It may take time. But eventually... it will happen.

Ah well. Off to program. I do find it odd that I am the only one experiencing this. Did they ship all the crappy boards to the suppliers in my area? LOL?!?!?!
 09/20/2012 12:21 PM

Author Icon
James Donovan
Lurker

I try to put up motion picture of my system hissing. I missed the "bling" as windows shuts down but the hissing occurs around some second mark for about a second. It is not overly loud but I wouldn't have your speakers really loud for this.

-------------------------

online store software review

09/20/2012 12:32 PM

Author Icon
James Donovan
Lurker

Originally posted by: PerryCS My name is David Perry, I run a small business in Canada. I have loved AMD chips, company ethics (vs Intels ethics), their great design of CPU's (K5 is the exception) for over a decade. Our website has NO intel parts or systems on it. We have sold thousands of AMD only systems since 1997 and I am sadly at my limit. I will explain in detail... the following motherboards are faulty and I will explain why... MSI 890GXM-G65 (sold 9 of them and stopped) then tried MSI 890FXA-GD65 (sold 3 of them and stopped) then tried AsRock 990FX Extreme 4 (sold 1 and am stopping sales of all high end Amd products for the first time since going into business) WHY are these boards defective? Upon shutdown they will HISS loudly in the speakers approx 20-30% of the time. I contacted MSI since we sold exclusively MSI products since ~1999 and they said.. update to newest BIOS - we fix we fix. I wrote back saying I already did that and the hissing went from 70% of the time down to 20-30%. No fixes since. We switched boards. Same thing. We sold a few of the A75A-G35 motherboards and these ones did NOT hiss upon shutdown. We build ALL our systems exactly the same depending on a few factors so we know exactly how everything runs together and to this day we have a 99.5% happiness rating amongst our customers and over thousands of PC's (all AMD) only 2 lemons since 1997 (motherboard related). Most of our systems run over the 7-9 year mark before they die. People replace them because they are so slow. With a track record like that we were very supportive of MSI in taking time to fix this HISSING issue but the last few years MSI has been getting a lot worse (Liveupdate barely works, and more flakey'ish motherboards, and horrible Canadian Depot Repair (they finally closed down the Canadian office in Markham [thats a good thing]). SO... what are we to do? As a last resort we finally started selling AsRock motherboards and the reason for this was... MSI LIED on their website regarding which AMD cpu's were supported. I was suspicious when their website said.. "Do NOT stress these CPU's out to full". I was like WHAT?!?!!? Whats going on here? So, after some digging and reading on newegg I found out that some of the boards were frying because they lied about being able to handle a 125+ watt CPU in a 95 watt motherboard. Although this has nothing to do with the hissing... I was getting more and more upset and all this crap in trying to build QUALITY systems. Coolermaster has also been downgraded and stopped being sold from us as well due to lies about their PSU's. Reading some torture tests on their PSU's was very dissapointing. We opted to sell ThermalTake and while not 100% sqeeky clean in labeling their products they did far better than Coolermasters lies. Why should I as a small business owner have to sift through lies and find out companies are mis-representing their products and you know WHO gets hurt? AMD and ME! AMD because I am now fed up with all this. I want a STABLE system that doesn't HISS and embarrass me when I take a computer to a new customer and have to explain to them that... *heard the hiss on shutdown and thought to myself... NOOOO!* To the customer I said... " "Ok, I didn't know THIS newer platform did that. I warned the other customers who bought the 890FX and 890GX chipsets. I had no idea that the 990 chipsets would be flawed as well. It's only a hiss for a few seconds on shutdown. If you turn your speakers off before shutting down the computer then it won't be heard. Oh wait... the MSI ones hissed endlessly in SLEEP mode. Hmmm... let me test yours. (25 min later of going into and out of sleep mode, rebooting, shutting down.) - WHEW... ok, it seems the AsRock motherboards don't hiss in SLEEP mode. Keep an eye on it. If it starts hissing in SLEEP mode then please contact me if it annoys you. My computer at home does it - I bought a 1100T and a MSI 890GXM-G65 for my high end gaming system and it runs amazing but the hissing is annoying." *customer doesnt know what to say...* SO... what is wrong with this picture? Giving a computer to a new customer and saying "keep an eye on it", "hissing", "testing", "I didnt know this model did this"... are NOT good ways to keep customers. After this last customer I have decided that unless a resolution is found from AsRock for this in a month I have no choice but to stop selling AMD and sadly give the gorrilla (Intel) yet another banana. Why do we sell exclusively AMD? Without AMD your computer would cost ~$3k more. If you think Intel wouldn't triple their prices with no competition you are dreaming. AMD makes decent CPU's. Up untill the 1100T Thuban I was totally happy with AMD's chips for decades. With the slower FX series chips performing very poorly AND to top it off motherboard woes I CAN'T AFFORD TO SELL AMD ANYMORE! I resisted as long as I could supporting a company I do NOT like. Intel has some very poor business practices in squashing out competition but what can I do? My customers want chips and computers that don't come with EXCUSES! Maybe it's the ThermalTake's power supplies causing it? Maybe it's the brand of video cards we exclusively sell (Sapphire). Maybe it's a combination of ThermalTake and 890FX/990FX motherboards. WHO KNOWS?!?!?! Very distraught VAR and System Builder. In the following post will be the contacts I have made with MSI and AsRock.

Thanks for share a valuable information. I have AMD desktop with "AsRock 990FX Extreme ". Pleasetell me how I check it is Defective or not??

-------------------------

online store software review

09/24/2012 03:34 AM

Author Icon
PerryCS
Lurker

The 990FX Extreme boards as far as I remember were all 125watts so they wont have any of the problems I mentioned with wattage issues.

As for the sound. Just install the Realtek audio drivers off Asus, Msi, AsRock, or anyones website. Shutdown the computer many times and eventually it will probably hiss.

The solution if the hissing bothers you - just UNinstall the Realtek Audio software, reboot, and let windows 7 auto detect the software.

The hissing does NOT impact the operation of the machine in any way. It never crashes. Never acts weird. Never does anything it's not supposed to do. The only problem with it - it's annoying and embarrassing if you're selling some fancy new computer.

Even as of Sep 2012 I have been building machines that do this. My solution for everyone is just allow Windows to autodetect the audio.

Maybe one day they will fix this issue but after 2+ years it seems no-one cares. When our new company website is done we will be offering Intel and Amd systems. Since my biggest beef with the Intel systems is their crappy 4 post plastic fans that suck beyond belief I will only be selling the Intel systems with a backing plate and screw-in-able fans that can never come unattached or "break" off wrecking the system.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information