Increase font size
Topic Title: My soon to be system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2004 09:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2004 09:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zxoltar

ANTEC Silver Aluminum Performance 1 Series ATX Mid-Tower Case with Side Window Panel, Swiveling Front Control Panel features LED Display, Model "P-160WF" -RETAIL

ASUS K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "K8V Deluxe" -RETAIL

ATI AIW RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/CATV/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 PRO" -RETAIL

THERMALTAKE W0020+PFC Silent Purepower 480W with Silver housing, Model "W0020" -RETAIL

AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1MB L2 Cache, The Only 64-bit Windows Compatible Processor - Retail

Mushkin 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 "222 Special" Dual Pack - Retail

Samsung 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model SFD321B/LEB, OEM Drive Only

Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD2000JD, OEM Drive

Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB/PS2 104keys -RETAIL

Lite-On 16X DVDROM, Model XJ-HD165H/166S, Retail

Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW, Retail

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" -RETAIL

Arctic Silver's NEW Premium Silver Polysynthetic Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5. 3.5-gram( 1 cc. ) tube.

ZALMAN CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462/ 754 and Intel Socket 478

Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System -RETAIL

Also does anyone have opinions on lcd displays, am looking real hard at the Samsung 172x lcd, the problem being is that there are many conflicting reviews on the display, most come from the fact that Samsung sent review screens out with the 25ms response instead of with the 12ms response, and i don't trust thg reviews, they are always slanted in one way or another.

$550 is about the max I can spend on a lcd, so was looking for a great "17, I had looked at a sceptre 19" lcd that was $531, but no hearing of sceptre before am iffy if it is possible to get a good 19" at that price without having some extremem ghosting in games, when I talk games, I am not a fast action fps guy am more into rpg slow paced games. if you have any suggestions it is most welcome.

as I will probably be putting my order in this morning in a few hours and just wanted to make sure I have screwed up something.

-------------------------

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
Folding for team 34106' ">http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
 03/05/2004 11:50 AM

Author Icon
zxoltar

nevermind- decided to order it all anyways, should be here by Thursday and then the building begins. feels so good to finally get the exact pc i want and it will last me a long time

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
 03/05/2004 02:24 PM

Author Icon
compuryan

nice computer

have fun building it man.... I know how unbearable the excitement can be sometimes prior to building one's own "perfect" pc.

Beast Rig: ASUS SK8V Motherboard | AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor | 1 GB PC3200 |Kingston HYPERX DDR ECC Reg RAM | 2x WD SATA 36 gig 10k rpm drives in a raid 0 array | 2x Seagate Barracuda SATA 120GB 7200rpm in a raid 0 array | Plextor 8x DVD burner | LG 52x dc burner | DLINK Gigabit NIC | Visiontek ATI 9800XT Vid card | Thermal take venus 12 heatsink | Vantec 500 Watt PS | Black Thermaltake Xaser III aluminum case
(going to add swiftech liquid cooling this summer)
Server
 03/05/2004 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Ardrid
Heavy Wizardry

Very sweet system, indeed! I'm not really into LCDs because I do a lot of gaming and movie watching, though I'd love to have one for the simple fact that they won't break my back If you're looking for one though, you should check this out:

http://www.techreport.com/revi...q1/l...ds/index.x?pg=1' ">http://www.techreport.com/revi...04q1/lcds/index.x?pg=1

Intel Core i7 860
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
Corsair HX650W
Corsair XMS DDR3-1333 (4GB @ 8-8-8-24)
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
 03/05/2004 02:32 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

thx for the link, actually found a site that did a review on the 172x that samsung sent for review with the wrong response, and they later got the one that is in retail, and their opinions is that it is the best lcd for gaming in the market today.

only ghosting was in very fast paced fps games, and that it was barely noticeable, so for my slower action games it should do great.

found out today that my bank has a daily limit on my checkcard, and I had already ordered the monitor and when i went to newegg to order the pc stuff, it got declined because it put it over my daily limit, so the order won't get approved till monday, which puts the system here on wed. or thurs next week if newegg is as good on delivery as everyone says they are.

03/05/2004 02:38 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

yea it does feel good to actually get the exact pc I want, and not have to settle on what some manufacturer builds, and knowing every single part that goes into it.

gonna take alot of time putting it all together and routing all the cables carefully, don't want to have the dangle of cables I have in my current case, looks fugly.

over time, will sleeve every cable that is visible and possibly do a window on top with some etching in Elvish script

03/05/2004 03:19 PM

Author Icon
Athlon64Maniac

Really nice system! I just built myself a A64 3000+ system last month. I ended up going with the NEC MultiSync LCD 1760V moniter with an 18ms response rate. I was either going to get this or one of the Samsung LCDs. After looking at the reviews I went with the NEC. One bad thing about the Samsungs is that they produce a lot of moniters with dead pixels. One thing about the NEC is that it is 12 pounds instead of the Samsung which is 7 but I think this is only because the NEC has a heavy base.
 03/05/2004 04:23 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

from all the reviews I have seen, would say over 95% of folks recieve their lcd with 0 dead pixels, and the rest maybe 1 or 2 dead pixels

and the main reason for the weight difference is that the samsung uses an external converter, the necs converter is built in.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information