Increase font size
Topic Title: Finally... now I just need that video card
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/14/2005 08:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/14/2005 08:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

So I worked out a deal with my buddy and his store as my A8V Deluxe was being a pain in the butt, especially after the whole "last two BIOS revisions lock Command Rate to 2T and system is quite unstable at stock speeds" fiasco.

I had a store credit as well, and he owed me a favour to boot (got him nearly-new server racking for free, sister company to mine was throwing it out).

I ended up with:

DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR, complete UV package, case tote and all

Completely clear acrylic case

I'll be paying the difference after trading it in, but the MSI Radeon 9800 Pro (R360) is being traded on a MSI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB.

Oh, and my 230FSB limitations (if anyone really remembers /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> ) were K8T800-based. The latest BIOS revision for the SLI-DR has MemTest86 integrated into it... I completed 2 passes @ DDR480, CAS 3-3-3-6 with my OCZ PC 3200 Rev. 3 @2.9 vDIMM.

The only waffle point so far is that the entire system was a demo, so I had to gut it last night (2 hours because of the fact the whole thing's acrylic and REALLY touchy) and put my hardware in. The one thing I can't decide on is do I leave in his Venice 3000+ or put my Winchester 3200+ back in. Hmmmm. The Winny was stable @ 2.5GHz, but I think I might be able to get the Venice there, and SORT OF enjoy SSE3 support till I go dual core at the end of summer. Suggestions?

I've got my Venus 12 HSF, OCZ Ultra 5 silver-based thermal grease (great stuff), 2 Maxtor 80GB SATA 8MB drives in a RAID-0 on the NVRaid adapter, and my NEC 3520A DVD+-RW/DL optical drive.

I've uploaded a few pics to the blog so far, and I'll upload the WIP and final shots tonight after work.

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions, guys /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 07/14/2005 01:18 PM

Author Icon
AthlonX2

If you want to have a fun time overclocking, go with the Venice 3000+. You'll easily reach 2.5 Ghz since you already have some good ram and good cooling /wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

-------------------------
 07/14/2005 01:39 PM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

I'm just debating it because:

The Winchester is stable and proven for 2 months

The Venice, while widely acclaimed for more overclocking headroom, is a 1.8GHz processor. My Winchester 3000+ I had for a week couldn't break 2.4GHz. However, that was on my dunce of a A8V Deluxe.

All that's left to do today after work is to install Sandra, CPU-Z (copy over that is), Prime95, SuperPi and PiFast suites to do some serious testing. If the Venice is stable @ 2.5GHz or higher, it can stay as I'd welcome the SSE support and reported cooler overall temperatures.

If it's not, the Winchester is going in.
 07/14/2005 02:40 PM

Author Icon
axy1985
Ninja Zombie Killer

well, for fun, the 3000+, but for real OC, the 3200+. the multiplier of 10x does help a lot on achieving higher clocks than the 9x multi, and remember that both CPUs kinda hit the wall at similar speeds.

-------------------------
AMD Athlon II X2 440 @ 2.7 GHz (Sempron unlocked)
2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24 AMD Black Edition
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 890GX
MSI nVidia GTX460 1GB Hawk
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Antec TruePower New 650W
 07/14/2005 02:54 PM

Author Icon
Bit Slicer

How bad is working w/ acrylic, I was thinking of going that way????
 07/14/2005 03:06 PM

Author Icon
Logan[TeamX]

It was a complete kit from godknowswhere... got it for a ridiculous price from my buddy who owns a local PC shop here in my city. It was his demo box to demo the UV-reactive SLI-DR, and they had snapped a couple of lesser-importance case screws. Plus it was slightly scuffed in spots.

It took me just shy of two hours to get the guts disconnected (drive-wise), get the expansion bay tower out, remove his stuff and mount mine, and get the expansion bay tower re-mounted properly and the case all put back together. Add on at least an hour to assemble everything from scratch.

It's VERY solid and high-quality acrylic, it's not flexible really at all. Everything mounts nicely and stays put. The side panels have a bit of flex but the whole thing is remarkably stout.

It also looks ultra-pimp with the fans' UV cathodes lit and all the LED / liquid neon running in a dark room /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

The biggest gripe is that the entire expansion bay tower has to come pretty much right out in order to mount / dismount any drives / peripherals / accessory front-mount bays. That's 4 screws in the bottom sheet, 4 in the top, take off the top panel as well as the left / common side panel... and then do your business. Remount when complete in the reverse order.
 07/14/2005 03:08 PM

Author Icon
thuglife

QUOTE(Bit Slicer @ Jul 14 2005, 01:54 PM)How bad is working w/ acrylic, I was thinking of going that way????
[right][snapback]458971[/snapback][/right]

its very [content edited] hard i had a hard time doing the acrylic case i gave to a friend of mine /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
but if u work right, it looks great
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information