Increase font size
Topic Title: Zalman Heatsink Query
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/04/2005 12:09 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/04/2005 12:09 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bgis001

Hi, recently built a system with a 64 3000+ Winchester , Abit AV8 3rd eye MB - since building the system I have been getting dreaded BSOD crashes - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , tried all sorts to fix but no joy (fully updaterd drivers,XPHome with Sp1 only , SP1+SP2, bare minimum of programs loaded etc), notice on AMD support site that these issues can be caused by overheating - my heatsink is a Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU (new model with 120 mm fan), I've noticed the heatsink base does not cover all of the CPU heatspreader - could this be the cause of my problem ?.
 04/04/2005 01:23 AM

Author Icon
Alias Ethan

Uh, if it's not covering all of the lid, there's something wrong. Make sure you use the included backplate as opposed to one that's included with the board, make sure you're using a decent thermal paste (the included Zalman stuff is decent, Arctic Silver 5 is better).

I got those errors as well, but the drive just needed a surface scan. You can't expect a brand new drive to be clean without any errors on it. I mean, we should demand it, but don't count on it. The only problem I've been having are memory read errors at random intervals during HL2DM, though not Counter-Strike: Source.

Check your boot temperatures in the BIOS, leave the computer to run for maybe 10 minutes and have a look. Abits have had sensor issues before and it may be causing reboots that aren't really necessary, in which case you may try RMAing the board, or if you still can, return it for exchange.

-------------------------
AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester) | ASUS A8V Deluxe
Audigy 2 ZS | Logitech Z-5500 | ATI AIW 9600XT
OCZ EL DDR Platinum Rev. 2
 04/04/2005 10:17 AM

Author Icon
bgis001

I am using the back plate that came with the Zalman ( and the Zalman paste ) however for a heatsink that's supposedly s939 compatible the surface area of the base is nowhere near large enough - wonder if anyone else has noticed this ?, I'll try the surface scan and your other suggestions , Thanks.
 04/04/2005 12:32 PM

Author Icon
Alias Ethan

I have a CNPS7000B-Cu LED. And I've compared it and the 7700 side by side. The base area is a tad bigger on the 7700, but my 7000 covers my S939 processor just fine. You got a camera or something, as I'm really confused about what your HSF problem is.

-------------------------
AMD Athlon64 3200+ (Winchester) | ASUS A8V Deluxe
Audigy 2 ZS | Logitech Z-5500 | ATI AIW 9600XT
OCZ EL DDR Platinum Rev. 2
 04/05/2005 09:46 AM

Author Icon
bgis001

I'll try to get some pics of the setup, the base of the HSF sit's on the cpu heatspreader just fine but there is no overlap ( I am assuming there should be ) - the cpu heatspreader is visibly larger than the base of the HSF so it doesn't cover it.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information