AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Are Athlon XP and Sempron the same?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/12/2005 03:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/12/2005 03:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MicheleC

Some background: I bought my computer for the now-out-of-business Internetishop.com. It has an AMD Duron (at 1.3 gHz) processor. I'd like to upgrade.

The motherboard is a Syntax K7S740MP. I called Syntax and was told that it was upgradable to an Athlon XP 2600 FSB 266 mHz. Called AMD and was told that this was possible, but that Syntax was not a recommended motherboard - which I already surmised from their website. They said to call the motherboard manufacturer, who'd already told me it was okay to upgrade to this processor.

Calling a local computer shop (PC Club), I was told that the Sempron processor is the same as the Athlon XP, that they just changed the name. They said they'd put a new Sempron CPU in for me. Checking PC Club's website, they list the Sempron processor, but it is FSB 333 mHz.

Somewhere along the line in all these phone calls, I was also told that if I get a new motherboard, I'll need to reinstall Windows XP, but that probably won't need to be done with just switching processors. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows, if at all possible.

I'm not exactly a geek, so I want to make sure I do the right thing/get the right processor.

Would appreciate some advice from those more knowledgeable.

Thanks!
Michele
 04/12/2005 04:13 PM

Author Icon
Le_Petit_Lapin

Can you confirm that the maximum possible FSB speed on the Syntax K7S740MP is indeed 266Mhz?

I cant seem to find it listed anywhere on the Syntax website...
 04/12/2005 04:19 PM

Author Icon
MicheleC

That's why I called Syntax. They told me 266 mHz. Sigh.

Michele
 04/12/2005 04:38 PM

Author Icon
AMD808

SiS740 chipset - you are limited to a 266 MHz FSB processor.

The version of the XP 2600+ that you want is very hard to find nowadays. Your best bet would be an XP 2400+. You can use a Mobile processor (which uses a 266 MHz FSB), but, it does require your board to have the ability to change multiplier's. There is a way to do it in Windows, but I don't think you want to do that sort of configuring.

http://www.syntaxgroups.com/index.php' ">http://www.syntaxgroups.com/index.php

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 04/12/2005 04:55 PM

Author Icon
MicheleC

I found the Athlon XP 2600 266Mhz FSB on PCProgress.com. I hope they are a good company, because I just ordered the CPU from them, since I couldn't find it anywhere else.

Thanks for all your help!

Michele

PS. I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm going to find a computer technician here in town to install it.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information