Increase font size
Topic Title: X2 vs. Opteron vs. FX
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/23/2005 02:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/23/2005 02:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zpert

I don't understand the difference between the FX, X2, and Opteron series of processors. I know the FX is single-core, but the new FX-60 is going to be dual core. So when that comes out, I don't see the difference between the three AMD processor types at all. I have read that the FX-57 is the fastest single core processor out there, and is the king for single threaded apps, but I can't find any comparisons between AMD processors, like the opteron vs. the x2, or the fx vs. the x2, etc. I'm an AMD guy, and I definitely will get one for my next computer, but I want to know which one to get, and with these 3 processors seeming to me to be the same, I'm confused. Basically, I want the total package, but I don't know if it exists. Thanks for the help.
-zpert

edit: Sorry for starting another topic, I did a search for this and it didn't find it, but there's one similar to it but a different name. After reading those, I'm getting out of it that Opteron overclocks better than X2s and that's the only difference?? And what about the FX and the new FX-60 dual core? I really still have the same questions.
 12/23/2005 02:27 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

FX's are version of the athlon 64 with unlocked mulitipliers
X2's are dual core
dual core FX's will probably be FX2's or somehting like that.

socket 939 opterons are just like normal athlon 64/X2's(single and dual core) except they have been tested and certified to be very reliable(for use with server and workstations)

940 opteron flavours are availlable for dual socket boards, quad socket boards and higher.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...oduc...,30_118,00.html' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...tion/0,,30_118,00.html

have fun
 12/23/2005 12:09 PM

Author Icon
Prelude76

strip away all their names, and this is the base specs you should look for when comparing. for all relevant comparison, the Athlon64, Opteron, and AthlonFX are all the same.

the basics used for comparison:

speed: available from 1.8ghz to 2.8ghz, in 0.2ghz increments. naturally, the higher, the better.

L2 cache: 256kb for Semprons, 512kb for most Athlon64, 1mb for high-end Athlon64, some Opterons and all FX series. this doesnt make a huge difference, altough 512kb is ideal, 1mb is a nice plus.

core technology: two choices, 90nm or 130nm. 90nm run cooler and overclock higher. 130nm are older technlogoy. all new AMD chips are 90nm.

single or dual core: obviously, dual is better, but it all depends what you do. most games and software is very linear, so only one core is used, while other sits idle. if you do lots of multi-tasking, both will work fully and you'd notice a huge difference. if all you do is gaming, since games are only recently becomming programmed to take advantage of both cores, you wont find too much diffference now between single and dual, but you will, say in 6 months time. I think it will catch on quicker than 64-bit has.

now, to further complicate things, even 1.8ghz Athlon64 can be pushed to 2.4ghz or more when overclocked, and the new Opteron Socket 939 are said to be even better overclockers.

so if you want the best of the best, get the fastest X2 or dual-core Opteron if you want dual core, or fastest FX or single-core Opteron if you dont need dual core. but if you plan on getting best bang for the buck (i.e. 'overclock', the single and dual core Opterons that run at 1.8 or 2.0ghz are flying off the shelves so fast. I think single core is the 144 or 146, and dual is the 165 or 170.
 12/23/2005 01:51 PM

Author Icon
zpert

Ok, things are a little clearer now after both your replies. So, if I'm getting this, the X2 and Opteron dual cores are both pretty much the same, but Opteron is made sure to have the best quality silicone and all the other stuff that goes into a proc. The FX-57 is the fastest single core out there.

My question now is this... I've heard that for single-threaded games and apps, the FX-57 is faster than Opterons and X2s. If this is true, then woudn't that mean the FX-57s processor is faster when directly compared to one of the processors on the Opterons/X2s, since the dual-core processors are only using one core? Now, if THIS is true, then when the FX-60 dual-core comes out on the market, odds are that it will take over as THE fastest dual-core processor? Hopefully I was clear here, if I wasn't I can explain in more detail. Thanks a lot for the help, I'm pretty sure I'm a lot clearer on the 3 types of procs.
-zpert
 12/23/2005 10:06 PM

Author Icon
Prelude76

when you stack up the Opeteron, X2, and FX, whichever runs the fastest ghz will be the fastest at a particular task that only uses one core. If you're going to use software specifically designed for dual-core, the dual-core chips will fly past even the fastest FX-57.

Also, it's a bit confusing, since FX-57 is single core, and runs at 2.8ghz, while the new FX-60 will be dual core, but run at 2.6ghz. so in some instances, where dual-core cannot be used, the FX-57 will end up beating the FX-60.

what's your budget for a CPU? How do you feel about overclocking option?

also, in terms of best pick of the silicon litter, the FX series gets the best specimens, followed by Opteron, then X2 and A64. Yeah, Opterons, even the 1.8 or 2.0ghz could be overclocked to 2.8ghz or more, but the FX-57 does that guaranteed, so the best speed binned chips go to the FX series, and its true, when the FX-60 comes out, the best dual-core chips will be FX (at 2.6ghz) while the Opteron 180 and X2 4800+ that are out right now are made to run at 2.4ghz at stock.
 12/23/2005 10:42 PM

Author Icon
Starage

Is there really going to be a FX 60. Will the FX go dual core? Best bang for the buck is the X2, unless only the best is good enough, then the FX 57 is the best . CPU's over $1000.00 is just crazy. $250-600 I think is a good price. If you are thinking of waiting for the FX 60 why, just wait for the M2's (that will be the best over all). Opteron's 1xx are low cost single cpu servers. Opteron's 2xx and 8xx are top end server chips!

-------------------------
Asus K8N-DL
Dual Opteron 275
Four 512 Corsair XMS Twinx Registered ECC PC3200
Ati X1900 AIW
Corsair 620W
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information